Ultimate Dining Package - How soon should you purchase?

bjlbbk

Is it possible for the Ultimate Dining Package to sell out for a sailing? We just booked a cruise on Oasis for this upcoming April and are wondering if it would be best to purchase the package immediately (so we don’t miss out) or if it would be okay to wait a bit? In the past we found Black Friday to have the best deals but is it worth the risk to purchase it later?  If we purchase it now is it possible to get a refund for the difference when and if the price drops? We have not tried that approach before so don’t know how easy or difficult that might be and whether or not there are any additional risks in doing so. We recall someone sharing a negative experience when they cancelled an excursion so they could repurchase it at a lower price and then when they went to repurchase it a few minutes later the system showed no more availability so they lost out completely. Just wondering what others have done and experienced. Thanks!

Just now, bjlbbk said:

Is it possible for the Ultimate Dining Package to sell out for a sailing? We just booked a cruise on Oasis for this upcoming April and are wondering if it would be best to purchase the package immediately (so we don’t miss out) or if it would be okay to wait a bit? In the past we found Black Friday to have the best deals but is it worth the risk to purchase it later?  If we purchase it now is it possible to get a refund for the difference when and if the price drops? We have not tried that approach before so don’t know how easy or difficult that might be and whether or not there are any additional risks in doing so. We recall someone sharing a negative experience when they cancelled an excursion so they could repurchase it at a lower price and then when they went to repurchase it a few minutes later the system showed no more availability so they lost out completely. Just wondering what others have done and experienced. Thanks!

Buy now you can always cancel and repurchase if the price drops.  I have seen it sell out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We don't cruise Royal often, but when we do, we get the UDP. I always purchase early and check for price drops. I have not seen any price drops since cruising is back in full swing. I have only seen increases. It makes sense that if it is close to selling out, they are not going to drop the price. They only drop the price if the UDP is not selling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help and advice! We went ahead and purchased it to make sure we don’t miss out. Probably wishful thinking on our end that there could still be a drop in price…though we will keep checking just in case!

23 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Black Friday and Cyber Monday are your best hope for a price drop, but my experience is that those prices stayed the same as "sales" throughout the year, barring an RCI IT glitch...

Agreed! We never put much stock in the “sales”. It’s funny to watch the clock run down…and then see the same “deal” offered again the next morning with a new clock running. We did get lucky last year on Black Friday though…snagged some lower prices on dining, soda packages as well as internet. I don’t remember by how much but it was definitely the lowest price we had come across in the months prior and after and it did help out (it all adds up!). With prices going up on everything though we are not holding our breath this go round. Would be nice though!

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

With this package can you choose anything from the menu of the specialty restaurants ? Can you use the Diamond drinks on the specialty restaurants?

You can choose one main and anything else you want. Yes, you can use your diamond drinks in the specialty restaurants.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, travelberlin said:

With this package can you choose anything from the menu of the specialty restaurants ? Can you use the Diamond drinks on the specialty restaurants?

You can also get apetizers at one restaurant and then go to another restaurant for dinner.  I guess in theory you could eat an early dinner at one and then go eat another dinner later at another one the same day....

• Thanks 1

There is usually a significant discount during black Friday sales. However the problem is there is usually also a significant price increase around 2-3 weeks before black Friday sales starts 😆 So for example the UDP used to be $300pp for a 7 day cruise when I checked the UDP prices in October 2022. Then in the early days of November the price suddenly became $375 and voila - on black Friday sales there was a 20% discount making it $300 for the black Friday sales 😂

Thats not to say there wouldn’t be any real discounts during black Friday. For example I booked very nice excursions with a real discount during last black Friday but you really need to know the numbers preferably from 1-2 months prior to black Friday to know if a sale is truly a sale. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, bjlbbk said:

It happen for my whole family of 13 on a Christmas Cuise aboard Symphony in 2021, we had to

buy individual restaurants much,much more expensive

I am returning to Royal after many years. I am considering buying the UDP but it will increase the price of my cruise substantially and I do not eat that much. I also do not like that apparently those packages are in high demand and one has to make reservations immediately after boarding and may be one cannot get a reservation for a preferred restaurant. Maybe I should just return this time to Royal under their regular included dining. I have My time dining and I have already reserved dinner times for me. It seems just easier and no stress 😎

Ivi

On 9/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, molly361 said:

Buy now you can always cancel and repurchase if the price drops.  I have seen it sell out

I have too.  Also, on my last Jewel OTS TA Arctic cruise (17 nights) in August,  it wasn't available online at all.  I could get it on the ship but not beforehand.  I'd never seen that before.

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I am returning to Royal after many years. I am considering buying the UDP but it will increase the price of my cruise substantially and I do not eat that much. I also do not like that apparently those packages are in high demand and one has to make reservations immediately after boarding and may be one cannot get a reservation for a preferred restaurant. Maybe I should just return this time to Royal under their regular included dining. I have My time dining and I have already reserved dinner times for me. It seems just easier and no stress 😎

Ivi

You can always visit a specialty as you like. UDP isn't the only choice. Its too much food for us, so buy a 3 night on 7 night cruise and 5 night on 14 night. 

• Thanks 1