Can you bring a glass of wine into specialty restaurants and mdr

tewkewl74

Can you bring a glass of wine into specialty restaurants and mdr from your state room?

A friend wants to use the wine flasks and try his luck at sneaking some wine aboard the shhip as the quality of the wine on the ship is extremely poor for the outrageous cost.  250-400% upcharge!

This way he can bring some quality wine with him instead of the sour grape 32 dollar house merlot.

10 minutes ago, tewkewl74 said:

Can you bring a glass of wine into specialty restaurants and mdr from your state room?

A friend wants to use the wine flasks and try his luck at sneaking some wine aboard the shhip as the quality of the wine on the ship is extremely poor for the outrageous cost.  250-400% upcharge!

This way he can bring some quality wine with him instead of the sour grape 32 dollar house merlot.

Do you also bring wine to restaurants at home?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tewkewl74 said:

Ahh…the “asking fir a friend “ approach 🤣

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tewkewl74 said:

but remember... a cruise ship is not  home... It's more like brining a glass of wine from your room to a resort restaurant.

MSC does not allow guests to bring any drinks, Alkohol or not, on board. And the business model of the restaurants on ships ist still to sell drinks….

1 hour ago, tewkewl74 said:

no... but i'd have to ask my friend if he did it.  I recall he did do it on carnival once and they didn't have problems.

Just have your friend remember to get a wine glass from one of the bars to use.  The red Dixie cup wouldn't work on MSC. 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I was able to bring drinks into the MDR on my Meraviglia sailings in April. Since there is no real bar service inside the MDRs, they didn't seem to have a problem with this. I would often stop by the Champagne Bar for a French 77 "to go" on my way to dinner.

Thank you!  any info on specialty dining?

23 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Just have your friend remember to get a wine glass from one of the bars to use.  The red Dixie cup wouldn't work on MSC. 😁

The room stewards are always nice enough to supply wine glasses on any cruise... "some" people like to drink water out of wine glasses after all.

24 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Although the steward may think somethings up when he see shampoo bottles or rum runners in the ice bucket.... i wonder if my friend ever considered putting diet sprite in his rum runners.  better ask him. =P

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Até said:

I know people who were told they could not bring their Diamond bottle of sparkling wine into the specialty restaurant, which was actually their Diamond meal....

Wow.  Okay.  So even if he orders a bottle of 7 dollar wine they are charging 32 dollars for to his room, he won't be able to bring it to dinner in a glass or a bottle? That's shady. Can anyone corroborate?

Edited by tewkewl

It seems to depend on the mood of whatever restaurant manager you happen to get.  I've been able to bring drinks into specialty restaurants, but I usually have a drinks package and order another during the meal. 

2 hours ago, tewkewl said:

Wow.  Okay.  So even if he orders a bottle of 7 dollar wine they are charging 32 dollars for to his room, he won't be able to bring it to dinner in a glass or a bottle? That's shady. Can anyone corroborate?

Generally going to be OK in the MDR and as long as you don't only have the 'Easy' package it should be possible in the speciality restaurants, but regardless of package it will not be possible in the 'signature' restaurants.

If unsure which are which just mention the ship here and someone will be able to help...

23 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Generally going to be OK in the MDR and as long as you don't only have the 'Easy' package it should be possible in the speciality restaurants, but regardless of package it will not be possible in the 'signature' restaurants.

If unsure which are which just mention the ship here and someone will be able to help...

The ship is the meraviglia 

There might be some confusion above bringing up certain drinks packages not working in certain specialty restaurants, the question being addressing was bringing a bottle.   

I have seen it done in the MDR on numerous occasions, so as long as it's not obviously a bottle that's unavailable on the ship I doubt there would ever be an issue. 

It was on Meraviglia where I saw bringing in any outside drinks, be it glasses or a bottle, was banned at specialty restaurants.   And, as stated, it was inconsistently applied. 

The point is that where drink packages do not work they are also likely to stop any externally sourced drinks coming in as they are budgeted to sell their own wine/beer etc. with the meals.

Hence you will not be able to bring anything potentially purchased at a different location on the ship with you into a signature restaurant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The point is that where drink packages do not work they are also likely to stop any externally sourced drinks coming in as they are budgeted to sell their own wine/beer etc. with the meals.

Hence you will not be able to bring anything potentially purchased at a different location on the ship with you into a signature restaurant.

So can you bring in wine you bought on the ship? If so, how do they know?