PRIMA out of Galveston

drumming cruisers

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

The Prima has only been to Galveston once during it's inaugural tour. And has not home ported there yet. If you're flying into Huston, it is over an hour from the port. 

Depends on the airport.  IAH is more than an hour but Hobby which is mainly Southwest is about 45 minutes.

If you are able to fly into Houston Hobby, you will be closer to the port than flying into Houston Bush. 

After some research on the Gulf coast departures board (see post #3), we booked with Galveston Saltwater Moms for transportation.  They were great and we have already scheduled them again for our next Prima from Galveston.   

We absolutely loved Galveston.  If you can, suggest you go in a day or two early and enjoy the island.   

I’ll second going over to the Gulf Homeport page. It’s been a couple of years since I sailed out of Galveston, but I know a lot of hotels require a minimum two night stay. As mentioned IAH is 66 miles away and often bumper to bumper. Hobby is closer at about 45 miles, but also has traffic issues. 

3 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

Thinking of booking this cruise. if you have been on it, a few questions. 

I am understanding airport is about an hour away from port. What transportation did you use?

What hotel did you stay in? and does it have a restaurant?

Is there a shuttle from hotels to port?

Thank you. 

@drumming cruisers

To help you out your new thread has been moved to the Gulf Coast Departures forum. It will be on topic there. The forum is for hotel, transportation, dining and embarkation information.

Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

suggest you use the Follow feature on any threads where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come looking for you as notifications. If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Happy sails,

Host Kat

For Hotels, it really depends on what style of hotel and what your budget is.  There are only a couple of resort style hotels on the island and those will run you between $200-$300 a night.  The rest of the hotels will be your Holiday Inn/Best Western style hotels.  

The one most cruisers like to stay at is the Harbor House.  Its on the bay side of the island and close to the cruise terminals.  It is close to a bunch of restaurant along the wharf.  Its also close to the Strand which is Galveston downtown entertainment district with restaurants/bars/shops.  

If you are planning to come in a couple of days early and want the resort style hotels, I would stay at either the San Luis or the Grand Galvez.  If you have children, I would also look at Moody Gardens.  They have a ton to do for kids including an aquarium.  You can usually get a package that includes the stay and access to the attractions.  

For flights, Houston has two main airports.  IAH(Bush/Intercontinental) has all the major airlines but is one of United's hub cities.  Its about an hour and a half from Galveston.  The other is HOU(Hobby) and is 90% Southwest gates.  Its smaller but super easy to deal with.  

Can't help you on transportation since I live about 40 minutes from Galveston so I use my own car.  

Edited by Liljo22

We're on Prima in Feb.  We've decided to fly in the day before and overnight at the IAH (Bush) airport Marriott.  We've done this before when on a Princess cruise and it worked quite well.  There is a tram outside each baggage claim. It's free and one of the stops is the Marriott.  Super easy.

There are many transportation options to the port.  I wish I could link to some sites describing those options but that is against CC rules.  Try googling "airport to galveston cruise ports" and you'll get a ton of options.  Almost all options will pick you up at either IAH Bush or HOU Hobby.  

Or,  you can arrange transportation with the cruise lines but they only do airport pickups the day of the cruise.

10 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

... I wish I could link to some sites describing those options but that is against CC rules...

@RocketMan275

Actually, please note the following portion from the Removal of Topics/Posts section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

"... Question: Why don't you allow us to post about other cruise sites? My post contains *** and then you removed it!  Answer:  Actually, we do allow the legitimate linking to information at another cruise site, as long as that link isn't posted in an attempt to drive traffic to that site (in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic), or if the posting of such site is meant to cause disruption within the community. If a website's url or name is replaced by a series of *****, it may mean that particular website had spammed our community with advertisements for their site, or that member(s) may have posted in a way that we consider self-promotion or advertising..."

If you have any further questions, comments or feedback on this matter, also from the Guidelines:

"... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com ..."

Please send your email to LauraS, Senior Manager, Community at community@cruisecritic.com.  Also, please send the email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and be sure to mention your Cruise Critic user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and reply sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please see the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Hope this information will be helpful!