Paid upgrade offer - cruise credit question

asebastian

Hi all,

I've just had a paid upgrade offer to a Neptune (up from a balcony). Will I be eligible for double cruise credits if I accept? I know about all the other perks, just wondering. I've also noted on this forum that complimentary upgrades are not eligible for double credits, which is fair enough.

Thanks.

I believe that the answer is 'No'.  For double credits the suite must be purchased at a 'published price' so unless you are paying the difference between the price of your balcony cabin and the current published price for the Neptune, then you are out of luck.

No doubt someone will post that they received double credits, but I think you are out of luck.

• Like 3

IF you were in a Vista Suite (many call this a balcony cabin), you get the double credit in the first place.

IF you were in a Verandah cabin you do not get the double credit.

Of course, nothing with HAL is absolute, so you might get lucky!

• Like 1

From THE POINTS GUY website:

Ways to earn points

The Mariner Society point-earning system is relatively simple. In most cases, you will earn one "cruise day" credit for every night you're on a ship.

The only exception is for passengers staying in top accommodations. Customers staying in a suite or penthouse on a Holland America ship will get double cruise day credits. One caveat here is that you must have paid the normal fare for the suite or penthouse to get the double credits.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Ways to earn points

The Mariner Society point-earning system is relatively simple. In most cases, you will earn one "cruise day" credit for every night you're on a ship.

The only exception is for passengers staying in top accommodations. Customers staying in a suite or penthouse on a Holland America ship will get double cruise day credits. One caveat here is that you must have paid the normal fare for the suite or penthouse to get the double credits.

To further back up Dave’s post here is a direct quote from the Mariner website 

When you cruise with Holland America Line, you’re automatically enrolled in our Mariner Society®. As a member, you’ll earn Cruise Day credits for every day you cruise and for each purchase you make onboard. Earn bonus credits when you pay a published fare for a suite or penthouse and for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases.*

5 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Ways to earn points

There is a similar statement in some of the HAL rules.

Oops...@Mary229 beat me to it.

So we're booked in a Verandah cabin at the moment, and have turned down the offer to the Neptune upgrade. Boy, HAL are persistent and yesterday made another offer for a Signature Suite at half the rate which we have accepted. Likely we won't get double cruise credits, but the additional upgrade cost was quite low. This is for the Westerdam which doesn't have Vista cabins/suites.

We book Vistas or Verandahs at the minimum, based on the ship. Pre-covid have booked a few Signature Suites, but had 3 cruises canceled at that time! Lucky we received quite a lot of FCC with bonuses for those.

Thanks for all your responses.

• Like 2