Live from the Silver Cloud - Reykjavik to Ft Lauderdale September 8 - October 1

spinnaker2

@TLCOhio

Good points (as always) about inherent mechanical and systems problems with older ships. But apparently ships---like cars and, I suppose, people---don't necessarily age at the same rate. Case in point: the two Sea Dream Yacht Club ships, which entered service in 1984 and 1985, about ten years before the Silver Cloud. Although I've never been on either Sea Dream ship, I occasionally check the CC Sea Dream boards because I have a friend who often sails on the line. I have rarely, if ever, heard or read a complaint about the condition of those ships.

Our one time on the (pre-expedition) Cloud was similar to yours, Terry. We were in the most far-forward starboard-side Vista cabin, and the noise when they dropped anchor (which was early each morning on a port-intensive Caribbean cruise) was deafening! We did, though, put up with it and otherwise had a great cruise.

Jim

Terry.

I think the Cloud has been sold. I don't think it's going to be turned over for awhile.

I am aware the Explorer has been sold. She's on her last voyages now.

As for anchor noise, we had that in the Royal Suite on the Spirit too! Sounds like army of chains rattling in the walls. Those suites in the bow from vista to verandah and above get anchor noise. You were lucky that you were moved and that Silversea was so accommodating.

We have sailed the Cloud before she was made ice class.

We had a wonderful time aboard.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

@TLCOhio

Good points (as always) about inherent mechanical and systems problems with older ships. But apparently ships---like cars and, I suppose, people---don't necessarily age at the same rate. Case in point: the two Sea Dream Yacht Club ships, which entered service in 1984 and 1985, about ten years before the Silver Cloud. Although I've never been on either Sea Dream ship, I occasionally check the CC Sea Dream boards because I have a friend who often sails on the line. I have rarely, if ever, heard or read a complaint about the condition of those ships.

Our one time on the (pre-expedition) Cloud was similar to yours, Terry. We were in the most far-forward starboard-side Vista cabin, and the noise when they dropped anchor (which was early each morning on a port-intensive Caribbean cruise) was deafening! We did, though, put up with it and otherwise had a great cruise.

Jim

I Think the biggest insult to the op is the fact that they are touting a reasonably high end suite and then acting dumb when the already known problems are brought to their attention and flap about trying to "fix" a problem that they know realistically can't be fixed. It's a despicable way to treat your loyal guests. Honesty is something that SS as a company is quite happy to forgo if they believe that they might just get away with pretending otherwise. I Witnessed this first hand on our disastrous post Spirit stretch cruise. We were lied to left right and centre. I For one don't react very well when I'm assumed to be a mug. If SS are happy to carry on chancing their arm on people not complaining then fair enough, that's their game plan. They need to accept though that when they game people on very well deserved vacations that they know are going to be less than stellar because of a problem that they are knowingly unable to fix then they need to put their hands up. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Breakfast awaits when we awake. I will miss this but this won't make me come back to Silversea. 

20230930_0819342.thumb.jpg.3a94c9a42eeb0b9b92eb8a41ee0746c3.jpg

Packing day.

Last day aboard.

Pool is surrounded by sun loungers but no pax yet. This is the most sunbeds put out by staff of any day of this cruise.

Sun is not quite cooperating but soon!

20230930_0648442.thumb.jpg.3003e1b2fd50dc848a124ebbf084afa9.jpg

Speed of 13 knots. Gentle rock and roll. Wind at our port side.

Ft Lauderdale here we come. Home sweet home.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Breakfast awaits when we awake. I will miss this but this won't make me come back to Silversea.  Packing day.  Last day aboard.  Ft Lauderdale here we come. Home sweet home.

YES, having that breakfast ready and served on the ship is wonderful.  Good luck for your last and final day as you are seeking to arrive safe back home.  Appreciate all of the great pictures and details (good and bad) that you have shared.  It's been fun and interesting for traveling along during this "adventure"!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

The final day is almost over. 

An Asian lunch planned for the pool deck was hastily moved to the MDR when the rains came. Kudos to the deck team and MDR team who were able to complete the move without the loss of an egg roll. Because the time of trivia is often moved, today the MDR team were slammed with pax after 1 pm. They handled it with ease and finesse and graciousness. 

The MDR team is quite special, with the addition of Melody and Joseph. Abigail too is such a seasoned pro, wonderful person (her husband is aboard too, a chef in LaT). Chesley is a new waitstaff and a delight. Vasily in La Dame, we have known for years, and then all the great staff in LaT, Mehdi, and Vipin and Nobleman and Blessing. The maitred in LaT always made certain that everything was well with us, and the special assistance with the buffet provided to Dr Spins was greatly appreciated . I am sure i am leaving someone out. 

Justice is a new sommelier to Silversea, a treasure. He has great suggestions and surprises.

If I sound effusive about the crew, I am. 

We no longer have the written questionnaire, its a computerized screen thing that leaves no room for explanation. 

Our suite is tended to by Neil and our butler Eduardo. I have learned Eduardo has 13 suites, including 4 silver suites and the owners suite. I think that is stretching it too thin. We have often just taken towel replacements rather than having our suite made up. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

The final day is almost over. 

An Asian lunch planned for the pool deck was hastily moved to the MDR when the rains came. Kudos to the deck team and MDR team who were able to complete the move without the loss of an egg roll. Because the time of trivia is often moved, today the MDR team were slammed with pax after 1 pm. They handled it with ease and finesse and graciousness. 

