QM2 Delayed arrival in Hamburg 20th September

Pushpit

20 September 2023 and at this time we were supposed to be pulling into Hamburg's Steinwerder Terminal. Instead, we were awakened from our slumbers at 6.45 am CET by Captain Hashmi to say that we are at least 7 hours adrift from the schedule due to poor weather. We haven't got to the Elbe yet.

Winds were in the 50 knots area, sea conditions rough and Hamburg Port was closed. So the pilot could not board. There is now a backlog of traffic for the Port.

Now of course I had no idea, there was a slight swaying and they closed the promenade decks. But it wasn't so noticeable really onboard, and I am prone to mal de mer.

Glad I didn't pack last night, and though this disrupts my flight arrangements, at least we get to see the Elbe passage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’re on board too, on deck 13. Must admit I was quite impressed  with how stable the ship felt despite the winds. We’re on the port side and we able to see the pilot boat come alongside at about 7 to embark the pilot. We’re coming into the Elbe now. All shore excursions have been cancelled - fortunately we had nothing booked. I don’t know whether we will be able to make it ashore but we’ll see. In the meantime, as @Pushpit says, we can enjoy the sail in along the Elbe. 

• Like 4

Cunard is laying on a programme of entertainment this morning. Quite nice & bright at the moment. We’re disembarking the original pilot & taking 2 more on board for the second half of the transit. No further news yet around arrival & disembarkation times. Passengers leaving the ship today can remain in their cabins until 11am. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

Cunard is laying on a programme of entertainment this morning. Quite nice & bright at the moment. We’re disembarking the original pilot & taking 2 more on board for the second half of the transit. No further news yet around arrival & disembarkation times. Passengers leaving the ship today can remain in their cabins until 11am. 

If you have the time, please provide an update on your docking time. Our latest email from Cunard has you docking at 2:00pm.  We are boarding this afternoon, so will be checking out of our hotel and storing our luggage, and heading out to the Planten un Blomen park. 

• Like 1

It was described on the ship's broadcast as 2:30 pm tied up, and it takes a while before passengers can move. Two gangways for in or out. I didn't catch the exact numbers but it was broadly 1000 on, 1000 off, 1100 in transit. And 4 dogs off, that is the precise canine count, all correctly attired. 

Last boarding is 9.30 pm, so you best arrive after 4pm in my opinion. Or later.

We are now allowed to retain our staterooms until midday.

• Like 4

• Host Hattie changed the title to QM2 Delayed arrival in Hamburg 20th September
15 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

If you have the time, please provide an update on your docking time. Our latest email from Cunard has you docking at 2:00pm.  We are boarding this afternoon, so will be checking out of our hotel and storing our luggage, and heading out to the Planten un Blomen park. 

As posted above by Austcruiser84, the hotel manager confirmed we are due to be tied up by 2.30 and to depart at 10pm. For in transit guests, Cunard are running a shuttle service to the town hall, with the last departure back to the ship at 9.30. Guests finally leaving today can now stay in their cabins until midday - luggage storage facilities are being provided.

Hope you have a smooth embarkation, albeit a later one! 

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Another unusual (unscheduled) opportunity this morning for QM2 to pass Cuxhaven during daylight. Here's a photo I managed to take of that occasion.

1695192138221.thumb.jpg.fd0b3990f59604ca8acedab41354b94c.jpg

This delay reminds me of our 10 hour delay into NYC and experiencing a rare daytime arrival in the harbor. 
Cunard also put together a morning activity Programme out that unexpected day. 

It seems like this has been a lot more organised than our delay into New York some months ago (wow, time flies!) - great to see that Cunard have seemed to learn from that in order to prepare for similar events such as this, and any in the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MylesS said:

It seems like this has been a lot more organised than our delay into New York some months ago (wow, time flies!) - great to see that Cunard have seemed to learn from that in order to prepare for similar events such as this, and any in the future.

I expect it is made rather easier by the fact that transit passengers do not have to disembark in Hamburg unless they want, and there are probably quite a few of those.

• Like 4

We”re back on board having pre-dinner drinks in the Commodore Club. There is a pleasant sunset. 

I must say, from my perspective, Cunard did a good job in challenging circumstances. We were kept well-informed by first the Captain & then the Hotel Manager. Some passengers did decide to ignore the request not to queue early for the gangways which did contribute to some crowding and there ended up being a bit of confusion as to which gangway was which - one for was “in transit” guests like us and the other for everyone leaving the ship altogether. Returning to the ship, those of us  in transit had 2 security lines to ourselves so the wait wasn’t too bad at all. All in all, we had a good day despite the delays. I hope everyone making onward journeys is getting on ok. 

• Like 3