Bar Restrictions in Canadian Ports

gmbhardy

A fine example of Government stupidity.  Why?  Does some bureaucrat who has never set foot on a ship in his/her life think that this will change human behavior for the better?  "Oh darn, I would have to walk 100 feet now to get my free drink. I guess I'll drink less and/or leave the ship and spend money (i.e. pay taxes)."  

If I have to walk further for my free drink, then I'm getting two to make it worth the "effort." 🤣

• Like 3

I understand the rationale for restrictions in port (I don’t agree with them but I understand them) but the 12 mile policy baffles me - why, what possibly could the government gain. In Halifax we pulled away at 6pm and didn’t get clearance to open the bars until 8:30. It was chaos on decks 6 and 8. The atrium bar and A+ bars had 8 bartenders workiing but getting drinks in the dining rooms was a nightmare. 

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

A fine example of Government stupidity.  Why?  Does some bureaucrat who has never set foot on a ship in his/her life think that this will change human behavior for the better?  "Oh darn, I would have to walk 100 feet now to get my free drink. I guess I'll drink less and/or leave the ship and spend money (i.e. pay taxes)."  

If I have to walk further for my free drink, then I'm getting two to make it worth the "effort." 🤣

It is a different approach to the same issue that Texas addresses; the selling of "out of bond" (meaning that no state/province liquor tax has been paid, nor any import duty).  Texas addresses this by requiring that only liquor with Texas state tax stamps can be sold.  Canada limits the number of bars on a cruise ship able to be open in port to 1 per 1000 passengers, or 1 per deck of hospitality service (non-cabin decks), whichever is greater.   This approach apparently looks to force the passenger to go ashore for drinks, and buy Canadian liquor.

• Thanks 1

This actually seems to be a more "Canadian" approach.  They could say that only Canadian taxed liquor could be sold, whereupon the cruise lines would do what they do in Texas, buy a limited selection and quantity of taxed liquor, and only serve that.  But, that would require CBSA to go to every bar on the ship, check every bottle of spirits/wine on the bar and every bottle/can of beer in the fridges to have a Canadian tax stamp.  So, instead, they just check to see that all bars outside of the allowed number are actually closed.  Much more friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

We are mostly beer and wine drinkers…so we think ahead when going to Canadian ports and get a couple beers and glasses of wine and put them our cabin fridge.  

When there is still a bar open on ever deck (that has bars) isn't it still easier to just to go the closest bar than back to your room whenever you want a drink? Not sure how stocking the room helps, unless you plan to stay in your room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

When there is still a bar open on ever deck (that has bars) isn't it still easier to just to go the closest bar than back to your room whenever you want a drink? Not sure how stocking the room helps, unless you plan to stay in your room.

We don’t stay in the cabin, we have one drink before dinner in the cabin then swing by after dinner, grab our drink then head off for entertainment. By the time we’re finished with that one the bars are typically open (except Victoria).  Probably more work for many, but I am a planner what can I say.

Edited by laudergayle

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

This actually seems to be a more "Canadian" approach.  They could say that only Canadian taxed liquor could be sold, whereupon the cruise lines would do what they do in Texas, buy a limited selection and quantity of taxed liquor, and only serve that.  But, that would require CBSA to go to every bar on the ship, check every bottle of spirits/wine on the bar and every bottle/can of beer in the fridges to have a Canadian tax stamp.  So, instead, they just check to see that all bars outside of the allowed number are actually closed.  Much more friendly.

18 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

This could very well be the case - last month in Vancouver, as far as Inknow all bars were open - but I imagine that is because they restock in Vancouver, paying all provincial taxes.

9 minutes ago, RD64 said:

This could very well be the case - last month in Vancouver, as far as Inknow all bars were open - but I imagine that is because they restock in Vancouver, paying all provincial taxes.

I highly doubt that they pay taxes on this.  When cruise ships replenish stores, things like liquor are bought "out of bond", as the ship is considered "foreign territory", they don't pay import duty when they bring anything in from outside of Canada (or wherever they are replenishing).  Things shipped to the ship are considered to be "in transit" from the foreign country (let's say the US for liquor) to the foreign country (the ship), and so it never technically "enters" Canada. This goes for foodstuffs as well.  So, the only thing they would pay taxes on are things that are purchased within Canada.  This is one huge advantage of flying a flag of convenience.  The area of the dock in Vancouver where the trucks show up for unloading to the ship is a "bonded warehouse", meaning it can handle items that have not had duty or taxes paid on them.

Edited by chengkp75

13 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

We don’t stay in the cabin, we have one drink before dinner in the cabin then swing by after dinner, grab our drink then head off for entertainment. By the time we’re finished with that one the bars are typically open (except Victoria).  Probably more work for many, but I am a planner what can I say.

I can see what you're saying if ALL the bars are closed. But the rule (strange i know) is there can only be 1 bar on each deck open, so I I guess I was thinking (depending on where your room is) it may be just as easy to find an open bar on the way to the entertainment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RD64 said:

we've only done 2 cruises with Canadian ports - Alaska (from Vancouver) and didn't notice anything or know it was a thing on that cruise. We did a Canada/NE with a few Canadian ports, but we still didn't really notice the closures -  it was a small ship (HAL) and they keep the bar per deck open which is most popular for those hours in port (and generally where we would have been anyway). If it weren't for the signs .. I would never have known about the strange law even though we are Canadian! Hubby thinks perhaps the rule comes limiting bars on ferries.. but who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

we've only done 2 cruises with Canadian ports - Alaska (from Vancouver) and didn't notice anything or know it was a thing on that cruise. We did a Canada/NE with a few Canadian ports, but we still didn't really notice the closures -  it was a small ship (HAL) and they keep the bar per deck open which is most popular for those hours in port (and generally where we would have been anyway). If it weren't for the signs .. I would never have known about the strange law even though we are Canadian! Hubby thinks perhaps the rule comes limiting bars on ferries.. but who knows.

Agreed! As a Canadian never heard of this. Also, having cruised from Vancouver to Alaska, and numerous times Canada / New England - I have never seen this prior to today.

1 hour ago, durberville said:

Had no idea this was a thing. So the rational is simply to encourage passengers to buy their alcohol in Canadian ports? Seriously?? Do other countries do this?? Seems so odd. 🫤

no,the rationale is to pay tax. The CL chooses to close.

To your 2nd question Yes, many. i.e. Even in the USA some States impose taxes so bars on board close or all purchases are subject to additional taxes ( don't buy a drinks package until away from that jurisdiction of the whole thing is taxable). Some countries there is a tax until out of their jurisdiction and that could be huge, i.e. leave the entire zone not just the country.

There were some major threads on NCL board over closed bars in UK; some suspected administrative failures but yes, taxes and closures are definitely a thing. 

Just off a 21 day (Adriatic/Mediterranean) cruise and while no liquor issues ( due to cruise line package to all before sailing) the on board shop was closed almost every day.

@chengkp75 explains it well above

Edited by YoHoHo
  • Thanks 1