Oosterdam Fwd Decks

Heidi13

The Oosterdam deck plans show outer deck spaces at the fwd end of decks 5, 6 and 7. The P&S alleyways appear to have doors directly to these areas on decks 5 & 6. On deck 7, the fwd interior spaces are greyed out, which I assume is for bridge officer cabins/offices.

Do pax have access to any of these fwd spaces on deck 5, 6 or 7.

I was on the Oosterdam in March this year in South America for 14 days and Two weeks ago on a Mediterranean cruise for 7 nights. On both cruises the deck was only available for passengers for one day on each cruise. In SA for glacier viewing and in Santorini for the sunrise. 

Enjoy your cruise 😄

• Like 2

Noordam has a similar setup - used only during “scenic viewing times” in Alaska - weather permitting. Word of caution - if you are one of those forward passenger sections - the open door can create quite the wind tunnel.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, elmac40 said:

I was on the Oosterdam in March this year in South America for 14 days and Two weeks ago on a Mediterranean cruise for 7 nights. On both cruises the deck was only available for passengers for one day on each cruise. In SA for glacier viewing and in Santorini for the sunrise. 

Enjoy your cruise 😄

Thanks, I just moved a booking to a 22-day S/America on Oosterdam. Back in my Princess days, I really enjoyed those fwd decks on Island/Coral.

BTW - another great result in Cyprus today, watched the match live over here.

• Like 1

I have never understood why HAL (on all their ships) only opens the bow area at certain times.  On many other lines, where there is a bow deck clear of most machinery (which can be dangerous to passengers) it is open all the time (unless weather/wind conditions create a safety issue).   Sometimes I get the feeling that HAL treats their passengers like they are in a nursing home!   The ships do have a nice bow deck area and it should be readily accessible.

When we cruise on Seabourn, the bow area is always accessible to the passengers (there is even a hot tub). 

Hank

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thanks, I just moved a booking to a 22-day S/America on Oosterdam. Back in my Princess days, I really enjoyed those fwd decks on Island/Coral.

BTW - another great result in Cyprus today, watched the match live over here.

Yes great result! Just need Norway and Georgia to do us a favour on Tuesday and draw!! Scottish fans have already started booking flights to Germany!✈️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elmac40 said:

Yes great result! Just need Norway and Georgia to do us a favour on Tuesday and draw!! Scottish fans have already started booking flights to Germany!✈️

Yes, a draw on Tuesday with a victory in the "friendly" would make for a great day. Unfortunately, we probably won't get the Scotland v England match over here.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I have never understood why HAL (on all their ships) only opens the bow area at certain times.  On many other lines, where there is a bow deck clear of most machinery (which can be dangerous to passengers) it is open all the time (unless weather/wind conditions create a safety issue).   Sometimes I get the feeling that HAL treats their passengers like they are in a nursing home!   The ships do have a nice bow deck area and it should be readily accessible.

When we cruise on Seabourn, the bow area is always accessible to the passengers (there is even a hot tub). 

Hank

Liability issues I would think.

11 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Liability issues I would think.

That begs the questions, why is it not a liability issue when they decide to open the bow and not an issue on other cruise lines (including lines owned by CCL?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Totally agree with you Hank. In addition to the bow/focstle, the ones I am thinking off at the fwd end of the pax decks don't even have any machinery, just great spaces for fwd views.

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If it was liability concerns it would never be open, or only open when within clearly stated parameters of ship's speed, wind speed, sea state, rain, etc.

But when the decks are open, there are always crew members by the door telling you to watch your step, watch your head, help people over the high thresholds. The doors are only open weather permitting. Last month (Alaska) there were people lined up on decks 4, 5, 6 waiting for the doors to open. The Captain continuously made announcements that he was unsure if / when the doors would be opened. Eventually when the wind speeds abated, he gave the all clear.

Leave it open and it becomes a free for all - all you need is for one person to trip, lose their balance, break a bone, get a concussion - and watch the lawyers get involved.

Also, which Princess ships allow passengers onto the bow - think Leonardo di Caprio in Titanic. As far as I know only the ships based on the Vista platform have this feature - plus as someone has mentioned Seabourn. Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Victoria (Vista ships) have this feature - but as far as I know, only open for scenic cruising

B5B0EB38-CB23-4104-9735-431C0A5B8065.jpeg

2 minutes ago, RD64 said:

But when the decks are open, there are always crew members by the door telling you to watch your step, watch your head, help people over the high thresholds. The doors are only open weather permitting. Last month (Alaska) there were people lined up on decks 4, 5, 6 waiting for the doors to open. The Captain continuously made announcements that he was unsure if / when the doors would be opened. Eventually when the wind speeds abated, he gave the all clear.

Leave it open and it becomes a free for all - all you need is for one person to trip, lose their balance, break a bone, get a concussion - and watch the lawyers get involved.

Also, which Princess ships allow passengers onto the bow - think Leonardo di Caprio in Titanic. As far as I know only the ships based on the Vista platform have this feature - plus as someone has mentioned Seabourn. Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth, and Queen Victoria (Vista ships) have this feature - but as far as I know, only open for scenic cruising

None of the Princess ships, at least from my days working for and cruising with them had pax on the bow, as this was a crew space on many ships.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

None of the Princess ships, at least from my days working for and cruising with them had pax on the bow, as this was a crew space on many ships.

Thank you - was referring to the Island / Coral Princess comment posted previously.

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Thank you - was referring to the Island / Coral Princess comment posted previously.

Sorry misunderstood.

On the Island/Coral, the bow area/focsle, which is probably Dk 8 is a crew only recreation area. I don't recall the fwd area of Deck 9 being open to pax, but on Deck 10 and 11, which are the 2 decks below the Bridge, the fwd areas are open to pax. Not continuously, but normally for arrivals, departure, scenic cruising, etc. The area is well protected by bulkheads, so in most conditions is safe to use.

29 minutes ago, RD64 said:

all you need is for one person to trip, lose their balance, break a bone, get a concussion - and watch the lawyers get involved.

B5B0EB38-CB23-4104-9735-431C0A5B8065.jpeg

Hmmmm, as posted in your pic, I can see how thia would be a hazard, LOL. Gravity's properties are immutable.  🤣

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hmmmm, as posted in your pic, I can see how thia would be a hazard, LOL. Gravity's properties are immutable.  🤣

I just thought the picture was of a New Zealand Fiordland Park sailing!  😉

• Haha 2