Balcony door slammers

smithop

6 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

I wish it were simply limited to just balcony doors. Slamming cabin doors, bathroom doors, cabinets, drawers, loud voices, thin walls & so on... I've lived in an apartment for many decades (I get it). Many people do not understand. They're unaware or oblivious.

⬇️Here's some interesting reading below⬇️

🍹

57 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Please take a peek at (Reply #6 in This Thread) & the links that I provided. In fact, you can find a lot of door slamming threads on every cruise line message board right here on Cruise Critic, going back years & years. Many people think this is an issue. 

Wow, that is so true in regards to your example of apartment living. Being surrounded by neighbors & the various noises, certainly can make you aware. I agree, it's not just balcony doors. People do indeed slam or bang many things that you listed. Drawers, cabinet doors, stateroom doors, bathroom doors, loud talking, THIN WALLS. Aware or unaware, it does occur. I've noticed it since I began cruising in the 1980's.

Also, yes you're 101% correct about door slamming posts on every cruise line board here on Cruise Critic. I typed into Google:

Cruise Critic (Princess) Door Slamming 

Cruise Critic (Royal Caribbean) Door Slamming 

Cruise Critic (Carnival) Door Slamming 

Cruise Critic (Celebrity) Door Slamming 

Cruise Critic (MSC) Door Slamming 

Cruise Critic (Norwegian) Door Slamming 

Then I stopped. I found multiple posts going back years. As you stated, people are either innocently unaware, or aware & oblivious.  Its clearly not a single cruise line issue, its a cruising issue. 

🌴

• Like 2

4 hours ago, czechcruzr said:

our door on the breeze was worn out. without a slam it would let air escape and that was very loud. sorry neighbors

This!  We just got off the Glory 2 weeks ago and you HAD to slam the balcony door to get it to seal.  Sometimes many times.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, Capitan Obvious said:

That is an interesting idea, for sure. Just wondering, though: How will you get payback against the noisy neighbor on one side without disturbing your other neighbor who has been quiet?

apparently you missed the sarcasm, or I failed to emote it.  why would I interrupt my sleep to join the inconsiderate unwashed masses?

• Haha 2

On 9/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, rainbowflag said:

They're either deaf or dolts is my experience. 

Yes.  😉

One thing to consider trying if you experience this and have the gumption:

Step 1: go to the cabin on the opposite side of your cabin from the slammers (i.e. slammer - you - party #3) and ask them if they are hearing the slamming too.  Regardless of answer (the question is just an ice breaker), let them know that sometimes you accidentally let the door slam, and want to apologize in advance.  Proceed to Step 3.

Step 2: (alternate): Or, more connivingly, knock on the slammers' door and let them know that you accidentally slammed the door last night, and want to apologize for it, because it can be so loud and disturbing.  Proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: Then when the slammers return to their room, at an opportune and appropriate time "accidentally" slam your balcony door, but then yell out: "Oops, sorry!  Won't happen again!  Slippery little suckers, those handles!"

Extra points for getting the movie reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes.  😉

Step 1: go to the cabin on the opposite side of your cabin from the slammers (i.e. slammer - you - party #3) and ask them if they are hearing the slamming too.  Regardless of answer (the question is just an ice breaker), let them know that sometimes you accidentally let the door slam, and want to apologize in advance.  Proceed to Step 3.

Step 2: (alternate): Or, more connivingly, knock on the slammers' door and let them know that you accidentally slammed the door last night, and want to apologize for it, because it can be so loud and disturbing.  Proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: Then when the slammers return to their room, at an opportune and appropriate time "accidentally" slam your balcony door, but then yell out: "Oops, sorry!  Won't happen again!  Slippery little suckers, those handles!"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5eba3393-9f06-49a7-aa96-0f27ec38b67b

53 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Yes.  😉

So first day boarding we were leaving our cabin after dropping off bags. Saw a room steward a few cabins down so decided to wait and introduce ourselves, were standing between our cabin and neighbors cabin.

While talking to him or neighbor opens door and steps outside and door slams. I pretend to act startled and say dang that scared me. Steward laughs and neighbor glares at me. She looks down hall and goes back in once again letting door slam. She does this 2 more times while we are chatting with Steward for about 2 minutes and gives us all the stink eye while each time letting the door slam. I'm guessing she was looking for luggage.

Even though she looked totally unapproachable I might have done so if it had only been her.

Slippery little suckers.... Pretty Woman😁

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, LatinaInTexas said:

So first day boarding we were leaving our cabin after dropping off bags. Saw a room steward a few cabins down so decided to wait and introduce ourselves, were standing between our cabin and neighbors cabin.

While talking to him or neighbor opens door and steps outside and door slams. I pretend to act startled and say dang that scared me. Steward laughs and neighbor glares at me. She looks down hall and goes back in once again letting door slam. She does this 2 more times while we are chatting with Steward for about 2 minutes and gives us all the stink eye while each time letting the door slam. I'm guessing she was looking for luggage.

Even though she looked totally unapproachable I might have done so if it had only been her.

Slippery little suckers.... Pretty Woman😁

Passive Aggressive!! Party of two!  😉 

• Thanks 1

I never understood why people let trivial things ruin their vacation. As long as it isn't 3am, it doesn't ruin my day. While I try not to do it myself, I'll admit there have been times where the wind takes it. I know the balcony people love to proclaim that it is a quiet, serene place, but that is not always the case.

I am curious why the cruise lines don't user sliding doors though. I'm sure those slamming doors have caused injuries. Perhaps sliding doors aren't as sturdy? 

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I never understood why people let trivial things ruin their vacation.

And I'm curious why you think the complaint about slamming doors has ruined somebody's vacation.  I haven't seen that sentiment expressed in the discussion.  Slamming doors, at least from my perspective, are intrusive, annoying and disruptive.  I understand it's going to happen from time to time; it would be considerate of people to try to keep it from happening on a regular basis.

• Like 2