The MDR team is quite special, with the addition of Melody and Joseph. Abigail too is such a seasoned pro, wonderful person. Chesley is a new waitstaff and a delight. Vasily in La Dame, we have known for years, and then all the great staff in LaT, Mehdi, and Vipin and Nobleman and Blessing. The maitred in LaT always made certain that everything was well with us, and the special assistance with the buffet provided to Dr Spins was greatly appreciated . I am sure i am leaving someone out. 

Justice is a new sommelier to Silversea, a treasure. He has great suggestions and surprises.

If I sound effusive about the crew, I am. 

We no longer have the written questionnaire, its a computerized screen thing that leaves no room for explanation. 

Our suite is tended to by Neil and our butler Eduardo. I have learned Eduardo has 13 suites, including 4 silver suites and the owners suite. I think that is stretching it too thin. We have often just taken towel replacements rather than having our suite made up. 

If only your fellow passengers were as considerate of staff burdens as you are instead of trying to use their butler service to the max to get their money's worth.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We have often just taken towel replacements rather than having our suite made up. 

Good call!

We too aften ask for a towel replacement or quick fluff.  Although nice, I don't feel our bathroom needs to be scrubbed twice a day.😁  We are especially mindful on days when staff might be able to leave the ship or go on an excursion.  

Restocking of the fridge and coffee pods,  now that's a different story.🤣

• Like 2

15 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The final day is almost over. Justice is a new sommelier to Silversea, a treasure. He has great suggestions and surprises.   If I sound effusive about the crew, I am.   We no longer have the written questionnaire, its a computerized screen thing that leaves no room for explanation. 

Appreciate the great and well-deserved "shout-outs" to the Silversea staff members.  Nice!!  Back home, yet?  After getting "rested up", let us know what adventures and travels are next.  

THANKS for the posting visuals, sharing!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• 1 month later...

A month and some days later…

We cancelled our upcoming expedition cruise.

We are still feeling quite bruised by our experience on the Cloud, specifically as to the sewage odors which could not be fixed. Many did try to fix it, or at least made it look as if they were trying to fix the problem. The engineer who told us that it could never be fixed was the most honest of the lot. 

While those in charge gave lip service to the issue, acknowledging it with the polite “I’m so sorry”, and “the crew is trying to fix it”, as soon as we were off the ship they washed their hands of us.  

Approaching 500 days and years of cruising with Silversea, we feel trod upon.  

Will we ever cruise with Silversea again?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@spinnaker2

We were actually booked on your cruise (or at least the Reykjavik-to-Halifax segment),but cancelled due to a (now-resolved) medical issue. We wound up losing $500 of our deposit, although that is now applicable to a future SS cruise. Your accounts of the cruise make me glad I cancelled. At this point, I'd still consider a future SS cruise, but no way in hell would it be on the Cloud. Although your issues may, on the surface, be unique to the Cloud, they call into question SS's overall competency and customer service. I may just let them keep the $500 and consider myself ahead in the game.

Sad, because my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our three previous SS cruises. But I'm not about to throw good money after bad.

Jim

18 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We are still feeling quite bruised by our experience on the Cloud, specifically as to the sewage odors which could not be fixed. Many did try to fix it, or at least made it look as if they were trying to fix the problem. The engineer who told us that it could never be fixed was the most honest of the lot. 

While those in charge gave lip service to the issue, acknowledging it with the polite “I’m so sorry”, and “the crew is trying to fix it”, as soon as we were off the ship they washed their hands of us.  

You’ve had nearly 500 days and you are allowing one bad experience to jeopardise your future cruises with a company you obviously love? I hope you were compensated for your bad experience but I would give them another chance to redeem themselves. You’re on a ship, these things happen. Move on and feel lucky that you are able to cruise the world.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Hi Candy,

Stick with the new ships! I only look at the Moon, Dawn, Nova and Ray now (altho' the pics of the Nova closet Lois has just posted are disturbing).

There's gotta be Spaccanapoli and the Arts Cafe or I'm not interested. And the much bigger and better bathrooms (compared to Wind and Cloud).

Don't give up, I keep hoping we'll meet again aboard SS somewhere.

• Like 2

We were on the Halifax to Fort Lauderdale leg of this cruise, but not in a Silver Suite, and did not suffer from the odors described above. We did have A/C and ventilation issues that were corrected in about 6-8 hours after reporting them to various officials. This was our first SS cruise in 10 years, and we were happy enough, but would probably not book on that ship again unless it was an actual expedition voyage. 

I was surprised that the Captain on the Cloud communicated with the passengers rarely, and left that mostly up to the Head of the Expedition Team. Most of his team were friendly, but a few were kind of standoffish, at least to me. We did really enjoy the Social Director, who should have been the Cruise Director, but he did not have the title for some reason. 

Our next SS cruise will be on the Muse, which I am told will have more things to do and more places to eat, which will be nice since there are quite a few sea days involved.

• Like 1

Just for clarification, we have heard nothing from Silversea regarding our experience in suite 726 since disembarkation. We received nothing from them during the cruise but we did get an acknowledgement letter mid cruise saying they were “sorry” and that they were trying to fix the issue. It never was fixed.

And yes, in the main, we have enjoyed our cruises with Silversea. The crew are stellar. We’ve met some lovely people aboard. 

The first segment of this cruise was an expedition cruise, the second half definitely was not. This doesn’t have an impact on us, we knew what the itinerary was and we chose the voyage for the opportunity to see Iceland and Greenland. There were lots of weather issues, these don't bother us, we enjoy varied weather at sea! 

The vessel was the destination for us.