QM2 Mixed Review: Some deferred maintenance, poor food, but a delight otherwise

gphb

Food is subjective and I was not on your cruise, again I stress that if you are not happy on board it is important to bring your grievances to the appropriate staff on board. One of the many reasons we cruise Cunard is they listen and are proactive, on our last cruise we had a few issues and If they were not brought to the attention of senior staff we could have had a cruise we did not enjoy, instead everything was sorted out in the usual professional Cunard way and of course we had  a great cruise.

The following comments are not directed to you but it is much easier to complain than be proactive without being rude and bring it to the attention of staff on board.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm not sure when it started but yes, it has been the pattern during this voyage to have two veggie main courses each evening. One has been marked with a symbol indicating "plant-based" and the other with the symbol for "vegetarian". Someone who understands such details will need to explain that distinction for me.

Plant based maybe be the new version of saying Vegan - - prohibiting food products served that have been sourced from an animal, including honey from made by bees. 
Vegetarian could still have dairy, eggs, and honey. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gphb said:

No.   My understanding was that Open Dining was introduced for 2023 and 2024 voyages that went on sale in May 2022 and then for all voyages on QM2 from 1 November 2022 onwards.  

I did wonder if this was why second seating was so empty, but I assumed that if the same number of people were still dining in QM2 from the same kitchens in the same general time frames that it would still be relatively full.  It appears fewer passengers are choosing to eat in Britannia than before or somehow they are turning tables more quickly.   

I also wondered if this trend continues if they can actually now go to a single seating for all fixed dining passengers?   This could be one silver lining to result as I recall dual-staged dining was one of the changes in moving from QE2's silver service in Columbia/Mauretania to QM2.   When my kids were younger on QM2 we would struggle to get to the 8pm sitting after dropping them off in the Kid's Zone which did not open until 8pm, so the 845pm last orders now feels awfully late, and I don't like it if that is a result of Open Dining.   I assumed it was more this particular ship's Master seems to favor noon clock changes instead of midnight, so more time was needed to break from lunch.

Eastbound or westbound crossing? My understanding was that eastbound crossings change clocks at noon, but westbounds at midnight. But perhaps this is not a strict rule, and up to the Master’s preference?

I was told the crossings are set by Cunard and not the master. I was told the eastbound crossings clock change was to help the crew not have to lose an hour’s sleep at night. How true this is I don’t know but would seem reasonable. Offering alternative dining venues will obviously attract people away from the main dinning room and given there is a charge for some venues,  Cunard will not be concerned. There are many reasons people chose not to eat in the MDR. I don’t think it’s right to assume it’s because the food is poor quality or less appealing. Less people in Britannia makes for a smoother service for those there.I would guess too that a table with fixed dining will only be used twice per evening but an open dining one at least 3 times distorting the impression of how many folk are eating in Britannia. I don’t think officers eating on masse in public restaurants is a thing now post COVID. I have never felt the atmosphere lacking . Yes I too have resorted to the always available options occasionally but that is because I am picky and fussy not because of poor offerings. 

Edited by Winifred 22
Hec
  • Like 1

Last night QM2 Britannia looked two thirds full at 9pm. I went in at 7:20 and the front desk had to look hard for a table and were looking down into deck 2 as well Different sailing and so different passengers.

It is fairly full for breakfast today, albeit deck 2 only. Greetings from the Carinthia Lounge.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gphb said:

No.   My understanding was that Open Dining was introduced for 2023 and 2024 voyages that went on sale in May 2022 and then for all voyages on QM2 from 1 November 2022 onwards.  

I did wonder if this was why second seating was so empty, but I assumed that if the same number of people were still dining in QM2 from the same kitchens in the same general time frames that it would still be relatively full.  It appears fewer passengers are choosing to eat in Britannia than before or somehow they are turning tables more quickly.   

I also wondered if this trend continues if they can actually now go to a single seating for all fixed dining passengers?   This could be one silver lining to result as I recall dual-staged dining was one of the changes in moving from QE2's silver service in Columbia/Mauretania to QM2.   When my kids were younger on QM2 we would struggle to get to the 8pm sitting after dropping them off in the Kid's Zone which did not open until 8pm, so the 845pm last orders now feels awfully late, and I don't like it if that is a result of Open Dining.   I assumed it was more this particular ship's Master seems to favor noon clock changes instead of midnight, so more time was needed to break from lunch.

@gphb

I also wondered if this trend continues if they can actually now go to a single seating for all fixed dining passengers?

I would imagine the logistics of everyone turning up at the same time, would be extremely challenging for all the staff.

14 hours ago, gphb said:

QE2 had two sittings in Mauritania in her later years, at least from 1999, I think.

23 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

@gphb

I also wondered if this trend continues if they can actually now go to a single seating for all fixed dining passengers?

I would imagine the logistics of everyone turning up at the same time, would be extremely challenging for all the staff.

This would also be not popular as when would you fix the time for ? I eat after 8 and would  not want to eat earlier and can appreciate those who want to eat around 6 would not be pleased to wait until after 8. I can’t see the numbers justifying it on the cruises I have been on. Britannia was not half full for my sitting or anywhere near it . 

22 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

This would also be not popular as when would you fix the time for ? I eat after 8 and would  not want to eat earlier and can appreciate those who want to eat around 6 would not be pleased to wait until after 8. I can’t see the numbers justifying it on the cruises I have been on. Britannia was not half full for my sitting or anywhere near it . 

Couldn’t it just work like the other dining rooms and people turn up when they wanted?

36 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Couldn’t it just work like the other dining rooms and people turn up when they wanted?

