Eating in the Haven 2023

BirdTravels

I recall reading on a thread some time ago that there was a Haven 'pool' menu that included things like a Chicken Caesar Wrap, Tempura Vegetables, and most importantly (for DH) Ice Cream Cookie sandwiches.    Sounds perfect for a warm weather sailing.

Does someone know if the Joy currently has this or another pool menu?

• Like 1

On 9/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, BirdTravels said:

OJ is fresh squeezed. The juice on the menu is offered by the restaurant and has nothing to do with the drinks package. Just as the Starbucks coffee is offered by the restaurant and has nothing to do with the drinks package. 

Got the fresh squeezed Orange yesterday thanks 😊

Although messed up this morning when called and ordered orange juice from our butler as didn’t specify fresh “squeezed” so will learn for the future lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I recall reading on a thread some time ago that there was a Haven 'pool' menu that included things like a Chicken Caesar Wrap, Tempura Vegetables, and most importantly (for DH) Ice Cream Cookie sandwiches.    Sounds perfect for a warm weather sailing. Does someone know if the Joy currently has this or another pool menu?

They had a menu on the Encore last week.... but I didn't see anyone ordering from it.

The poor sundeck attendants and waiters were available, all bundled up, but it was pretty cold outside and no one was really using the indoor sundeck. There were the silly people like The Bird who would go and sit in the outdoors hot tubs,,, then run very quickly back into the indoor sundeck to dry off. (Partly because the kids took over the indoor pool and hot tub daily) 

image.thumb.png.878eade5f902f1a2531f90b9dcf176e2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

They had a menu on the Encore last week.... but I didn't see anyone ordering from it.

The poor sundeck attendants and waiters were available, all bundled up, but it was pretty cold outside and no one was really using the indoor sundeck. There were the silly people like The Bird who would go and sit in the outdoors hot tubs,,, then run very quickly back into the indoor sundeck to dry off. (Partly because the kids took over the indoor pool and hot tub daily) 

Thank you for posting this! 

On our Bliss Alaska, we didn't ask if they had ice cream sandwiches on that sun deck either🤔

However, next month we will be enjoying 12 lovely days of Joy Haven to the Southern Caribbean.  While we will definitely do a little walking around in places like Curacao & Bonaire, we won't be doing much in the way of excursions as DH is still recovering from surgery.  It might be a good chance to try that pool deck menu 😎

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Thank you for posting this! 

On our Bliss Alaska, we didn't ask if they had ice cream sandwiches on that sun deck either🤔

However, next month we will be enjoying 12 lovely days of Joy Haven to the Southern Caribbean.  While we will definitely do a little walking around in places like Curacao & Bonaire, we won't be doing much in the way of excursions as DH is still recovering from surgery.  It might be a good chance to try that pool deck menu 😎

On Joy, in March in the Western Caribbean, we had the sundeck menu from 12 - 4 PM, along with drink servers ensuring we were well hydrated. Be prepared for a long wait as those folks have to run up and down two flights of stairs, contend with drunken hot tubbers, and wait at the very, very, (did I say very) hectic bar! We waited a good 45 minutes for drinks on more than one occasion. We didn't find it much quicker to just get our own as the bartenders are far too overworked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

On Joy, in March in the Western Caribbean, we had the sundeck menu from 12 - 4 PM, along with drink servers ensuring we were well hydrated. Be prepared for a long wait as those folks have to run up and down two flights of stairs, contend with drunken hot tubbers, and wait at the very, very, (did I say very) hectic bar! We waited a good 45 minutes for drinks on more than one occasion. We didn't find it much quicker to just get our own as the bartenders are far too overworked. 

