Would I be correct in assuming that Onward is the nicest Azamara ship...

Stockjock

Its nice enough, but there were quite a few issues with finishes that early passengers after referbishing discussed.  Many are likely addressed.

We took it transatlantic after the referbish and really enjoyed it.  A very old school mid size ship vibe, but I think similar to other Azamara ships.  Some people lamented the lesser sized library, but TBH it was basically like most modern ships.  Not everything was brand new.  Plenty of lounge space, smaller combined theater, talk space vs big theater on larger ships.  Enjoyed Captain table dinners at entry area in specialty restaurants, but no 'amazing private space'.  Good ratio of ship sq ft space per passenger.

I would view their R class ships as roughtly similar, date of last refit notwithstanding.  Really enjoyed quality of life onboard and would rank similar to oceania.

Edited by Pizzasteve

No, that would be a bad assumption.

Basically, all 4 of the ships are the same with the exception of Onward, which had the library replaced with a bar.  Onward has a different breakdown of suites vs. balcony cabins, but that does not affect the individual experience. 

I would pick an itinerary that fits and not be the least bit concerned over which ship is "nicest."

• Like 8

Let’s just say there were “issues” with Onwards refurbishment.  Some people say it’s great…..depends on who you ask.  It’s not my favorite, but as @ECCruiseadvises, you should pick based on itinerary, not the “nicest ship”.  Many people say they have had wonderful cruises on Onward.  The busier your cruise is with sightseeing and activities, the less you will focus on the ship anyway. YMMV.

• Like 3

Was on last October-November for a B2B and was somewhat disappointed.  The cabin refurb left the old wood desk and other woodwork.  Looked like a half done reno.  Our only other Azamara cruises were on the Journey, first in 2009 and second in 2018, so nothing recent to compare to, and haven;t been on Quest and Pursuit.   We were very disappointed with the food, to the point that we never ate in the MDR on the 2nd leg, and didn't find the specialties that special.  Hopefully, that's changed by now.  

Of course, this is all subjective, so you have to make your own determination as to what matters to you, and you will form your own opinions of whatever ship you cruise on.

• Like 1

One major difference Onward has with her three sisters is that she has more CC Suites on deck no 8. This might explain why she is used for the world cruise because of increased revenue. I heard stories that Princess handed her over in a very bad dilapidated state, which explains why the refurb during lockdown did go according to plan.

• Like 1

Some might consider it nicest because it has the Atlas Bar replacing the Library - not a view I share. 
Im sure Onward was used because it was the newest but the loss of the library as a reception space is going to be a big issue as the Atlas Bar is smaller than the library.  It was bad enough being “an ordinary punter” on three legs of the previous world cruise on a ship with the library and “exclusive areas for WC events” but I would be concerned at how often spaces get roped off for the WC guests (eg part of the living room or the back veranda) on Onward if I was booking a leg of the trip 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stockjock said:

...since it's apparently the most recently updated/renovated, to my knowledge?  Since it came over from Princess, I'd assume the renovation was extensive, true?

We cruised on Onward in June 2022 on the fourth cruise post refurbishment, and lets just say there work in progress to get the ship up to Azamara’s standard.

It hasn’t put us off as we are booked to return in a few weeks.

Whilst onboard we had a conversation with Tony Markey who was present at both the Onward and Pursuit refurbishments, when asked about the end result (post refurbishment) of the two ships he nearly choked, in replying that Pursuit was a vastly superior job.

From what I have read on these forums Azamara seem to have done a great job, whilst in operation to bring Onward up to the condition she is in now.

• Like 1

IMG_6698.thumb.jpeg.3dabeffe52555b1b7a6636a964dcec7b.jpeg
I thought Ryzard oversaw the Pursuit refurbishment.  Tony was certainly on the inaugural Pursuit cruises as Cruise Director looking after entertainment but I think Ryzard did all the "heavy lifting" on the hotel side.  I wonder how much of the Onward issues in the first few months he would have been able to "kill" or were there too many.

I found our embarkation photos from Pursuit in November - they told a story of how much work was in progress.  It wasnt only physical issues it was the crew training.  For a stateroom  attendant to say this room was ready for a guest was unbelievable - and for them to tell the guest when we highlighted on first meeting them the previous guest had noticed this......(eh didnt the attendant??)  

I can almost forgive the hardware issues, but the training ones were significant.  I know a team from Miami came on in the late Autumn to address staff issues that they had not been able to crack onboard.  I am guessing from some of the better reviews now around that they have succeeded to a greater or lesser extent.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, the mice said:

Was on last October-November for a B2B and was somewhat disappointed.  The cabin refurb left the old wood desk and other woodwork.  Looked like a half done reno.

That is the way all the ships were done, actually. 

