Sky Princess cruises from Florida

delliemd

I would like to hear recent experiences on Sky Princess cruise ship. Princess is my favorite overall & I have been on 25 + on several lines. Just recently the Reflection, not a good experience at all. I really dislike having music blaring all day everywhere & music the young DJ loves. Thanks

We agree with the OP's comment about loud music blaring everywhere on a ship?  Celebrity (a line we now avoid because we think it offers an awful "value") is just one of many.  You will often encounter the blaring music on other lines and than we have Princess with their blasting MUTS that drives us away from the pool area.  Noise pollution is not a good thing, and when it is too loud it can actually be harmful to one's health.  

So that gets us to the Sky Princess or any of the other Royal Class ships (they are all basically alike).  Many years ago, when Princess launched the Grand Princess, the line embraced "MUTS" which originally meant "Movies Under the Stars."  That eventually morphed into Movies under the sun, starts, clouds, rain, etc.  It never stops.  Fortunately (for us) there are some places on deck where folks can escape most of the pounding sound, and those areas are actually quite popular.  And then Princess went one step further and offered the "Sanctuary" (which can cost about $40 per person/day) where folks are offered the opportunity to pay money to escape noise pollution.  There is something backwards about paying for a quiet space (and folks do quickly snatch up all the reservations in the Sanctuary).

So, I would warn the OP that there are places on the Sky Princess where there will be music or movies blasting all day and night!  However, there are places where you can escape.  And most of the time there are activities happening in the main atrium which preclude piping in loud music.  In that large indoor area you are more likely to hear live music...although there will be times (such as if they have a large dance or exercise class) when music will blast through that space.

Hank

• Like 1

The people who found the Sky Princess to be disappointing will not likely be lurking on the Princess board. I found Sky Princess to be a very ordinary experience, not good value, and agree with Hlitner.

Especially, I found the muster drill to be a complete shambles. In spite of having plenty of time to figure out what to do, every person lined up ahead of me at the muster station was at the wrong station- many did not even know their cabin number!

Edited by Dancer Bob

1 hour ago, Dancer Bob said:

Especially, I found the muster drill to be a complete shambles. In spite of having plenty of time to figure out what to do, every person lined up ahead of me at the muster station was at the wrong station- many did not even know their cabin number!

I guess you can have people on any ship who don't pay attention to what they are supposed to be doing.....can't quite see how that is the fault of the ship or the cruise line.....

Just off 2 wonderful weeks on the Sky. Like all ships, it has it's pluses and minuses, but we look forward to being back on her again in February! No one at our muster station except us when we went there....

Our favorite place was on the Aft pool deck. This cruise had LOTS of kids though, so I imagine some people wouldn't like that as I will say, they were often pretty noisy. 😄

2 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

The people who found the Sky Princess to be disappointing will not likely be lurking on the Princess board. I found Sky Princess to be a very ordinary experience, not good value, and agree with Hlitner.

Muster is now done on your tv or phone, and then you just walk by your station at your leisure and they check you off of a list.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

You must have cruised quite a while ago since they have a new muster procedure which eliminates most of the hassle. 

23 hours ago, delliemd said:

I would like to hear recent experiences on Sky Princess cruise ship. Princess is my favorite overall & I have been on 25 + on several lines. Just recently the Reflection, not a good experience at all. I really dislike having music blaring all day everywhere & music the young DJ loves. Thanks

The Retreat pool and the deck area above it are quieter outdoor spaces on Sky. No movies, bands or DJ.  Indoors, the area near the Crown Grill bar is away from the areas with the louder music and activities.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 6:34 AM, delliemd said:

I really dislike having music blaring all day everywhere & music the young DJ loves. Thanks

If you are an adult, there is a retreat area that is mostly away from the music.  One thing I love about the Princess ships that have them.

I'm pretty  disappointed the newest ships won't have this. 

Aside from MUTS, Princess in general isn't going to be consistently loud anywhere.  Personally I'm a fan of MUTS and enjoy having something to watch throughout the day when I hang out by the pool, but I can understand why some would consider it too much at times.  Still, across all 18 decks or whatever it is, overall the ship should be relatively quiet compared to some other cruise lines.

• Like 1

Interesting story (although sad for us!) somewhat involving the Sky...although this is in no way the fault of Princess or the Sky!  We were booked on the Sky for a transatlantic leaving from Fort Lauderdale early last year (March 2022).  We had *always* just flown to the port on the day of embarkation (at least for domestic sailings) since it was such a short 2 flight hop to FLL.  There was a CRAZY cold snap in the Southeast that day.  We got to our local airport in plenty of time for our 7:00am flight...only to discover that Delta had not checked their de-icing equipment!  It had been well known that this cold snap was "on the way" at least 2 days prior...but Delta employee(s) apparently didn't see the need to check their equipment.  Well...long story short, our 7:00am flight left at about 12:30pm, arriving in ATL with not enough time to make it to the ship!  That was our last time to fly on the day of embarking!

We're booked on the Sky for the transatlantic we missed that day...just coming back from Southampton.

8 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting story (although sad for us!) somewhat involving the Sky...although this is in no way the fault of Princess or the Sky!  We were booked on the Sky for a transatlantic leaving from Fort Lauderdale early last year (March 2022).  We had *always* just flown to the port on the day of embarkation (at least for domestic sailings) since it was such a short 2 flight hop to FLL.  There was a CRAZY cold snap in the Southeast that day.  We got to our local airport in plenty of time for our 7:00am flight...only to discover that Delta had not checked their de-icing equipment!  It had been well known that this cold snap was "on the way" at least 2 days prior...but Delta employee(s) apparently didn't see the need to check their equipment.  Well...long story short, our 7:00am flight left at about 12:30pm, arriving in ATL with not enough time to make it to the ship!  That was our last time to fly on the day of embarking!

We're booked on the Sky for the transatlantic we missed that day...just coming back from Southampton.

Ouch!!  We never fly day of cruise.  Even with an overnight stay,  always make sure there are flights to the port after the one we are one.  I do not have a cast iron stomach to have that big a worry of a same day to ship flight.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Well, relatively quiet compared to the main pool. 

Don’t give away secrets! We love sitting back there playing cards or something.  Only had one bad experience back in the masking days after start up where someone was wearing a rubber wolf mask vs a “real” mask, not wearing footwear but would continue to enter ship for restroom purposes.  They kept stopping him to correct him.   He was stomping his feet and just screaming like a 8 year old.  Pretty damn annoying…who wants to go in a rest room on a cruise ship in bare feet?  Yuck…

• Haha 1