Good to know!   We will make sure to carry a couple of drinks with us to start out😊

I'm hoping to get some quieter use of that sundeck while others are off ship on lengthy excursions.  We will be taking it a littler easier this trip while DH continues to gain strength in his new 'bionic' shoulder.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, BirdTravels said:

ENTREES

image.png.0624dfdcbc365cb833f76fad5ebd5ab3.png

CRAB CAKES *

Pommery Mustard Sauce, Homemade Coleslaw, Golden French Fries

With added lobster tail

image.png.8a42ea64da103ca4ef9cf8f5d50728f9.png

DOUBLE-CUT PORK CHOP*

Braised Red Cabbage, Pomme Puree, Pommery Mustard Sauce

image.png.04b43668b9dc927818f7f34a6bcf8ff6.png

Side Order of Lobster Tail

image.png.1f0c86a091b19686070bd7d609b749dd.png

ROASTED PRIME RIB AU JUS

Baked Potato, Seasonal Vegetables

image.png.1bc4a6d771f3ee7c17669a329cbaf62d.png

GRILLED NEW YORK STRIP STEAK

Duck Fat Potatoes, Watercress, Bearnaise Sauce

With side order of two Lobster Tails

image.png.0730254eb839030066d6d7700e83b225.png

PANCETTA WRAPPED LAMB RIBEYE *

Roasted Potatoes, Green Beans, Rosemary Jus

With added lobster tail

image.png.35b6f9d739359d7b1eddb68b6b0b1af7.png

Side Order of SWEET CREAMED CORN

OMG😱 How did you get all those wonderful meal picsDid you try everything⁉️

On 9/17/2023 at 12:44 AM, Sand and Seas said:

I recall reading on a thread some time ago that there was a Haven 'pool' menu that included things like a Chicken Caesar Wrap, Tempura Vegetables, and most importantly (for DH) Ice Cream Cookie sandwiches.    Sounds perfect for a warm weather sailing.

Does someone know if the Joy currently has this or another pool menu?

They had Haven Sundeck, Pool menu on the Getaway in January. The only issue was they were short on service people. After watching the person next to me wait 45 minutes for a burger I walked down to the buffet and was back in 10 minutes with my lunch Lol

• Like 1

This is sorely tempting me to make my first Haven bid. I’m holding off on the “it’s better if you don’t know what you don’t know” principle and the idea that “ once you go Haven, you won’t want to go back” principle……

great photos and great thread @BirdTravels thanks for the link over here!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

This is sorely tempting me to make my first Haven bid. I’m holding off on the “it’s better if you don’t know what you don’t know” principle and the idea that “ once you go Haven, you won’t want to go back” principle……

I bid for the first time on a Haven courtyard penthouse and won a suite back in 2019.  As a result I can’t cruise any other way…I have reservations for Haven in 5/2024 on the Joy which would be my second cruise in the Haven; and, I look forward to checking out the Haven Horizon Lounge.  What I loved the most was the Haven restaurant,  Back in 2019 I didn’t know how to take advantage all the benefits the Haven offered especially the dining conveniences. I will have two FAS specialty dinners but all my other meals will be in the Haven restaurant.  I plan to have lobster tails and filet mignon as often as possible 😎 🍷 

5 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I bid for the first time on a Haven courtyard penthouse and won a suite back in 2019.  As a result I can’t cruise any other way…I have reservations for Haven in 5/2024 on the Joy which would be my second cruise in the Haven; and, I look forward to checking out the Haven Horizon Lounge.  What I loved the most was the Haven restaurant,  Back in 2019 I didn’t know how to take advantage all the benefits the Haven offered especially the dining conveniences. I will have two FAS specialty dinners but all my other meals will be in the Haven restaurant.  I plan to have lobster tails and filet mignon as often as possible 😎 🍷 

Exactly what I’m afraid of @Ozzieru1e! I have so many travel wishes, I’d rather remain happy with moderate accommodations so I can go do more things and save my big expenses fir things that just can’t happen at moderate prices, like crossing the Antarctic Circle, Mountain Gorilla trekking, African safari, circumnavigating Svarlbad, etc (1st done and last partially done, rest in planning)

although if NCL dangles enticingly prized big chances …..

thanks for sharing your experience (and I do like a good filet mignon!). Same to everyone…

