Leave Ship in One Port and Rejoin the ship the next day in Another Port??

mikjr

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

yep, we were out drinking and didn't realize we weren't on ship time and missed the boat - Oh, MY 🦄

well, we did somehow make it to the next port, at our cost, and fully expect to be able to board the ship.

We called the ship / whoever, and explained our lapse of judgement.

Fine, what fine?

closed loop out of CA with the stop in Ensadena (sp) Mexico

That may be how you see the voyage, that is not how CBP sees it.  Try arguing with them sometime. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That may be how you see the voyage, that is not how CBP sees it.  Try arguing with them sometime. 

a difference in being pro-passenger and being pro-"CBP" - whatever that is

passengers miss getting back to the ship it happens and rejoin at the next port at their cost

46 minutes ago, voljeep said:

passengers miss getting back to the ship it happens and rejoin at the next port at their cost

Not in Hawaii or Alaska or any other US port. If they are allowed to record, and there are cases described in postings here on cruise critic in the past where they were not, the expense will include a hefty pvsa fine. Even if they do not let you board, you incurred a violation just by missing the ship.  So your expenses might be a flight home and a pvsa fine.

It is not a matter of being pro anything. It is the law and how it is enforced.

Edited by ldtr

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Not in Hawaii or Alaska or any other US port. If they are allowed to record, and there are cases described in postings here on cruise critic in the past where they were not, the expense will include a hefty pvsa fine.

One of the very few exceptions would be an Alaska cruise round trip from Vancouver. If you left and reboarded, you would have two one-way cruises - one starting in Vancouver and the other ending in Vancouver, so they would both be legal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

Not in Hawaii or Alaska or any other US port. If they are allowed to record, and there are cases described in postings here on cruise critic in the past where they were not, the expense will include a hefty pvsa fine.

In this specific case - it is missing getting back to the ship on time and rejoins the ship the next day at the next port IN THE SAME  US STATE.

1 minute ago, NavyVeteran said:

One of the very few exceptions would be an Alaska cruise round trip from Vancouver. If you left and reboarded, you would have two one-way cruises - one starting in Vancouver and the other ending in Vancouver, so they would both be legal.

Certainly. That is why I made the comment earlier that it depended where the voyage started and ended at and referenced US ports.

Same with an Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

In this specific case - it is missing getting back to the ship on time and rejoins the ship the next day at the next port IN THE SAME  US STATE.

Does not matter it is still a different port. The law does not say travel between states it says travel between US cities. Kona and Hilo are different cities and different ports.

If your interpretation was valid a foreign company could set up a ferry service between the hawaiian Islands, or between cities in Alaska, or for that matter between LA and sf. None of which are allowed. 

Edited by ldtr

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I'm certainly not "pro-CBP".  I am stating facts.  You may feel that your viewpoint is "pro-passenger", and it may be, but as my late mother used to say, "wishing doesn't make it so", CBP will abide by the law, not your hopeful interpretation of it.

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

The PVSA does not even mention states.  They are different ports.  Just like the passengers on NCL's POA can board with just a driver's license, that is the only ship where the OP's scenario would be legal, no matter how contrite you act as you try to reboard.

6 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Does not matter it is still a different port. The law does not say travel between states it says travel between US cities. Kona and Hilo are different cities and different ports.

If your interpretation was valid a foreign company could set up a ferry service between the hawaiian Islands, or between cities in Alaska, or for that matter between LA and sf. None of which are allowed. 

Objection - Sustained - Exception - noted ... now move on

I believe some of that was in 'The Verdict' with Paul Newman - certainly not directed at anyone other than myself in this thread😚

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, voljeep said:

where are the posters who have actually missed the boat and got on at the next port - Real Life?

It would be interesting to find out what happened in the past.  But I am only interested in people who have done this in the same situation as presented by the OP with no distant foreign port call:

• Board in one US port.
  • Depart in a different US port.
  • Reboard in a third US port.
  • Final disembarkation in the original US port (with a stop in a nearby foreign port).

For those people who did this, did the cruise line charge them for two PVSA violations (one for the first illegal segment and one for the second)?   If not, did they get hit with one or no fines and do they know why?

