Purchasing Wifi onboard

Carol28

26 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

How much is wifi on board? Pre-cruise it is $15 per day per device.  If I do purchase it on board, can I do it half way through my cruise for a prorated fee?

Minor clarification: One does not purchase WiFi. WiFi is free on the ship. One purchases access to the Internet. The onboard Intranet is free and is what is needed. The cost onboard is the same as pre-purchase but I don't think you can get a pro-rated package. I've been told one can get a "daily" connection but don't remember how much that is. I'm sure someone here will give you the full info. The $15 per day cost is cut in half if you are Elite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Minor clarification: One does not purchase WiFi. WiFi is free on the ship. One purchases access to the Internet. The onboard Intranet is free and is what is needed. The cost onboard is the same as pre-purchase but I don't think you can get a pro-rated package. I've been told one can get a "daily" connection but don't remember how much that is. I'm sure someone here will give you the full info. The $15 per day cost is cut in half if you are Elite.

what good is 'free wifi' on the ship if you don't purchase an inTERnet package?

43 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what good is 'free wifi' on the ship if you don't purchase an inTERnet package?

It is how one access the app.  The app allows use of the onboard messaging system / ordering food, drinks, etc. / crew chat / checking one's folio/ locating cruise companions / etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It is how one access the app.  The app allows use of the onboard messaging system / ordering food, drinks, etc. / crew chat / checking one's folio/ locating cruise companions / etc.

Hey...keep it down here.  Somebody in Santa Clarita may figure out that they can CHARGE for the wifi!!! 🤫  (On TOP of the internet...)

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Really? News to me. 

Oh, it's definitely included in the fare. It's like saying that food from IC or the buffet is "free". It's no extra cost onboard but it has been factored into the price you paid for the cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like the OP, I too would be interested to know if internet must be pre-purchased or can be bought onboard, the first day. I am almost certain that internet cannot be purchased on Princess daily or only part of a cruise, as some lines do offer a daily purchase. 

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

Just now, Thrak said:

Oh, it's definitely included in the fare. It's like saying that food from IC or the buffet is "free". It's no extra cost onboard but it has been factored into the price you paid for the cruise.

what about the $14.99 charge to access the ocean now app to order food and drinks on the app?  does that utilize wifi?

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

Like the OP, I too would be interested to know if internet must be pre-purchased or can be bought onboard, the first day. I am almost certain that internet cannot be purchased daily or only part of a cruise, as some lines do offer a daily purchase. 

I have purchased it on the first day in the past. I'm reasonably sure this is still possible, since a sale is a sale.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what about the $14.99 charge to access the ocean now app to order food and drinks on the app?  does that utilize wifi?

Of course it *uses* the wifi...but the $14.99 is to "cover" a service being provided... (but I agree with the gist of your point!)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Of course. The app requires the onboard WiFi for most functions. That is how it communicates with the ship systems. WiFi is not required for the Medallion to open your door as that is accomplished using other technologies. (BLE and NFC.)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Like the OP, I too would be interested to know if internet must be pre-purchased or can be bought onboard, the first day. I am almost certain that internet cannot be purchased on Princess daily or only part of a cruise, as some lines do offer a daily purchase. 

Yes, it can be bought on board at same cost as pre-cruise (when they increased the pricing, they got rid of the idea to charge more if wait until on the ship).

You can also purchase a single day for $20.

If a guest waits until part way through the voyage and then purchases for the balance of the voyage, my understanding is they are being charged at $15/day and not $20/day.  The $20 rate is for single day(s) purchased individually/randomly.

1 hour ago, Carol28 said:

How much is wifi on board? Pre-cruise it is $15 per day per device.  If I do purchase it on board, can I do it half way through my cruise for a prorated fee?

Read the above, please.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, it can be bought on board at same cost as pre-cruise (when they increased the pricing, they got rid of the idea to charge more if wait until on the ship).

If a guest waits until part way through the voyage and then purchases for the balance of the voyage, my understanding is they are being charged at $15/day and not $20/day.  The $20 rate is for single day(s) purchased individually/randomly.

Read the above, please.

This does not agree with everything I thought I knew from reading on this topic extensively -- my understanding is it is $15/day whether purchased in advance or on board, and whether you purchase for the whole week or a day at a time.  Your post is the first I am hearing about $20 if you purchase a single day.  Can you link somewhere on princess.com where it says that?  All I see is: "Choose from one-device or four-device packages starting from just $14.99 USD."  (I will consider this 15). https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

18 minutes ago, deltahog said:

This does not agree with everything I thought I knew from reading on this topic extensively -- my understanding is it is $15/day whether purchased in advance or on board, and whether you purchase for the whole week or a day at a time.  Your post is the first I am hearing about $20 if you purchase a single day.  Can you link somewhere on princess.com where it says that?  All I see is: "Choose from one-device or four-device packages starting from just $14.99 USD."  (I will consider this 15). https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

Princess does not fully document everything that they offer nor their processes/procedures.  What you refer to doesn't list the 4-device package and cost and yet you are not questioning that.

Medallion Net was always available for single days since it began at a cost of $20 (versus $10 if booked entire voyage).  When they increased the prices and made them the same pre-cruise and on-board, the single-day price was unchanged (per reports).  I gather you just have not seen the many posts from Medallion Net when it first launched as unlimited per day instead of by the minute.  Pricing for it pre-cruise and on-board was posted multiple times.  Also, posted have been the new rates since the increases (posted on Princess Forum here, not by PCL).  Princess has never been forthcoming about publishing all internet rates on their website.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess does not fully document everything that they offer nor their processes/procedures.  What you refer to doesn't list the 4-device package and cost and yet you are not questioning that.

Medallion Net was always available for single days since it began at a cost of $20 (versus $10 if booked entire voyage).  When they increased the prices and made them the same pre-cruise and on-board, the single-day price was unchanged (per reports).  I gather you just have not seen the many posts from Medallion Net when it first launched as unlimited per day instead of by the minute.  Pricing for it pre-cruise and on-board was posted multiple times.  Also, posted have been the new rates since the increases (posted on Princess Forum here, not by PCL).  Princess has never been forthcoming about publishing all internet rates on their website.

Thank you and I trust your knowledge.

Can you purchase individual days in advance?  I would like to have wifi on sea days but not port days, and I would like the $15 price.  Is this possible?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Can you purchase individual days in advance?  I would like to have wifi on sea days but not port days, and I would like the $15 price.  Is this possible?

No. You can’t select which days to purchase in advance. If your sea days are near the end of your cruise, you could wait and purchase then for the “remainder” of the cruise.

@Steelers36 great answer to your original question which tracks with my recent experience. I purchased wifi (or internet for those who really, really care) for one day and was charged $10 ($20, less plat discount). 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, deltahog said:

No, you just buy it on board.  Sea days are variable, so I imagine you are going to have to pay $20/day.  You can inquire with Internet Cafe Mgr, but I would expect to pay $20/day.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, Steelers36 said:

Read the above, please.

Interesting! There was one sailing (granted the only one where I have paid attention) on the Ruby during June 2023 where I waited until I got on board embarkation day to purchase Wi-Fi. It was significantly cheaper almost $75 off if I remember correctly. I wonder if the system was wonky that day and somehow calculated that it wasn't embarkation day but further into the voyage

• Like 1