so if I don't purchase a drink or dining package will we starve or dehydrate?

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have never purchased a beverage on a cruise ship .On our first cruise in 1973 there was no such thing as a beverage package.

Wow I didnt know there was anyone who never bought a drink. .. we found him!!

Even cheapo me I've purchased some drinks, mocktails or regular. .. and I'm cheap. I'd rather eat than drink tbh, so I'm more apt to pay for food than drinks I admit.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Wow I didnt know there was anyone who never bought a drink. .. we found him!!

Even cheapo me I've purchased some drinks, mocktails or regular. .. and I'm cheap. I'd rather eat than drink tbh, so I'm more apt to pay for food than drinks I admit.

Nothing to do with the cost .I do not drink alcohol,coffee or soda.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nothing to do with the cost .I do not drink alcohol,coffee or soda.

I treat myself to a fresh squeezed OJ every morning. It was so good last march, one morning I had 2. I also have gone to the spa and picked up a bottle of vitamin water. Though other water will do, I like the vitamin water onboard. So I guess you dont like juice or water either. And milk shakes and blended spa health drinks. And I'm not much at consuming liquids, like most people. I dont drink liquids much but I still get a few things to drink. 

I'm just saying you are the first I've seen who says he never bought any drink onboard that costs extra. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm just saying you are the first I've seen who says he never bought any drink onboard that costs extra. 

I’m close. I think I used some bogo beer perks a long time ago at Emerald but that’s it. I’m way too frugal pay for anything non-alcoholic (I even drank the awful included coffee before turning Diamond). I’m the same way in restaurants on land; I just drink water. So I’m perfectly content on the ship just drinking flavored water & ice tea mostly.

Being Diamond covers the coffee (I ❤️ the DL machine) & alcohol now (not a huge drinker & my wife rarely uses all 4 of her vouchers).

I’d much sooner spend some money on food (which I do of course). Everyone has their own values & preferences.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have never purchased a beverage on a cruise ship .On our first cruise in 1973 there was no such thing as a beverage package.

I was thinking the same thing.  Our first cruise was in 1983 and correct, there was no beverage package.  Pretty sure that in 2003, 2010, 2015, and many other years we cruised, there was no beverage or dining packages.  The only ones making out with these is RCCL.  What a waste of money.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I treat myself to a fresh squeezed OJ every morning. It was so good last march, one morning I had 2. I also have gone to the spa and picked up a bottle of vitamin water. Though other water will do, I like the vitamin water onboard. So I guess you dont like juice or water either. And milk shakes and blended spa health drinks. And I'm not much at consuming liquids, like most people. I dont drink liquids much but I still get a few things to drink. 

In 2003 I began seeing a Nutritionist.She changed my diet entirely.No juices except for all natural cranberry.I begin my day with a cup of boiled water and the juice of 1/2 lemon.I end my breakfast with a cup of decaffeinated herbal tea.My breakfast consists of two slices of Spelt bread with two tablespoons of all natural almond butter.

After breakfast I have an 8 ounce glass of bottled water with a multiple vitamin ,vitamin C-1000 mg ,CO-Q 10 - 100 mg .one cranberry pill-200 mg.,,one teaspoon of black elderberry syrup,one zypan bill,one culturelle capsule.Lunch is 14 all natural roasted almonds,one slice Muenster cheese on one slice of spelt bread ,followed by 1000 mg of Vit.C,100 mg of CO-Q10,one zypan pill,8 ounces of bottled water.Dinner is anything I wish but I limit meat to once a week.Followed by 2 tablespoons of Cod Liver Oil,400 mg of Vit.E ,one multiple vitamin,1000 mg of Vit.c,one zypan pill and 750 mg of a calcium pill will 8oz.of water.

I do not smoke ,drink alcohol,do not eat junk food.I am in my 80’s but look 20 years younger.I have not had a cold or a respiratory illness since 2016.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 2003 I began seeing a Nutritionist.She changed my diet entirely.No juices except for all natural cranberry.I begin my day with a cup of boiled water and the juice of 1/2 lemon.I end my breakfast with a cup of decaffeinated herbal tea.My breakfast consists of two slices of Spelt bread with two tablespoons of all natural almond butter.

After breakfast I have an 8 ounce glass of bottled water with a multiple vitamin ,vitamin C-1000 mg ,CO-Q 10 - 100 mg .one cranberry pill-200 mg.,,one teaspoon of black elderberry syrup,one zypan bill,one culturelle capsule.Lunch is 14 all natural roasted almonds,one slice Muenster cheese on one slice of spelt bread ,followed by 1000 mg of Vit.C,100 mg of CO-Q10,one zypan pill,8 ounces of bottled water.Dinner is anything I wish but I limit meat to once a week.Followed by 2 tablespoons of Cod Liver Oil,400 mg of Vit.E ,one multiple vitamin,1000 mg of Vit.c,one zypan pill and 750 mg of a calcium pill will 8oz.of water.

I do not smoke ,drink alcohol,do not eat junk food.I am in my 80’s but look 20 years younger.I have not had a cold or a respiratory illness since 2016.

When did you last cruise with this diet?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scooter6251 said:

What a waste of money.

That’s your personal opinion. If it’s worth it to someone else & they enjoy whichever package then it’s not a waste to them.

Everyone values things differently & chooses to spend their money accordingly.

