Live from the Silver Cloud - Reykjavik to Ft Lauderdale September 8 - October 1

spinnaker2

Today is a sea day. Yesterday was our last day in Greenland, and I must say it was worth every moment. Perhaps not enough Greenland. Definitely not enough Greenland.

Winter will come to Greenland in about two weeks and things will change rapidly. As it was,  when we traveled through some areas one could hear the noise of the ice crunching. The temperature of the air was way above freezing. Some waterways will soon become impassable. 

I am not sure of the regulations regarding cruising in these waters or in the national parks of Greenland, but expect to hear more stringent supervision or rules in the future due to the recent grounding of the expedition vessel. 

Until you see Greenland you really can’t comprehend the vast remoteness of it. Nothing is close to anything else. Rescue is difficult. 

There are plenty of events planned for pax for the day. A lunch on deck by the pool with “Indian” food. Painting class, trivia, lectures, photography studio. Or just chilling in your suite or on the verandah. 

Notably absent is any news of the impending hurricane or the impact it may have on this cruise. Perhaps that will come with the captains announcement at noon.

Pax are upbeat and smiling. 

The crew are terrific as usual. 

Tonight is Venetian night. 

• Like 9

Well, I can give you my update on Lee - it’s happening right here, right now. 
Fortunately, and I hope it’s course doesn’t wobble, it’s just far enough to our west that we’re getting storm force winds rather than hurricane force. 
That hasn’t stopped the power going off already this morning, although mine is now back on. 

I bet they’re not saying much to you because it’s going to be a bit tricky - you and Lee have to cross paths and it’ll all be in the timing. 

Best of luck! I’m sure you’ll have a great cruise, however it floats out. 

• Like 3

Hello Jolly.

I am glad to hear you are ok.

We watched this one before we left home and boarded up partially. 

As far as any announcements here, the silence is deafening. There are no noontime announcements as in a non expedition cruise. We are about in the middle of the Labrador Sea and heading towards St Anthony, Newfoundland at 12 knots. Wind is from the south at 28 knots.  Doesn’t seem like we are rushing anywhere. We are to arrive on the 16th of September. Looking at the charts, not sure where any safe haven would be along the way. 

I totally get the tricky and the timing.

• Like 3

Sea Day 2. 

Rough night, creaking and shuddering and wind and rain. Rocked to sleep by the sea, but also aware of it.

Lunch at the Restaurant was memorable as we watched the waves. The word of the day was wow. Then, the waves subsided. The sea is a steely grey and seabirds are skittering across the crests of the water. Not a word from the Captain. The briefing will be this evening around 6. 

20230915_103910_HDRCopy.thumb.jpeg.1e30cb42fc57e2af1238a4bbed927546.jpeg

20230915_102632Copy.thumb.jpeg.25e196bc7f0d4c144d446d5a02463a6b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Actually the sun is out at the moment. Weather is totally downplayed by expedition leader. 

Mushroom anyone?

In this particular case,  I would be listening to Chicken Little!  Just saying. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Have never seen a cloud formation like it.  Scary!

Stumbles, they are very rare. I consider myself very lucky! 

Don't know if it's clear but you could easily see the dark middle at the open end of the tubular cloud on the right. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adieu to St Anthony. The fog has rolled in. We are on our way to the next destination. I am not sure which port because the Chronicles and the tv conflict. It seems it will be a day at sea as we skip St. Pierre due to storm Lee.

I do miss the Captains announcements at noon which are informative. The expedition briefing at 6 in the "explorers lounge" is a bit contrived, with some filler and missing substance. 

20230916_114439~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The expedition leader just announced that we will be in St John's overnight due to weather. 

There are some clouds in the sky but the sun is shining at the moment. This little harbor is crowded with ships, I imagine taking refuge as we now will be.

The tour buses are off to see the sights. 

As we have been here many times we will find a place onboard to enjoy the solitude and the sol.

The lighthouse hasn't changed much since our last visit except for some new graffiti.

20230917_081807_HDR2.thumb.jpg.e0ebcaeef21e684122cd15ca6c9511fc.jpg

• Like 6

19 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The expedition leader just announced that we will be in St John's overnight due to weather. 

There are some clouds in the sky but the sun is shining at the moment. This little harbor is crowded with ships, I imagine taking refuge as we now will be.

The tour buses are off to see the sights. 

As we have been here many times we will find a place onboard to enjoy the solitude and the sol.

Lucky you! We've never been there, despite it being on two different itineraries that we've sailed.

The first time we tried, the weather was bad, so we couldn't get into the harbor. We spent a few hours bobbing around outside the narrows and then gave up.

The second time, it was dropped from our itinerary a few weeks before sailing. No reason given.

Hope you have smooth sailing from here on!

• Like 4