International friends in same cabin

Thoenix

Washed out with our travel agent today--she says if me (US permanent resident) and my wife (US citizen) want to have our friend (UK citizen living in UK) come with us and share a cabin, we have to book through the cruiseline itself and she can't do anything to help us.  We're trying to take a trip for my birthday just the three of us, but I can't find an option on the RC site to say that my friend (UK) isn't a resident of a state.  When I go to put my friend's name in, it requires me to claim that my friend is a resident of a state or province, but my friend lives in Yorkshire.  Has anyone run into this before?  We just want to meet up and go on a ship together for my birthday.  Any ideas?

Edited by Thoenix

6 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

Washed out with our travel agent today--she says if me (US permanent resident) and my wife (US citizen) want to have our friend (UK citizen living in UK) come with us and share a cabin, we have to book through the cruiseline itself and she can't do anything to help us.  We're trying to take a trip for my birthday just the three of us, but I can't find an option on the RC site to say that my friend (UK) isn't a resident of a state.  When I go to put my friend's name in, it requires me to claim that my friend is a resident of a state or province, but my friend lives in Yorkshire.  Has anyone run into this before?  We just want to meet up and go on a ship together for my birthday.  Any ideas?

Your TA is fine to book him into your room. 

Just have them use your address.  Don't even mention that he doesn't live with you.  Plenty of people living in the US that are citizens of another country.  

If your TA won't book that there are plenty of TA's who will.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Your TA is fine to book him into your room. 

Just have them use your address.  Don't even mention that he doesn't live with you.  Plenty of people living in the US that are citizens of another country.  

If your TA won't book that there are plenty of TA's who will.  

She said it was a legal issue and that legally she can't do it.  I mean I'm a citizen of another country but I have permanent residency here.  Is there any way that it could mess up my friend getting a visa or anything to come here if we lie about residency on the booking?  I do not want to cause legal issues because I know how difficult immigration BS can be.

4 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

She said it was a legal issue and that legally she can't do it.  I mean I'm a citizen of another country but I have permanent residency here.  Is there any way that it could mess up my friend getting a visa or anything to come here if we lie about residency on the booking?  I do not want to cause legal issues because I know how difficult immigration BS can be.

If he said he could do it, it can be done. Hes a TA living in canada and specializes in rcl. He said how to do it, use a different home address for your friend on the booking. Either book them or dont. 

He wouldnt tell you to do something that would cause legal issues. If you still feel worried consult a lawyer, not a cruise site about immigration issues. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

There can be problems with insurance, which you would all probably have to do independently. I haven’t had problems with booking the cruise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

It has nothing to to with legal issues.

TA's are not suppose to book guests from other countries but in this case since they are in your cabin it is not an issue.  I've even been able to book guests from other countries in yhrir own cabin  when they are travelling with friends.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If he said he could do it, it can be done. Hes a TA living in canada and specializes in rcl. He said how to do it, use a different home address for your friend on the booking. Either book them or dont. 

He wouldnt tell you to do something that would cause legal issues. If you still feel worried consult a lawyer, not a cruise site about immigration issues. 

I didn't know he was a travel agent. It's my first time with a cruise or any kind of packaged vacation or using a travel agent, so I don't know enough to know what to ask of who.

This is quite heartening to hear that it's not impossible.  Now I guess I need to look around for other travel agents.  Not even sure where to start because I followed the recs on how to find one but I know we can't talk about that here.

Edited by Thoenix

Lots of UK cruisers have used a US TA for a lower price. Try researching some of the UK boards on Cruise Critic and see if you find any clues or advice. 

Just note that a US TA wont afford the same protection as your friend would have booking through a UK TA or royal in UK.

I presume they would book air fare themselves independently and separate to the cruise? Those are the dates they will use for their ESTA and their address. 

Edited by c-leg5

42 minutes ago, Thoenix said:

I didn't know he was a travel agent. It's my first time with a cruise or any kind of packaged vacation or using a travel agent, so I don't know enough to know what to ask of who.

This is quite heartening to hear that it's not impossible.  Now I guess I need to look around for other travel agents.  Not even sure where to start because I followed the recs on how to find one but I know we can't talk about that here.

CruiseCritic rules will not prevent you from googling the screen name.

• Like 2

Hasn't the booking terms changed recently with Royal in that irrespective of which jurisdiction you book your main country of residence dictates your terms and conditions. I think you confirm this when you check in. 

I recall receiving an email from Royal but perhaps this is just a UK thing.

10 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Hasn't the booking terms changed recently with Royal in that irrespective of which jurisdiction you book your main country of residence dictates your terms and conditions. I think you confirm this when you check in. 

I recall receiving an email from Royal but perhaps this is just a UK thing.

I booked with a US TA post receiving that email and I've been able to re-price the booking as well

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

That might be the most common sense statement I've read on here in awhile !

Cheers

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thoenix said:

Each country has a different cruise contract that is aplicable to that country laws .

On 9/9/2023 at 1:38 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

It has nothing to to with legal issues.

TA's are not suppose to book guests from other countries but in this case since they are in your cabin it is not an issue.  I've even been able to book guests from other countries in yhrir own cabin  when they are travelling with friends.

I think every single cruise I have been on with RCI has been booked through a US travel agent. Im in Europe

• Like 1