• Like 5

Heading on the Oasis in early November with my DD. I have been reading these boards and have wondered the same thing. Primarily about the food. It seems that everyone is spending extra on the food and they must be selling a great deal of beverage packages. Have cruised for about 30 years, many years more than once, and the only time I've had a beverage package or specialty dining was when it was part of a promotion and I could justify the cost of gratuities.

I do like a beverage package, but my light drinking habits, beer-only, and the high per-day cost of the package make it easy for me to skip it. If the package makes sense for you, do the package. If not, don't do the package. It does make things easier and I do find that I might have that extra drink that I don't really need when I have the package.

I haven't been on this class of RCI ship before and I will take it as a challenge to see where and when I can find decent included food.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vswan said:

I haven't been on this class of RCI ship before and I will take it as a challenge to see where and when I can find decent included food.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and food is very subjective but it's no challenge for me. I've never had a problem finding plenty of decent included food, especially on Oasis class. WJ, Solarium Bistro, Park Cafe, El Loco Fresh, Sorrento's... all fine with me. MDR is probably my least favorite venue (has been long before Covid and menu changes) but even the food there is usually edible by my standards.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 7:28 AM, OCSC Mike said:

That’s your personal opinion. If it’s worth it to someone else & they enjoy whichever package then it’s not a waste to them.

Everyone values things differently & chooses to spend their money accordingly.

Exactly, I have to laugh at somebody who doesn't drink but calls it a waste of money for those who choose to enjoy alcoholic beverages when on vacation. A little judgmental perhaps?

• Like 2

My grandmother, mother and I went on Wonder of the Seas.  While we did get the 3-night package, I would not recommend it at all.  Two out of three restaurants were disappointing.  (Surprisingly, Wonderland was the one restaurant where I really enjoyed all the food, from apps to mains and dessert!) We drank as if we had the drink package, and in the end, we spent about $300 total on drinks for a seven night sailing, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $1500 that the drink package would have cost! I'd recommend ala carte all day! If you want to get ahead of the budget, you can even purchase onboard credit ahead of time so it feels like you're getting things for free.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:49 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I also took my first cruise in 1973--I agree, drink packages were non-existent, much less televisions in rooms, or wi-fi.  But we still had a fabulous time!!

Oh, I like to go dancing in the nightclubs and take long busy excursions with lots of walking, and I am eating in a healthy manner (no fast food, more salads.). I am happy to say every time I cruise I come back in better shape than when I left--I actually lose weight rather than gain weight--yippee!

(I also do not drink alcohol or coffee--but I do drink a daily soda or lemonade.)

Edited by LibertyBella

Well, while I was young and robbing Peter to pay Paul I cruised on the cheap. But I had to have a balcony. We only did what was free. Our account would be less than $20. This was before auto gratuities. We passed gratuities out in those envelopes.

I'm not a big soda drinker nor alcohol drinker so I'm fine with the water and lemonade on board. We finally reached Diamond an we have a hard time spending our 8 vouchers between the hubs and I. While cruising Our last conversation before bed is usually, how many vouchers do you have left? LOL! 

Now with A few job promotions and a little extra disposable income, We once got a great deal on a dining pkg during covid. It was like $99/pp for a 7 day cruise. WE LOVED IT! We will splurge on it if we find a great deal. But 89% of the time we go to Windjammer or MDR for dinner. 

Plenty of free food and drinks. You do not need to spend anything extra. 

Edited by cynt
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 3:08 PM, diazwoman61 said:

It has been a long time since I was on a cruise. We drink very little alcohol so we will just put those on room cards, if I do not buy packages where/when/how do the kids access water, once in a while a soda and I access cold tea and hot coffee? I am assuming these are available in the windjammer? can you bring your on sports bottle and fill it for the day?

as for food, is it the windjammer and dining room our total options if I do not upgrade a dining package?

thanks for the info

You will definitely starve and/or dehydrate. Definitely do not cruise. 

On 9/9/2023 at 11:36 AM, BridgeMates said:

What if partner wants the drink pkg and I only want the non-alcoholic pkg, can we do this?

You can call in and ask for one person to have the full package and the other to have the non-alcoholic package.  They will act like they're doing you a big favor. 

Note you must pay for the package on the day you order it; that is, it doesn't get added to your bill to be paid at some point in the future.  

On 9/9/2023 at 2:17 PM, firefly333 said:

n cheapo me I've purchased some drinks, mocktails or regular. .. and I'm cheap. I'd rather eat than drink tbh, so I'm more apt to pay for food than drinks I admit.

I'm not far from purchasing no drinks.  I probably purchase two alcoholic drinks in a one-week cruise, and if those were suddenly unavailable (fat chance), I wouldn't care.  I bring my own sodas in my carry-on backpack (so much cheaper), and I don't drink coffee or juice. 

14 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I also took my first cruise in 1973--I agree, drink packages were non-existent, much less televisions in rooms, or wi-fi.  But we still had a fabulous time!!

Oh, I like to go dancing in the nightclubs and take long busy excursions with lots of walking, and I am eating in a healthy manner (no fast food, more salads.). I am happy to say every time I cruise I come back in better shape than when I left--I actually lose weight rather than gain weight--yippee!

(I also do not drink alcohol or coffee--but I do drink a daily soda or lemonade.)

I have never gained weight on a cruise.My cruise day begins with an hour of exercise in the Fitness Center before breakfast.On Sea days walking on the ship for at least an hour.Then either engaging in a Trivia competition or sitting by a window reading a book.

On port days ,Fitness Center for 45 minutes and as much walking as possible in the port.

• Like 1