Bar Restrictions in Canadian Ports

gmbhardy

8 hours ago, durberville said:

Had no idea this was a thing. So the rational is simply to encourage passengers to buy their alcohol in Canadian ports? Seriously?? Do other countries do this?? Seems so odd. 🫤

I really don't believe it is to encourage people to drink in port.

I can't imagine - "Gee -I really would like to drink at bar X on deck 5 of the ship. Darn it - now I have to drink at bar Y on deck 5 instead  - iI think it is just easier to go down 5 decks and probably pass bar Y and 3 more bars to disembark and get a drink!"

I think people are really making it out to be more than it is. You still have a bar operating on ever deck that has a bar, It's not like all the bars are open all the time on ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last year a hurricane diverted us from our planned Bermuda port to a Canada-intensive cruise.  A very long day in Saint John, with not much to see or do in that place, was compounded by the fact the ship left late into the evening and our favorite bars were all closed.  Yippee!!

I'm looking to book a Canada / New England cruise next year. I did 2 in the past and there was no bar restrictions. But as long as there is a few bars opened I will survive. But if ALL bars were closed 😱 I would cancel for sure. Having drinks is part of the fun on a cruise for me.  

I was having trouble with my phone so was not able to respond to some of these  misinformed comments. We are in Quebec City today where we will spend an overnight. Per the regulations some specialty bars like the Brew House will be closed for two days. Is that a big deal - yes it is. I purchased the P+ beverage package so I could drink beers that are only available there. Waited over half an hour for our champagne in Savor because they had to go the Atrium bar to get it. We enjoy going to Cellars for a glass of wine or champagne before dinner - they are closed too. I could go on and on but please don’t say I’m overreacting because I can get a well drink after I stand in line for an hour.

• Like 1

This seems like a very silly way of accomplishing the goal of collecting tax on drinks. Instead it just makes the bartenders at the few bars that are open work twice as hard. I agree with @rodndonna that finding fewer bars open wouldn't result in someone thinking it's more convenient to leave the boat to look for a drink in port. 

If the goal is to reduce the amount people drink without paying tax, why not limit the number of drinks served per person. 

Edited by sanger727

Somewhere here in CC I found an old thread that stated the rule comes about in that if there is more than 1 bar per deck, they are viewed as selling alcohol in Canada and would thus be required to account for and pay taxes on the alcohol sales while in port, which would be a huge hassle and expense. 

Canada does love "sin" taxes and our alcohol is quite heavily taxed. 😑

57 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

If the goal is to reduce the amount people drink without paying tax, why not limit the number of drinks served per person. 

It is not only the sales tax that is involved.  They are limiting the amount of "out of bond" liquor, that is being used in Canada.  The Canadian excise tax, that is included in the price when a bar or person buys a bottle of spirits, amounts to between 20-30% on the wholesale price.  Ohio, for example, your state, has an excise tax of $9.32/gallon on spirits, on top of any sales tax.

As I said, they could just as easily follow the Texas model, and only allow liquor to be used that has paid the Canadian excise tax, which would increase the cost of drinks for the passengers, and limit the selection, as the ship is not going to pay tax on the entire stock onboard.

Edited by chengkp75