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

Exactly what I’m afraid of @Ozzieru1e! I have so many travel wishes, I’d rather remain happy with moderate accommodations so I can go do more things and save my big expenses fir things that just can’t happen at moderate prices, like crossing the Antarctic Circle, Mountain Gorilla trekking, African safari, circumnavigating Svarlbad, etc (1st done and last partially done, rest in planning)

thanks for sharing your experience (and I do like a good filet mignon!). Same to everyone…

A friend arrived in Cairo, Egypt yesterday for 10 days to include 4 day cruise (attached photo).   She said it’s a once in a lifetime trip!!!  Life is too short so she plans a major vacation once a year.  I would like to travel more but most friends I know are still working and I don’t like going solo.  NCL Haven from Manhattan have become so expensive but I’m paying the high cost to be comfortable.  I prefer quality to quantity.  I wish I was more flexible like you. Enjoy your many ventures…

IMG_3064.jpeg

8 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Just want to say the "once you go Haven, you will not go back" principle does not hold up for everyone.   In the last 18 months, we have sailed four times and twice was in a Haven category which we paid for outright.   Next up we are in a club balcony suite with Vibe passes and four specialty dining dinners and we are very happy to not be spending the over $6000 more for a Haven cabin.  We are not even going to bid for an upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I hear you.  When I set up our first cruise in the Haven, on Norwegian Joy, last year, the feedback I got from the Good Mrs. Benson was less ambitious.

"It doesn't have to be a suite, as long as it has a balcony," she said.  "What do we need a butler for?" she said.  "I don't need any special treatment," she said.

"Trust me, darling," I said.

What I didn't say was that wanted all those things.

Then, we went on the cruise.

Now, the Good Mrs. Benson won't sail anywhere else but in the Haven.  It took me the better part of an evening and a half-dozen YouTube videos to persuade her that our upcoming cruise with Regent Seven Seas will be just as, if not more, luxurious.  And I still had to book another Haven cruise on Joy for next year to make her happy.

And that's fine with me.

I understand ColdCruise's view.  And I'm envious that he got to Antarctica---that's a trip I always wanted to make.  (At least, I got my Bluenose credential with the Navy.)  But, I'm afraid my days of adventure are past.  I'm stuck with cruises of comfort and indulgence, now.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i concur with Vacation44.

ill be in a nice midship balcony for a 5 day sail in November.  I also did an 8 day solo sail in a balcony room with a Vibe pass and it was fine.   while we do miss the Haven when we arent in it, we are experienced enough with NCL to know how to make the most of dining and entertainment coupled with latitudes benefits to still have an enjoyable sail.  

id be lying if i said i didnt bid on those two balcony sails.   that said, it seems like the math works out such that a min bid is not that far off from just paying the full price and then guaranteeing your Haven stay AND you can pick your room.

12 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

6 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

The Haven is just like being on the check-in/waiting area, pool deck, observation lounge, and O'Sheehan's bar with the rest of the ship. 

A few pics starting on Post #227 (click on top link)

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Just re-reading this thread for fun tonight and had a thought....

I'm guessing the sundeck lunch/snack menu is being prepared in the Haven kitchen?

If so, perhaps I could enjoy those tempura vegetables and a chicken Caesar wrap while enjoying the air-conditioned dining room🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Just re-reading this thread for fun tonight and had a thought....

I'm guessing the sundeck lunch/snack menu is being prepared in the Haven kitchen?

If so, perhaps I could enjoy those tempura vegetables and a chicken Caesar wrap while enjoying the air-conditioned dining room🤔

Maybe!!!

Thinking about it, maybe an ice cream sandwich instead of the foo foo desserts. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

im guessing the sundeck lunch/snack menu is being prepared in the Haven kitchen?

Yes, just ask for that menu when you sit down and they hand you that menu.

Also depending on the maitre d, you might be able to get anything else from a different restaurant within the ship. However if they say no, don't stressed as since COVID they have been short staffed and this requires one of the staff to fetch it. But you can ask and wait. Only thing they won't get is sushi. It doesn't travelled well. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...