Rare Event: HAL UK offering £1 deposits!

VMax1700

Just a nod to UK readers who may not be aware of the event, but I just received and email from a UK travel agent that HAL UK will be offering £1 deposits on sailings 2024/2025 for three days - September 19th to 21st.

I would still like to read the small print to see when additional cancellation charges kick in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HappyInVan said:

Thanks for the info. The industry has surplus capacity. HAL is still trying to fill their ships at unrealistic prices.

Regardless of the reason -  if someone can take advantage of an unrealistic price - go for it I say!

• Like 1

Just now, rodndonna said:

...  if someone can take advantage of an unrealistic price - go for it I say!

Hmmmm!. Take advantage???

The unrealistic price may fall substantially. That's why I'm now sticking to last minute bookings.

Just got my assignment for a Coastal Vancouver - San Diego guarantee. Booked 4 months before departure for what I considered to be a fair price. Today, Signatures are still available 12 days before embarkation, at a 30% discount to what I paid. Can't imagine what others paid earlier in the year.

What really annoyed me was the way HAL sold SS suites at the lower price, while I waited in category SZ. It would have been a consolation if I had been assigned a SS stateroom after a big price cut. Bad HAL!!!

3 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Hmmmm!. Take advantage???

The unrealistic price may fall substantially. That's why I'm now sticking to last minute bookings.

Just got my assignment for a Coastal Vancouver - San Diego guarantee. Booked 4 months before departure for what I considered to be a fair price. Today, Signatures are still available 12 days before embarkation, at a 30% discount to what I paid. Can't imagine what others paid earlier in the year.

What really annoyed me was the way HAL sold SS suites at the lower price, while I waited in category SZ. It would have been a consolation if I had been assigned a SS stateroom after a big price cut. Bad HAL!!!

I assumed you meant unrealistically "low". Either way - not much of risk on a $1 deposit if the current price looks good today, and then the buyer cancels before final payment if the cruise is still looking empty.

Low deposits do not appeal to me, but I can see why some folks like them. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I assumed you meant unrealistically "low". Either way - not much of risk on a $1 deposit if the current price looks good today, and then the buyer cancels before final payment if the cruise is still looking empty.

The problem is that some of us will have made FP three months out. Some will have booked guarantees.

I'm going to game HAL, since they are gaming us. I made a $1 deposit on an aft veranda for next year, at an unrealistic high price. I'll cancel the day before FP. Then, I'll try to pick that up later at a real price. Aft veranda's are rare.

Edited by HappyInVan

31 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

The problem is that some of us will have made FP three months out. Some will have booked guarantees.

I'm going to game HAL, since they are gaming us. I made a $1 deposit on an aft veranda for next year, at an unrealistic high price. I'll cancel the day before FP. Then, I'll try to pick that up later at a real price. Aft veranda's are rare.

This is exactly why I have been having a hard time getting my aft veranda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

I wouldn't think when they reopen it out at a deeply discounted rate3 months from cruise date (when FP is due) (at least not for a popular cruise) but if you can - go for it!

• Thanks 1