Having just returned from our first Onward voyage and having sailed the three other ships in the past twelve months our opinion is that Onward was looking  perhaps (just) the smartest of the four and that a lot of hard work must have been put in given the state of the ship when handed over from Princess. Is it really fair to post pictures that are nearly a year old without direct knowledge of the current state of the ship and crew?
2022 was a difficult year for all organisations for obvious reasons but Azamara certainly seems to have addressed the issues seriously. 
The staff were visible and engaging and the crew were happy, helpful and working like a team. It’s taken time but we’re very content to sail with them again. 

• Like 8

The picture was posted to give context as to what guests experienced a year ago and to explain why many reviews at that time were not positive.  I am aware that there have been improvements but there were also comments made in recent threads, perhaps by the rose tinted glasses brigade, that there were no problems last year which are patently not correct.

Azamara still face some challenges, perhaps some more than other lines given their IT issues, but I am glad that they are being reported as turning the corner.

In answer to the original question - no - if the question was nice I would say yes, nicest - way too subjective.  For us its a no primarily because of the loss of public space with the removal of the library.  That will not bother others.

We were on Pursuit’s Maiden and I really thought it was beautifully done and loved the improvements that were done — for example the upholstered chaise lounges that face the windows in the living room…and the fact that they moved the band area more to the center so you don’t lose that window space and some of the view. I really notice the difference when on Journey and wish they would do that to Journey and Quest…not sure if that’s how it is on Onward. I followed along on social media as they were refurbishing Pursuit and it was amazing to see how everyone pitched in and accomplished what they did and the scale of the entire operation. Yes a few hiccups on the maiden but not many that were obvious (pool chair cushions were delayed but I am remembering correctly they were in place before the end of the cruise). I would bet the condition of Onward upon delivery to AZ, as well as supply chain issues really had an impact. Whomever led the Pursuit refurb did a first-class job.

However…it is time to get rid of the dark wood in the staterooms…time for new cabinets and a lighter/more contemporary design!

Edited by AllisonJames
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, AllisonJames said:

We were on Pursuit’s Maiden and I really thought it was beautifully done and loved the improvements that were done — for example the upholstered chaise lounges that face the windows in the living room…and the fact that they moved the band area more to the center so you don’t lose that window space and some of the view. I really notice the difference when on Journey and wish they would do that to Journey and Quest…not sure if that’s how it is on Onward. I followed along on social media as they were refurbishing Pursuit and it was amazing to see how everyone pitched in and accomplished what they did and the scale of the entire operation. Yes a few hiccups on the maiden but not many that were obvious (pool chair cushions were delayed but I am remembering correctly they were in place before the end of the cruise). I would bet the condition of Onward upon delivery to AZ, as well as supply chain issues really had an impact. Whomever led the Pursuit refurb did a first-class job.

However…it is time to get rid of the dark wood in the staterooms…time for new cabinets and a lighter/more contemporary design!

Have been on all 4 ships now.  Did Pursuit in June. It’s  beautiful…!!  The Living Room design, as you mention above is fantastic.  I would LOVE to see it on the other ships and no, Onward does not have that design.  I would sail again on Pursuit anytime!   The refurbishment that was done is much better than Onward’s.  

Shortly after the 2025 World cruise was announced, we (were onboard, and) asked the HD why the ONWARD was chosen for both the 2024 and 2025  World Voyages.  He said he had asked the same question and was told that the ONWARD had newer, more environmental friendly systems and that allowed it to get into more countries and ports that had higher standards that the other ships could not get to.... for what it's worth...

12 minutes ago, DS said:

Shortly after the 2025 World cruise was announced, we (were onboard, and) asked the HD why the ONWARD was chosen for both the 2024 and 2025  World Voyages.  He said he had asked the same question and was told that the ONWARD had newer, more environmental friendly systems and that allowed it to get into more countries and ports that had higher standards that the other ships could not get to.... for what it's worth...

It also has more suites……a lot more.

• Like 3

Since this appears to be an Onward thread, I'm going in for a question -

We have avoided booking Onward due to (1) Continental Suites aren't usually our first choice and therefore we won't be troubled by early joggers on Deck 9, and (2) so very many reports on cc include examples of frayed soft furnishings and uncomfortable, dated balcony chairs.

However, there is an itinerary that keeps calling to me and might just be too enticing to  pass up.  I currently have it on hold and would like to know about possible noise issues in cabin 6057.

This is starboard just above Mosaic.  Or more precisely, just above the big doors opening out onto the deck.  Noise issues were noted on the sister ships in years past, and I wonder if anyone has a recent experience?

I thank you in advance.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:51 PM, Stockjock said:

...since it's apparently the most recently updated/renovated, to my knowledge?  Since it came over from Princess, I'd assume the renovation was extensive, true?

No, it is not the nicest. It was not well maintained by Princess and the renovations did not make it new.

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1