The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 7th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, 57redbird said:

We usually stay at the Marriott Sea-Tac hotel & occasionally at the Southcenter Courtyard.   Both have shuttles & restaurants either at the site or nearby.

We really liked the Marriott as well, nice dinner, great breakfast and really comfortable beds. 

praying for Baby Murphy and family! 

@Mr. Boston that is an interesting area, hope you can explore the basque area and try the tapas in San Sebastián if possible! 
@Crazy For Cats love the photos of Newfoundland 

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Mr. Boston that is an interesting area, hope you can explore the basque area and try the tapas in San Sebastián if possible! 

I can’t resist - sorry Brenda.  The Basque area serves pintxos.  They are their version of tapas but not called tapas.  IIRC correctly, pronounced pinchos (like peenchos). I need DD DH to confirm that.

You can beat me with a wet noodle now 🤣

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

I can’t resist - sorry Brenda.  The Basque area serves pintxos.  They are their version of tapas but not called tapas.  IIRC correctly, pronounced pinchos (like peenchos). I need DD DH to confirm that.

You can beat me with a wet noodle now 🤣

No, you are so right!    I totally forgot!   Lol!   Wet noodle 😂 for me as I actually have some Basque heritage.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10

We are just back from DH's follow up appointment with our Primary Care doctor. She was very pleased with his recovery as he reported his pain level and other intangibles, and said that his lungs sounded good as ever with air moving around as it is supposed to. Best news?  You know what it's going to be, don't you?

Go on your cruise, have a good time, just don't do any pirouettes!

A huge and heartfelt thanks to every one of you for your thoughts, prayers, and encouragement!

• Like 28

A few words about Seattle:  I used to be proud of the city.  I was born there, my father was born there and my grandmother was born there in 1867 when it was a town.  For years we had season tickets to the Fifth Avenue Theater with great entertainment.  Two years ago we decided not to resubscribe as I no longer feel safe walking up from the ferry to Fifth Avenue.  I think the causes are mostly political, but we don't discuss politics here, so I won't go into that.  

I am not sure I understand the situation around Baby Murphy.  I understand that the mother is saying do not resuscitate if the baby stops breathing and the primary care doctor is saying "don't give up so easily"  Is that correct?

Ray

• Like 12

I have 15 minutes before im back on the clock, but wanted to share two things.

I love hummus.  I hate chickpeas. to me it is a texture thing.  Slimy little buggers.  I used to laugh at my old room mate when she said she didn't like lobster or crab, because it was a texture thing.  Silly girl. I so get it.  I,  of course do not have a problem with the texture of crab or lobster (except for the outside...LOL)

When my father was in the final stages of life, his body told him or stopped him from swallowing food.

His doc recommended that we insert a feeding tube, and chances were 50/50 that either he would start eating again, or be fed the rest of his life with the tube.  4 weeks later, he developed severe edema,  and on my last visit to see him, he was bleeding from nose, mouth, tube.   I have no idea how or when that happened, as I had talked to him two days prior.  But two days after I got there he died.

After he passed, with my father lying in front of me, the nurse grabbed my arm, and told me what an idiot I was for trying to keep my father alive.  The doctor shouldn't  have made that decision, and I should not have gone along with it.  All you did, she said, was make your father suffer. 

So, its not just doctors who lay guilt on those making the decisions.  I will always remember that day, and the evilness in her voice. (dad passed in 1998).  He, in my opinion was not old. Only 81.I think he may have stood a chance of eating again, but perhaps he needed more attention that he was getting at the nursing home he was in.

two minutes left-sea tac airport hotel, Holiday Inn express-they shuttled us to the ship, they shuttled us to restaurants in the area.  since Covid who knows.

hugs, and back to work.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Garden Club: today the doorbell rang, just once, when I couldn't immediately answer it, and since I was expecting a delivery from Fedex, whose drivers typically ring once, I didn't hurry. When I got to the door, I found that there was a second package there, from Bluestone Perennials. I didn't order anything from them for the fall.

