Can you bring a glass of wine into specialty restaurants and mdr

tewkewl74

2 minutes ago, tewkewl said:

So can you bring in wine you bought on the ship? If so, how do they know?

As others have said, it is inconsistent, but in the signature restaurants the expectation should be that you cannot bring any drinks in with you.

On 9/14/2023 at 10:40 PM, Até said:

There might be some confusion above bringing up certain drinks packages not working in certain specialty restaurants, the question being addressing was bringing a bottle.   

I have seen it done in the MDR on numerous occasions, so as long as it's not obviously a bottle that's unavailable on the ship I doubt there would ever be an issue. 

It was on Meraviglia where I saw bringing in any outside drinks, be it glasses or a bottle, was banned at specialty restaurants.   And, as stated, it was inconsistently applied. 

I'd argue the toss about that last point. If I've just paid for a drink at the bar 2 minutes before going to the restaurant, I deem it extremely unreasonable not to be allowed to take it in. I don't get the angle here at all and I'd look forward to that discussion with the relevant manager.

I usually have a drink package (not your question, I know), so even though one cannot get drink package wine in the speciality restaurants, I typically order 2 double glasses of wine just outside of the restaurant and walk in with it.  Often, it's the same wine and even the same glasses.

57 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I usually have a drink package (not your question, I know), so even though one cannot get drink package wine in the speciality restaurants, I typically order 2 double glasses of wine just outside of the restaurant and walk in with it.  Often, it's the same wine and even the same glasses.

And you have not been stopped? Or you haven't run a foul of the management? I don't really care about hola tacos but if I can walk wine in at Ocean cay and butchers cut I'd be happy

7 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Wait, did I miss something?

I thought the person who is "tewkewl" to follow MSC's beverage policies is your friend.

Oh yes of course.  That is for my friend.  But I would ALSO be happy if I could do it too!

From my observed experience, I guess this was a friend but I didn't know them and they sat at our table at the Teppanyaki restaurant, the couple entered to be seated with glasses in hand. They were asked to stop outside to finish their drink before being seated at the table. 

YMMV for your friend. 

12 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i was reading the T and C for the drinks package and shocked to see you cannot bring drinks obtained on the ship, to anywhere else on the ship. are the specialty restaurants all owned by outside parties?

No, your ability to walk in carrying a glass will vary but you are least likely to be able to do this at the signature restaurants as no packages are permitted to be used there and they expect to make drink sales in the restaurant.

You can use your drink package in the speciality restaurants as long as it is not the basic 'Easy' package, and you may have more luck trying to walk in with drinks in hand.. However none of the drink packages can be used in the Signature restaurants hence their increased sensitivity.

46 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

You can use your drink package in the speciality restaurants as long as it is not the basic 'Easy' package, and you may have more luck trying to walk in with drinks in hand.. However none of the drink packages can be used in the Signature restaurants hence their increased sensitivity.

We will be doing our first MSC cruise on Divina in February and are sailing in the YC.   This means we will have the Premium Extra Beverage Package.  If I understand the above correctly, we can use it some of the restaurants but not in others.  This begs the question - what is the difference between a "Specialty" and a "Signature" restaurant? 

18 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We will be doing our first MSC cruise on Divina in February and are sailing in the YC.   This means we will have the Premium Extra Beverage Package.  If I understand the above correctly, we can use it some of the restaurants but not in others.  This begs the question - what is the difference between a "Specialty" and a "Signature" restaurant? 

I read in another thread that Signature restaurants are ‘branded’ venues, perhaps like a franchise of a chain.  I don’t remember the names, other than Venchi.  EM

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I read in another thread that Signature restaurants are ‘branded’ venues, perhaps like a franchise of a chain.  I don’t remember the names, other than Venchi.  EM

I believe Signature venues are essentially vendor-owned operations that lease space on board the ships.  In addition to Venchi 1878, it would include Lavazza Coffe shops, Jean Phillippe, and the Crepes & Gelato operations.  Technically, MSC list Hola! as a specialty restaurant, but they seem more relaxed bout honoring drink packages in some cases.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I believe Signature venues are essentially vendor-owned operations that lease space on board the ships.  In addition to Venchi 1878, it would include Lavazza Coffe shops, Jean Phillippe, and the Crepes & Gelato operations.  Technically, MSC list Hola! as a specialty restaurant, but they seem more relaxed bout honoring drink packages in some cases.

