Moveover offer on Diamond Princess

akronmaid

I received an offer from Princess to move from my guaranteed balcony cabin to an inside cabin for a refund of 100% of the cruise fare in OBC. Any unused OBC will

Embarkation: September 20, 2023 / Tokyo (Yokohama)
Disembarkation: October 7, 2023 / Tokyo (Yokohama)
Stateroom / Cat: C331 / B2 Beds: Queen Bed
Deck Group: Middle
Ship Zone: Mid-Forward
IMPORTANT NOTICES
DIAMOND PRINCESS FREE CRUISE OFFER!!!! ACT FAST!
Princess is extending a special FREE cruise offer to guests booked on the Sep 20th Diamond Princess Sailing. Move to an interior cabin and
receive: - 100% of your cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit). any unspent amount will be sent home via check post cruise. - Guest
keep all current amenities, packages, and on board credit.

SHOULD I TAKE IT? Any downside besides being an interior cabin?

• Like 3

Nothing beats free.  Accept the offer before it's too late, even if means being in an inside.

TBH, there isn't much scenic cruising in Japan anyways.  Most of the time you will be in open waters as far as the I can see.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RCNigam said:

Wow, I would take it.  Go inside-cabin for this cruise and then get another cruise probably almost free?

I just replied yes. I didn't know if there was a "gotcha", like you had to fight to get the check after the cruise, or had to make new air reservations.

It sounded too good to be true, and you know what they say....

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Nothing beats free.  Accept the offer before it's too late, even if means being in an inside.

TBH, there isn't much scenic cruising in Japan anyways.  Most of the time you will be in open waters as far as the I can see.

I figure with free, I can afford to hang in the Sanctuary every day!

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, akronmaid said:

I received an offer from Princess to move from my guaranteed balcony cabin to an inside cabin for a refund of 100% of the cruise fare in OBC. Any unused OBC will

Embarkation: September 20, 2023 / Tokyo (Yokohama)
Disembarkation: October 7, 2023 / Tokyo (Yokohama)
Stateroom / Cat: C331 / B2 Beds: Queen Bed
Deck Group: Middle
Ship Zone: Mid-Forward
IMPORTANT NOTICES
Princess is extending a special FREE cruise offer to guests booked on the Sep 20th Diamond Princess Sailing. Move to an interior cabin and
receive: - 100% of your cruise fare back (as refundable onboard credit). any unspent amount will be sent home via check post cruise. - Guest
keep all current amenities, packages, and on board credit.

SHOULD I TAKE IT? Any downside besides being an interior cabin?

I’d take it.  Don’t wait, or someone else will grab it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’d take it.  Don’t wait, or someone else will grab it!

I hope I am not too late. Initially I replied to the email. Then I saw the other email address I was to use. I guess I will know withing 24 hours one way or the other.

Hmmmm... should I call my travel agent? This offer came directly from Princess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, akronmaid said:

I hope I am not too late. Initially I replied to the email. Then I saw the other email address I was to use. I guess I will know withing 24 hours one way or the other.

Princess will reply to you if they accepted your acceptance.  Sometimes the Cruise Personalizer will update before you receive the e-mail, so check there as well.  You should receive a reply in 48 hours, but usually sooner.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, akronmaid said:

I hope I am not too late. Initially I replied to the email. Then I saw the other email address I was to use. I guess I will know within 24 hours one way or the other.

First point - this was not a "move over" offer as title indicates.  A "move over" is when they offer you a full refund and a replacement cruise for free on another ship and/or another sail date.  Yours might be called a "move down" or "category reduction".

Anyway, keep an eye on Cruise Personalizer and also use the booking page to see what other Insides might be available.  The offer doesn't indicate the Inside Category being offered and no doubt the first ones to reply are going to get the cream of what's left.  That said, as soon as you see where yours is, you can see if any others are still available and contact them if you want to change.  You will either need TA to call, or re-emailing them at the one provided might work.  But, you would need to act fast as you don't know how many guests are getting this offer.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

First point - this was not a "move over" offer as title indicates.  A "move over" is when they offer you a full refund and a replacement cruise for free on another ship and/or another sail date.  Yours might be called a "move down" or "category reduction".

Anyway, keep an eye on Cruise Personalizer and also use the booking page to see what other Insides might be available.  The offer doesn't indicate the Inside Category being offered and no doubt the first ones to reply are going to get the cream of what's left.  That said, as soon as you see where yours is, you can see if any others are still available and contact them if you want to change.  You will either need TA to call, or re-emailing them at the one provided might work.  But, you would need to act fast as you don't know how many guests are getting this offer.

Princess is the one that called it that. I never even knew of such a thing. I figured they were moving me over to another cabin.

Thank you for your good advice! I thought I might just let my TA know since he wasn't copied on the offer, although he was referenced.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, akronmaid said:

Princess is the one that called it that. I never even knew of such a thing. I figured they were moving me over to another cabin.

Thank you for your good advice! I thought I might just let my TA know since he wasn't copied on the offer, although he was referenced.

They called it a “move over” for mine too. From a deluxe balcony to an obstructed balcony 32 nights cruise.  Full refund. 

Good luck to you.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, akronmaid said:

I would reply to the email they told you to use to accept the offer.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

They called it a “move over” for mine too. From a deluxe balcony to an obstructed balcony 32 nights cruise.  Full refund. 

Good luck to you.

I suppose they have boiler plate email text.  Maybe they do not have another internal term and would never term anything negative.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I suppose they have boiler plate email text.  Maybe they do not have another internal term and would never term anything negative.

It is still considered a Move Over offer even though it is same ship, same date.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Internally they have always called any change like this a move over be it a downgrade or outright enticement to move to another cruise. Been like that for years so no need to nit pick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, akronmaid said:

I accepted their offer! We are just wrassling out how much I paid for the fare.

Hope it works out for you. The free part is the fare only, you will still pay the port fees / taxes as well as the land and air. By the way whatever you don’t spend onboard will come back to you in the form of a check a few weeks after the cruise. It can easily be mistaken for junk mail so be careful about discarding mail without opening it. I think they are still using Bottomline Technology to process the refunds but not 100% certain if that is the case. 

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, akronmaid said:

I just replied yes. I didn't know if there was a "gotcha", like you had to fight to get the check after the cruise, or had to make new air reservations.

It sounded too good to be true, and you know what they say....

Given the difficulty I've read about from many people trying to get legitimate refunds from Princess after a cruise, I wouldn't be assuming you'd necessarily get your money back.

• Like 1

We did this back in 2018.  We went from a balcony to an inside on a 20 day WC segment from Southhampton to NY.  For the $$ I got back I would have slept on a deck chair!  😂.  The amount of the fare (not the port fees or taxes) was given as OBC.  The amount we didn’t spend by cruise end (which was considerable) was returned by check in about 6 weeks after the cruise. Total win win in my opinion.  Being in an inside didn’t bother us at all.  Spent more time on the upper decks.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

We did this back in 2018.  We went from a balcony to an inside on a 20 day WC segment from Southhampton to NY.  For the $$ I got back I would have slept on a deck chair!  😂.  The amount of the fare (not the port fees or taxes) was given as OBC.  The amount we didn’t spend by cruise end (which was considerable) was returned by check in about 6 weeks after the cruise. Total win win in my opinion.  Being in an inside didn’t bother us at all.  Spent more time on the upper decks.

We normally book Inside, so for us to get a similar "move down", we would have to sleep on a deck chair.  Would hope it at least be in the Sanctuary.  Ha, ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3