Sailing with non-relative child

Malimir7

We have a 15-year-old girl leaving with us who is going on our cruise. Her mother is deceased, and her dad is MIA. I called MSC and they told me all I need is her birth certificate which we have. However, Google search finds comments that we need an affidavit saying we can travel with her, but I cannot find anything anywhere "official" that says we have to have it.

My question is, has anyone traveled with MSC with a child that is not related to them with just their birth certificate?

My biggest fear is we get to the cruise port and they deny her boarding, then I have to miss the cruise with the rest of my family.

Thanks in advance,

Jody

2 hours ago, Malimir7 said:

We have a 15-year-old girl leaving with us who is going on our cruise. Her mother is deceased, and her dad is MIA. I called MSC and they told me all I need is her birth certificate which we have. However, Google search finds comments that we need an affidavit saying we can travel with her, but I cannot find anything anywhere "official" that says we have to have it.

My question is, has anyone traveled with MSC with a child that is not related to them with just their birth certificate?

My biggest fear is we get to the cruise port and they deny her boarding, then I have to miss the cruise with the rest of my family.

Thanks in advance,

Jody

I assume she has a Guardian.  Have Guardian write a letter (many examples on line) allowing permission for her to accompany your family on the trip. Show the dates , any airline information and the ship sailing information. They should also give you authority to act on their behalf in the case of a medical emergency. Have it notarized. This will probably be more valuable when you return to US and go through immigration.

Edited by lcpagejr
omission

11 hours ago, Malimir7 said:

I called MSC and they told me all I need is her birth certificate which we have. However, Google search finds comments that we need an affidavit saying we can travel with her, but I cannot find anything anywhere "official" that says we have to have it.

They have answered correctly for the requirement to re-enter the US after a closed loop cruise (which I assume this is?) .. but they missed the point that she is unrelated to you...

This is the official position MSC take as per their published US terms:

"Passengers under the age of 21 (on voyages that include a port in the USA) or 18 (on voyages that do not include a port in the USA) must travel accompanied by their parents or a legal guardian. If one of the traveling minor’s parents is not cruising, then a signed authorization letter made in accordance with the laws of the country where the minor resides from the absent parent authorizing the minor to travel must be provided at the time of Booking. If the minor is traveling with Passengers that are not his/her parents or legal guardians, then a document signed by the parents or legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with a chaperone or other designated individual must be provided at the time of Booking, in accordance with Company policies"

Personally, even without that statement in their terms, I wouldn't consider taking an unrelated minor out of the country without proper authorization as you will have no ability to give permission for any medical care should it be needed...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Malimir7 said:

Thank you for this! Do you mind sending me the link to the document you referenced?

You should already have this as part of your original booking documentation:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/-/media/US/Documents/Booking Terms and Conditions 230713.pdf

Section 6. PASSPORT, VISAS AND MINORS.

Edited by Mark_T

How do you have possession of the child? Are you foster parents or some other legally appointed caretaker?

You need to have a document trail that shows that you are legally allowed to leave the country with a sixteen year old girl.

A sixteen year old girl is a very valuable commodity on the market.

She has been with us for six months. Dad lives 12 hours away. I have never met him, only spoken with him briefly on the phone once, and only a few text messages. I text him, but he doesn’t respond.

I was her teacher last year and she asked me if I would adopt her. She knew we adopted children. We worked with Cps and the family member she was staying with and now she’s with us. But we don’t have legal custody of her.

we are working with the courts, but courts are difficult and expensive 

Everything I am finding on US Government sites says it is dependant on the country/countries you are traveling to. So really, it is up to MSC what policy they want to enforce at the terminal. This is what the US State Department says:

• Consent for Travel with Minors: If you are traveling alone with children, foreign border officials may require custody documents or notarized written consent from the other parent. Check with the embassy of your foreign destination before traveling to see what you may need.

If you worked with Child Protection Services to have her placed with you, I would contact her case worker and see if documentation could be obtained from CPS allowing you to travel with her.

It is a tricky situation and I would make sure that that you have the documentation needed before showing up at the pier.

I personally wouldn't take the chance of taking the minor on the trip without legal proof of guardianship. You risk not only removal of the minor from your care but actual criminal prosecution even from the country(ies) you would visit. 

Look at all the stories about mixed gender parents on an airplane that get accused of child trafficking. Here you don't even have the minimal required paperwork. Even in  your home town if the minor ended up needing emergency treatment you do not have the legal authority to give consent and the Hospital would have to step in and that can start you down the road you are trying to avoid and you want to do this taking a minor out of the country for a vacation? 

6 hours ago, Malimir7 said:

She has been with us for six months. Dad lives 12 hours away. I have never met him, only spoken with him briefly on the phone once, and only a few text messages. I text him, but he doesn’t respond.

I was her teacher last year and she asked me if I would adopt her. She knew we adopted children. We worked with Cps and the family member she was staying with and now she’s with us. But we don’t have legal custody of her.

we are working with the courts, but courts are difficult and expensive 

Don't lose sight of the fact that you are doing a wonderful thing for a vulnerable minor as you navigate through this, but from what you've said, all your answers are likely to be obtained via CPS at this point, and they should probably have been the first place to seek approval when planning a vacation outside the US.

Hope it all works out for all concerned.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:21 PM, Malimir7 said:

Thanks in advance,

Jody

Make sure you keep all paperwork with you upon disembarkation, as Border Patrol will verify that the minor is allowed to travel with you.

Someone with 5 posts (all in this thread) asking how to travel with a 15 yr old girl that they aren't the legal guardians for, out of the country.  This isn't suspect at all!!!! Not sure any part of this conversation should be on this forum.  

As no one knows the person posting, or the circumstances, my advice would be to give no advice as you could be contributing to a trafficking situation.