Thanks.  Guess I will do a little more research into this prior to our February cruise.  We are usually not big on Specialty restaurants but do sometimes give them a try. 

42 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We will be doing our first MSC cruise on Divina in February and are sailing in the YC.   This means we will have the Premium Extra Beverage Package.  If I understand the above correctly, we can use it some of the restaurants but not in others. 

On Divina it is not a problem as Butcher's Cut and Galaxy Sushi are not classed as signature restaurants.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

On Divina it is not a problem as Butcher's Cut and Galaxy Sushi are not classed as signature restaurants.

Thanks.  We will be eating in Galaxy Sushi at least once I am sure.  More often if they are open for lunch, especially on port days. 

10 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Thanks.  We will be eating in Galaxy Sushi at least once I am sure.  More often if they are open for lunch, especially on port days. 

I'm sure we will see you there... we also enjoy sushi.

We tried both of restaurants in June, and decided we would happily return to Galaxy again. Butcher's Cut was perfectly OK, but not really better than the YC restaurant, so unless there is something very specific on the menu that you want to try, it is not one we would go back to ...

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I'm sure we will see you there... we also enjoy sushi.

We tried both of restaurants in June, and decided we would happily return to Galaxy again. Butcher's Cut was perfectly OK, but not really better than the YC restaurant, so unless there is something very specific on the menu that you want to try, it is not one we would go back to ...

I hope we run into you as well.

Looking forward to trying their sushi, especially if it's open for lunch on port days.  It is way too early, as you know, to book restaurant reservation for our cruise I plan to do so as early as I can. 

I think the only cruise where we are not planning to eat sushi onboard at least once is our May cruise in Japan.  Very port intensive and I am sure the sushi ashore is going to be much better than what is served onboard at Sushi on Five. 

10 hours ago, JAGR said:

Where did you get this information. Can you link us the web page? I have never heard that and I have never heard a cruise ship doing this sort of thing. It kind of doesn't make sense to me due to things like economies of scale and the money they can make ripping people off at these restaurants.

13 hours ago, JAGR said:

I believe Signature venues are essentially vendor-owned operations that lease space on board the ships.  In addition to Venchi 1878, it would include Lavazza Coffe shops, Jean Phillippe, and the Crepes & Gelato operations. 

How many tries to bring a drink to those places? Getting some icecream and needing a drink, really?

5 hours ago, tewkewl said:

I have never heard that and I have never heard a cruise ship doing this sort of thing.

If not owned and operated by, they are probably licensing the brand.

On Celebrity for example, 'Le Petit Chef' & 'World Class Bar' are both licensed under contract.

11 hours ago, tewkewl said:

Where did you get this information. Can you link us the web page? I have never heard that and I have never heard a cruise ship doing this sort of thing. It kind of doesn't make sense to me due to things like economies of scale and the money they can make ripping people off at these restaurants.

I'm only trying to suggest the difference, which I believe comes from some sort of licensing arrangement.  At any rate, this is is from MSC, and is a guide to all-inclusive packages.  read toward the bottom of page four:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqppm27cWBAxUNjYkEHXYCBIsQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mscbook.com%2Fpages%2Fsdl%2Fimg%2F%2FALL-INCLUSIVE_GUIDE.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0q3M6vVs7BcmRm5TBKdgzK&opi=89978449

If you don't want to open it, it is: The following exclusions apply: tobacco, souvenir glasses, ice cream menu, retail items, minibar, room service, promotions and signature venues Venchi 1878 establishments or Jean-Philippe Maury venues, MSC Virtuosa Starship Club, regardless of beverage price. The Coffee Emporium and Raj Polo Tea Room onboard MSC World Europa signature venues are included in Easy Plus and Premium Extra packages. Must be of legal age to consume alcohol - see our terms of our guest alcohol policy.

11 hours ago, tewkewl said:

Another source (I use drink packages, and then read and research instead of drinking from rum runners or mouthwash bottles) would be a discussion in March on this topic: 

Pay special attention to the wise comments by no greater a source of information than @Beamafar herself:     image.png.192831db5bd6942a5106357949e18cab.png