Live from the Noordam 14 day Alaska cruise

tupper10

@tupper10...Thank You...BEST thing for motion illness is go out on deck fresh air and look at the horizon.....go to Crow's Nest and look at horizon.

FYI Jay & Dee from Parodeejay....You Tubers are on this sailing as well.

I am most interested in this itinerary....looked at it for 2025 Kodiak and the other ports are of interest. but we probably would opt for May ILO Sept sailing.

Looking foward to following along!

• Like 1

I wish everyone on the Noordam a safe passage the next few days. 

Another cruise line changed their routing to Alaska because of the weather forecast.

From Cruise Industry News: 

"After sailing from Seattle on September 14 the cruise will no longer visit any port in Alaska.

Instead, it will head straight to Japan, spending a total of ten days at sea before arriving in {Japan}.

'In partnership with our Fleet Operations Center, we are monitoring a low-pressure system in the greater Alaska region which is forecasted to create unusually high swells and strong winds that will impact the first part of our itinerary,' the company said in a statement given to guests onboard.

'To maintain a safe distance from the storm, we must sail south of the low-pressure system. Therefore, it will not be possible to visit Alaska,' [the company] added.

The original itinerary of the repositioning cruise included visits to Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point, in addition to scenic cruising at the Hubbard Glacier."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hogladyrider said:

@tupper10...Thank You...BEST thing for motion illness is go out on deck fresh air and look at the horizon.....go to Crow's Nest and look at horizon.

I am most interested in this itinerary....looked at it for 2025 Kodiak and the other ports are of interest. but we probably would opt for May ILO Sept sailing.

Thanks I went to deck 3 but it was quite cold out.  The rock and roll party is over until tonight.  Have to say crew is more than fabulous.  I am allergic to nuts so I can’t eat the desserts due to cross contamination. The lido chef just made me my own basket of sugar cookies -  hot out of the oven. 

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

Thanks I went to deck 3 but it was quite cold out.  The rock and roll party is over until tonight.  Have to say crew is more than fabulous.  I am allergic to nuts so I can’t eat the desserts due to cross contamination. The lido chef just made me my own basket of sugar cookies -  hot out of the oven. 

I’m glad that the motion of the ocean is over for now.  Green apples, crackers and mid ship /open deck (if you can) will help.  I know you have your drugs but DD DH really liked a potion in the gift shop - think it was called Motion Ease (?).  You put a drop behind your ears and it has no side effects.  Worked for DD DH quite well

Nice on the sugar cookies 🙂   Hope the seas smooth out for you and you have a great cruise 🤞 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

It sounds strangely similar to our May 7 Nieuw Amsterdam attempt to reach Homer, when we also experienced wild weather in that area.  The captain kept us well-informed then as well, and everything he said was true. Because of his constant updates the expeeience was interesting rather than frightening.

• Like 2

On our way to Kodiak with 16 foot swells.  It has been quite the ride. @kazu thank you for the recommendation but I am allergic to one of the ingredients.  The Dramamine worked thank heavens or last night and this morning would be no fun at all.  The captain said our roller coaster ride should end by about 10.  It is not as cold out as yesterday. We have intermittent sun and clouds.  We will probably hang out in our cabin and veranda until this stops since walking is an adventure and you must hold on to the railings to go anywhere.  Thank heavens for room service.  

Now if only I could remember how to post pictures from my phone!

• Like 8

On 9/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, tupper10 said:

I'm glad things are going well.  I, also, am allergic to tree nuts.  When I was on Noordam, the serving staff took good care of me.

• Like 1

Very good website to track wind, waves, weather. Looks like we will be skirting the bad stuff still making much of the Gulf of Alaska unwelcoming, as we move from Kodiak to Anchorage to Valdez over the next few days.  windy.com

• Like 1

@SwissMystplease post as much as you can about our voyage.  It is great to have info and experiences from other people.  Today many of us spent the morning in bed.  After lunch from room service I put on my jacket and hat and walked the promenade deck. It was quite nice out and helped me feel better.  I took some videos of the pool in the afternoon which was wave city. People who were there in the morning said it was much worse. No one could swim but people were in the hot tub.  Tonight after dinner we saw Hyperion Knight. I remembered that we had seen him on a Celebrity cruise years ago and had bought one of his CDs. He gave a wonderful performance.  Tomorrow we will make it to Kodiak per the captain though our arrival time is a bit up in the air. We were told to listen to the announcements in the morning.  We have a HAL excursion booked so we assume the time changes will be worked out.  If not we will walk around the town and go to the museum.  

• Like 6

20 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Now if only I could remember how to post pictures from my phone!

I have an iPhone.  Tap Add Files.  Tap Photo Library.  Tap pictures you want to include. Tap add.IMG_7927.thumb.jpeg.c3c8b3c3944391bae7504bdf3a7247a7.jpegUploaded images will appear below the text.  Tap insert. IMG_7928.jpeg.e7ecfafc6aa386073fbf7606d46c588f.jpegLooking forward to your photos!

• Like 1

I tried to insert a video but I think it is too large.  Pictures don’t really give you the sense of how much the ship is moving. We are barreling towards Kodiak. We will be an hour late but it should be sunny out instead of rain.  I set my aurora app since the ships to the south of us had quite the show last night.  There are multiple pictures on social media from the people on those cruises.  IMG_2218.thumb.jpeg.4e6abda6e01ea1c820ed8a6baaea9488.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1