Yes I suppose it it was all open dining it would work.I would miss having a fixed table. As I always eat on my own I would hate to have to worry every night what the set up would be and if I would get a table for myself. I couldn’t justify Britannia Club or the Grills as a solo especially when Grills supplements are 200% as opposed to 175% for other grades. The solo cabins are so scarce and can be more expensive than paying the solo rate on a two person cabin anyway. 

20 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes I suppose it it was all open dining it would work.I would miss having a fixed table. As I always eat on my own I would hate to have to worry every night what the set up would be and if I would get a table for myself. I couldn’t justify Britannia Club or the Grills as a solo especially when Grills supplements are 200% as opposed to 175% for other grades. The solo cabins are so scarce and can be more expensive than paying the solo rate on a two person cabin anyway. 

If there is enough room for everyone to appear at the same time, there is enough room for everyone to have their own table.

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have seen them printed in the Daily Programme very occasionally, otherwise telepathy?

I only know the options I choose which is tomato soup or steak. I am sure others on here will be able to tell you. I don’t think they advertise it anymore but happy to be corrected . 

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

I only know the options I choose which is tomato soup or steak. I am sure others on here will be able to tell you. I don’t think they advertise it anymore but happy to be corrected . 

Now that I have thought about it, I am going to guess that it is just what appears on the room service menu.  Thanks for giving your examples.  They are both on the room service menu.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:57 AM, NE John said:

The Great Pancake and French Toast Debate of 2023! I love how CC topics make twists and turns…

The French* call it "pain perdu" (lost bread) - bread that's still good, but too old to serve as "fresh". So ideally it would be slightly stale French bread. My mom made it with Wonder Bread, of course. Which I think can't actually go stale.

*or at least hoity-toity French restaurants

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What puzzled me was the picture of the French Toast. It looked like the bread had been cut into a triangle, then covered with the egg, and then seared on each side. I’ve never seen it cooked or served in that way. The other wonder is if it had sat under a heating lamp for a long time because that would dry it out and make it even crispier. In any case do as the grandsons would do: add more butter, syrup, blueberries, whipped cream and powdered sugar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, techteach said:

What puzzled me was the picture of the French Toast. It looked like the bread had been cut into a triangle, then covered with the egg, and then seared on each side. I’ve never seen it cooked or served in that way. The other wonder is if it had sat under a heating lamp for a long time because that would dry it out and make it even crispier. In any case do as the grandsons would do: add more butter, syrup, blueberries, whipped cream and powdered sugar.

I always cut the bread diagonally for eggy bread and every day is an education as it's a savoury for us [we too occasionally like a cheesy topping]. Never thought of it as pancake substitute. Don't think I ever will.

• Like 2

I just got off of a Celebrity cruise two weeks ago. I can honestly say I will give long and hard thought to cruising with them again. I wrote a review so I won't go over it again but just to say it was the worst cruise food I have ever had. I have sailed X several times and was bitterly disappointed with this. Very limited choices, food arrived at the table a long time after it was ordered and was barely lukewarm when presented and tasted horrible. There were lots of other problems besides food. I have been cruising for many years and remember one of the main reason for cruising with the wonderful food and service. Unfortunately not any longer on Celebrity.

4 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

I just got off of a Celebrity cruise two weeks ago. I can honestly say I will give long and hard thought to cruising with them again. I wrote a review so I won't go over it again but just to say it was the worst cruise food I have ever had. I have sailed X several times and was bitterly disappointed with this. Very limited choices, food arrived at the table a long time after it was ordered and was barely lukewarm when presented and tasted horrible. There were lots of other problems besides food. I have been cruising for many years and remember one of the main reason for cruising with the wonderful food and service. Unfortunately not any longer on Celebrity.

There seems to be more unhappy cruisers via the Celebrity CC boards. One thread entitled something like “Is Celebrity the new Carnival?”. Lots of downgrades in Suite benefits too and many unhappy with Infinite glass veranda rooms. 
Princess pax seem also to be trending unhappy too with medallion tech problems and cutback complaints too. 
Complaints too about how sloppy pax dress on their “formal” nights. 

4 hours ago, NE John said:

There seems to be more unhappy cruisers via the Celebrity CC boards. One thread entitled something like “Is Celebrity the new Carnival?”. Lots of downgrades in Suite benefits too and many unhappy with Infinite glass veranda rooms. 
Princess pax seem also to be trending unhappy too with medallion tech problems and cutback complaints too. 
Complaints too about how sloppy pax dress on their “formal” nights. 

I have an in law on the other side going first time on Celebrity Apex and first time cruiser to the ship's of today and feel bad for the let down they will experience.

Seeing You Tubes and reviews not favorable. I remember a famous cruising magazine that overwhelmingly praises Celeb for their food. This was the days before Mega Ships.

Once again, so glad I am a Cunard Loyalist.    

• Like 2

My 2 cents

we have been on qm2 since 9/11 and remain on until 9/29

this is our second Cunard cruise. The first was a crossing on qe

we are luxury cruisers. Our go to lines are regent silversea and seabourn. That is our frame of reference 

we are in grills suite. 

we knew going in that this is not luxury cruising as we know it. Why are we on board?

ocean liner experience — very special

the ship is a magnificent art deco masterpiece 

sea days. We love them

duplicate bridge. I am an addict

entertainment. First leg had national symphony with Anthony inglis and Royal Shakespeare company. Doesn’t get better than that

not for the food. It is mediocre 

in qg we look at next night’s menu and place special orders with maitre’d. That works. I find the menus limited and unappealing 

Everyone should experience this ship once. There is nothing else like it

• Like 1