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

It would be interesting to find out what happened in the past.  But I am only interested in people who have done this in the same situation as presented by the OP with no distant foreign port call:

• Board in one US port.
  • Depart in a different US port.
  • Reboard in a third US port.
  • Final disembarkation in the original US port (with a stop in a nearby foreign port).

For those people who did this, did the cruise line charge them for two PVSA violations (one for the first illegal segment and one for the second)?   If not, did they get hit with one or no fines and do they know why?

You left out one other option. Were they allowed to reboard at all?

2 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

True, but @voljeep asked about "posters who have actually missed the boat and got on at the next port". 

He certainly did. Missing the ship in a foreign port and getting back on at the next foreign port won't be a problem. Senor Frog's and the like tend to be in foreign ports so I suspect people missing the sailing and getting back on at the next port were likely in the Caribbean or west coast Mexico or European sailings.

My momma told me that when you find yourself in a deep hole, quit digging...

20 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Missing the ship in a foreign port and getting back on at the next foreign port won't be a problem.

I agree, but that is a completely different situation than the one presented by the OP with PVSA violations.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

You'd be fine getting off and just not getting back on before the ship sails, but you would not be allowed back on the ship (remember, you "dinged" off the ship in the last port, so they know you weren't onboard for the sailing) at the next port.  You would also be levied the fine.

We were on an NCL cruise. Our friend who was cruising with us got off the ship in St. Thomas and returned back in time for sail away. NCL was calling us to ask why our friend had not boarded close to sail away. She had been back on the ship for an hour, thus the ship is not always dependable in keeping track of the passengers. Just saying!

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Missing the ship in a foreign port and getting back on at the next foreign port won't be a problem.

I don't know how often a ship will visit both St. Georges and Hamilton in Bermuda.  On an itinerary that visited both ports, a friend got off the ship in either St. Georges or Hamilton, and rode a bike to the other port -- where he was allowed to board the ship.  But these are both foreign ports.  

1 hour ago, Jersey42 said:

I agree, but that is a completely different situation than the one presented by the OP with PVSA violations.  

Yes but voljeep was insistent that this had happened before and was looking for situations where it had happened. I just wanted to point out that he probably wasn't mistaken but as you said, it was another situation.

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I don't know how often a ship will visit both St. Georges and Hamilton in Bermuda.  On an itinerary that visited both ports, a friend got off the ship in either St. Georges or Hamilton, and rode a bike to the other port -- where he was allowed to board the ship.  But these are both foreign ports.  

My father and I did something similar.  When The old Pacific Princess went from NYC to Bermuda for a three night stay, each night was in a different port: St. George’s, Hamilton and the Royal Navy Dockyards.  We left the morning in Hamilton to go play gold, and returned to the ship at the dockyards.  Back in 2000, I don’t remember how the ship kept track of passengers; I presumed they only counted us just before leaving the Dockyards for the return to NYC.  I’m pretty sure the daily brochure gave the times the ship was moving.

(Too bad the current ships are too big to dock at St. George’s and Hamilton.)

3 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

My father and I did something similar.  When The old Pacific Princess went from NYC to Bermuda for a three night stay, each night was in a different port: St. George’s, Hamilton and the Royal Navy Dockyards.  We left the morning in Hamilton to go play gold, and returned to the ship at the dockyards.  Back in 2000, I don’t remember how the ship kept track of passengers; I presumed they only counted us just before leaving the Dockyards for the return to NYC.  I’m pretty sure the daily brochure gave the times the ship was moving.

(Too bad the current ships are too big to dock at St. George’s and Hamilton.)

In that case in the past, the passengers did not spend a night off the ship.

5 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Yes but voljeep was insistent that this had happened before and was looking for situations where it had happened. I just wanted to point out that he probably wasn't mistaken but as you said, it was another situation.

Probably, our thoughts go to guests missing ship in Caribbean and then may look to island hop to catch ship as long as it was not final port before Port Everglades.  Is this what you meant, @voljeep?  We have all seen You Tube videos of folks in beach attire running for a ship.  IDK if any of them are members here or would admit their folly.

15 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Looking at this thread, we haven't seen any examples posted of someone who left the ship at a US port and returned at a different US port. All of the examples posted have been non-US ports, so no PVSA problems. We're still waiting to hear from anyone who had this issue at a US port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1