Regent “We do not provide this service.”

PaulaJK

22 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

This does not seem to be the perceived wisdom here in the UK:

UK Government Guidelines

Disability Rights UK

Just goes to show how the english language can be nuanced in different places and how individuals can feel slighted when there was no intention to offend.

Thank you, Flossie.  Point taken.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:24 AM, Pcardad said:

Excellent advice - you can stay on the bus even if all others get off. The driver will keep it running and it will be cool/warm as needed for you.

This is not necessarily true in all circumstances.  We took a tour in Costa Smerelda last July while cruising on Explorer. The bus had faulty air conditioning to begin with - but because of bus idling rules in effect due to the hot weather, the driver turned off the bus at each stop. There was no air conditioning for those passengers who took the tour expecting to stay on the bus in areas that required more extensive walking. The temperature outside was over 90F. In previous years, Regent tour buses usually had a box of bottled water or even a cooler with chilled water. There was NO water on the buses for the mostly elderly people who were out for over 5 hours without any way to get more water once their water bottle was empty, and inadequate air conditioning while the bus was running and NO air conditioning when idle. I complained to Regent upon our return (I’m sure I wasn’t the only one) and was assured that they would be consulting with the tour vendor to determine the problem and prevent its recurrence. Environmental rules in some countries do not allow buses to idle and that means a very hot (or cold) wait for the tour to return.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Choirdirector said:

This is not necessarily true in all circumstances.  We took a tour in Costa Smerelda last July while cruising on Explorer. The bus had faulty air conditioning to begin with - but because of bus idling rules in effect due to the hot weather, the driver turned off the bus at each stop. There was no air conditioning for those passengers who took the tour expecting to stay on the bus in areas that required more extensive walking. The temperature outside was over 90F. In previous years, Regent tour buses usually had a box of bottled water or even a cooler with chilled water. There was NO water on the buses for the mostly elderly people who were out for over 5 hours without any way to get more water once their water bottle was empty, and inadequate air conditioning while the bus was running and NO air conditioning when idle. I complained to Regent upon our return (I’m sure I wasn’t the only one) and was assured that they would be consulting with the tour vendor to determine the problem and prevent its recurrence. Environmental rules in some countries do not allow buses to idle and that means a very hot (or cold) wait for the tour to return.

WoW! Destinations needs some work.

• Like 1

Yessir, Destinations needs some work, badly! On our Explorer cruise to Alaska last June, we booked our own hotel and transfers. All was well. But the people we met onboard told us horror stories about the Anchorage Hilton hotel through Regent, and the provided bus transfers. I won’t go into details as it would be a too-long post. And when we picked excursion for that cruise (and the next one) we avoided bus tours, and chose to make our own transfer arraignments. I suspect that the international labor shortage prevents Regent from getting good contractors for their provided land services. Maybe it needs to try harder. But Regent can’t begin to control service at embarkation and disembarkation ports. So we older people just have to do our research and chose our start and stop ports carefully. But, yes, on land activities that Regent contracts out, more supervision and selection is needed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Destinations Services is the achilles heel for Regent. We had some recent blips with food a couple of times but the team was quick to apologize and make it right. Destination Services wouldn’t even acknowledge the problem and take responsibility, let alone do something about it. There needs to be some leadership changes in that department and some training on customer service. They must have missed that training session.

Edited by pappy1022
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

Destinations Services is the achilles heel for Regent. We had some recent blips with food a couple of times but the team was quick to apologize and make it right. Destination Services wouldn’t even acknowledge the problem and take responsibility, let alone do something about it. There needs to be some leadership changes in that department and some training on customer service. They must have missed that training session.

Interesting. On our Seabourn cruise last month, Destination Services was by far the worst part of our customer service experience. Actually, it was the only bad thing on the cruise, which was otherwise quite lovely - but the DS people were really, really bad. Sounds like we might experience more of the same on Regent next year. I wonder if this is an industry-wide issue? And if so, why?

I think I may know the problem. As I mentioned before, there seems to be a shortage of service labor, and it seems to be world wide. after the pandemic, it became so bad where I live that I considered moving elsewhere. Then I talked to some people who live here I was considering, and learned it was as bad there! On our Regent Alaska cruise the land services through Regent’s contractors were horrible — thankfully we had booked our own.  Onboard, all was great. Getting home, the airline was all fouled up. It seems (I hope) that the lux cruise lines have found a way to still provide good service. I wish the rest of the service and hospitality industry would also.

Maybe, but everyone else on the ship was wonderful and when something wasn’t right, they apologized and fixed it. Destination Services was different and I only saw 3-4 different people working the desk and /or tables to hand out bus tickets. I spoke to the team lead in her office and I walked out of there understanding why the rest of the team had the attitude they had. It starts with leadership. I can’t accept the argument that it’s a staffing issue. Wait, it is a staffing issue …… they hired the wrong team lead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Maybe, but everyone else on the ship was wonderful and when something wasn’t right, they apologized and fixed it. Destination Services was different and I only saw 3-4 different people working the desk and /or tables to hand out bus tickets. I spoke to the team lead in her office and I walked out of there understanding why the rest of the team had the attitude they had. It starts with leadership. I can’t accept the argument that it’s a staffing issue. Wait, it is a staffing issue …… they hired the wrong team lead.