It turns out to be a plant that was backordered in the spring, Monarda 'Grape Gumball.' Unfortunately, I don't remember where I intended to plant it, or why I ordered this color.

MonardaGrapeGumball.jpg.02fb8060656adb689aab233bb4e5533e.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Garden Club: today the doorbell rang, just once, when I couldn't immediately answer it, and since I was expecting a delivery from Fedex, whose drivers typically ring once, I didn't hurry. When I got to the door, I found that there was a second package there, from Bluestone Perennials. I didn't order anything from them for the fall.

It turns out to be a plant that was backordered in the spring, Monarda 'Grape Gumball.' Unfortunately, I don't remember where I intended to plant it, or why I ordered this color.

MonardaGrapeGumball.jpg.02fb8060656adb689aab233bb4e5533e.jpg

Gorgeous "Bee Balm"!  I have one in a deep scarlet (don't know the full name).  I hope you find a good spot for it. 🙂 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

We are just back from DH's follow up appointment with our Primary Care doctor. She was very pleased with his recovery as he reported his pain level and other intangibles, and said that his lungs sounded good as ever with air moving around as it is supposed to. Best news?  You know what it's going to be, don't you?

Go on your cruise, have a good time, just don't do any pirouettes!

A huge and heartfelt thanks to every one of you for your thoughts, prayers, and encouragement!

That is really good news.  I think the advice not to do any pirouettes is good advice for many of us.  🤣  Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I love hummus.  I hate chickpeas. to me it is a texture thing.  Slimy little buggers.  I used to laugh at my old room mate when she said she didn't like lobster or crab, because it was a texture thing.  Silly girl. I so get it.  I,  of course do not have a problem with the texture of crab or lobster (except for the outside...LOL)

When my father was in the final stages of life, his body told him or stopped him from swallowing food.

His doc recommended that we insert a feeding tube, and chances were 50/50 that either he would start eating again, or be fed the rest of his life with the tube.  4 weeks later, he developed severe edema,  and on my last visit to see him, he was bleeding from nose, mouth, tube.   I have no idea how or when that happened, as I had talked to him two days prior.  But two days after I got there he died.

After he passed, with my father lying in front of me, the nurse grabbed my arm, and told me what an idiot I was for trying to keep my father alive.  The doctor shouldn't  have made that decision, and I should not have gone along with it.  All you did, she said, was make your father suffer. 

So, its not just doctors who lay guilt on those making the decisions.  I will always remember that day, and the evilness in her voice. (dad passed in 1998).  He, in my opinion was not old. Only 81.I think he may have stood a chance of eating again, but perhaps he needed more attention that he was getting at the nursing home he was in.

two minutes left-sea tac airport hotel, Holiday Inn express-they shuttled us to the ship, they shuttled us to restaurants in the area.  since Covid who knows.

hugs, and back to work.

Annie, I can't believe what that nurse told you after your father died.  She had no right to say those things, especially if she was not part of your conversations with the doctor.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Long day, just got home at 7:40pm. 

We had a potluck at work today, so last night I made Cowboy Caviar for my contribution. Left the house at 6am to go to the store for plates and forks (I had bought some football-themed things but got nervous that it wasn’t enough).

The potluck was nice. After work I picked up my DMiL and we had pedicures. Then went out to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. Dropped her off and now I’m home. 

I’ll have go back to read everything. Thank you for the HAL fleet report and all the daily information.  Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List. Thank you all for caring and sharing. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

hugs, and back to work.

@marshhawk I am so sorry about the nurse that spoke to you like that when your father was severely ill. Very unethical and shameful. End of life decisions are not easy and certainly not the decision of a nurse. I am a nurse and am quite embarrassed at times by a nurse and their behaviors. They are not educated alot in end of life treatments so she was putting her own opinion on the situation. Your opinion should have counted.

Doctors are usually trying to save a life with their decisions for treatments. Now I know not all doctors are great, trust me, but most want their patients to live.

Edited by Cruisercl
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1