Did she have blond hair?

Along these lines, according to another thread here, Regent is not providing any destination services in Barbados. Guests embarking there must take the credit and set up their own transfers and hotel. I don’t know why, but I think Regent would provide these things if it could.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:37 AM, flossie009 said:

This does not seem to be the perceived wisdom here in the UK:

UK Government Guidelines

Disability Rights UK

Just goes to show how the english language can be nuanced in different places and how individuals can feel slighted when there was no intention to offend.

Flossie you are absolutely correct here.

having done some public sector training in the UK we were told referring to the person as 'having a disability' meant we insinuated the disability was the 'fault' of the person.

Referring to a disabled person meant society was disabling the person - they were disabled because there were no ramps, doors were too narrow for wheelchairs, elevator buttons were too high etc. If these societal, disabling elements were addressed by improving accessibility,  then the individual was able to engage in the same way as everyone else. It's why toilets are now referred to as 'accessible' rather than 'disabled'. The word 'handicapped' is a definite no no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Along these lines, according to another thread here, Regent is not providing any destination services in Barbados. Guests embarking there must take the credit and set up their own transfers and hotel. I don’t know why, but I think Regent would provide these things if it could.

Not sure what are you are saying. The people I spoke to were all onboard the ship, the manager with a dedicated office on the ship.

I don’t understand why Regent can’t develop a survey for tours.   This would build a database so DS know the good and bad tours.  For that matter, assigning staff to take the tours and report back may accomplish the same thing.  

in my working life I often had to do training.  I was evaluated after each training.  It helped me to improve my content and my delivery.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pappy, the other thread here dealt with the fact that Regent is now not including land transfers and embarkation port hotel (concierge suite and above) in Barbados. These services are what I mean by the term “destination services”. The people who provide theses services are independent contractors. But they are (or should be) managed by Regent employees who are also called “destination services”. Clear, I hope.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

pappy, the other thread here dealt with the fact that Regent is now not including land transfers and embarkation port hotel (concierge suite and above) in Barbados. These services are what I mean by the term “destination services”. The people who provide theses services are independent contractors. But they are (or should be) managed by Regent employees who are also called “destination services”. Clear, I hope.

Not completely true.  There appears to be a disparity on this cruise.  I do have hotel and transfers provided (I have had my TA check, double check and triple check this with Regent) but I am flying in from the UK.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:46 AM, PaulaJK said:

The port articulates its rules. A cruise line company decides whether the port rules are conducive to their visit/ itinerary. Not crying over Casablanca per se, I was just pointing to the challenges for older citizens or those w. mobility/ medical  issues when very long walks and a dearth of shuttles combine.

I went on the rejuvenated Crystal Serenity and noticed that they had grab bars in the washrooms, showers and even in the public washrooms. Seats are available for those who need a shower seat. These are definitely in recognition of the aging population. I noticed a lot of grab bars in the toilets, showers etc on the SSea endeavour but thought that was due to it’s expedition ship status. 

Some of the ports are wonderful providing WC assistance while others just do not. 

On 10/25/2023 at 6:16 AM, Jane Mitchell said:

Not completely true.  There appears to be a disparity on this cruise.  I do have hotel and transfers provided (I have had my TA check, double check and triple check this with Regent) but I am flying in from the UK.

Yes, I understand. There is a shortage of hotels and services in Barbados, but not a total absence. My point was the ability to get hotel and transfers in Barbados is limited — whether booked by Regent or by the guest. That’s why — until this matter is rectified — we are avoiding embarking or disembarking there.

On 9/26/2023 at 7:50 AM, Pcardad said:

No - that would get them into a lot of trouble...not to mention the average age of the guests is pretty high.

There are more and more age limitations for excursions. Perhaps not on Regent, but Azamara and Celebrity for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a mobility problem for the past few years.

When sailing on Regent I have received great service when boarding being wheeled from the terminal building to the ship. On my last cruise I requested similar help on departure to go from the gangway to where my luggage had been placed. No assistance was given

2 hours ago, 1901Phil said:

When sailing on Regent I have received great service when boarding being wheeled from the terminal building to the ship. On my last cruise I requested similar help on departure to go from the gangway to where my luggage had been placed. No assistance was given

That is a problem with the terminal - not with Regent.

9 hours ago, 1901Phil said:

I'm so amazed to read this. It shows a lack of empathy and understanding by Regent for the elderly and handicapped.  In Brisbane, I requested wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking and received both. Passengers wait in a lounge and are taken down one at a time.  My daughter picked me up in our car close to the ship in a special zone. I do not use a wheelchair on flat surfaces.  It is the slope, compounded by hand luggage, embarking and disembarking ships, which can cause problems.