Late Night Snack

MMfan14

37 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Can't go anywhere without hearing this nonsense anymore on how everyone is a victim of healthy food having all of these crazy hurdles. What barriers are there to a salad or vegetables? People just don't want those options. Remember, everyone is on vacation and needs to gorge themselves on every food and drink option. There are many cheaper options out there than chicken tenders and many simpler options out there than meatball subs.

It's no gourmet food, but I'm really glad it's back. Between the strip loin and elimination of late night snacks, those were honestly the only things that somewhat bothered me from the recent "cutbacks." It's nice to have included options at night besides Pizza. Dare I say, that Celebration spread is even better than what they had before. 

The only hurdle of healthy food is cost. I did point out that the vast majority of people are happy with what is being offered. Regardless of the reason Carnival isn't going to offer something people don't/won't eat, even if it is less expensive to offer it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, Cuckoo7 said:

It's more like pico.  I was looking forward to chips and salsa but was disappointed.  As noted by some others, pizza was horrible.  Nuggets were solid.

I hate that when the salsa is more like pico. There's a taqueria near me that makes it like that, but if you tell them you want the "hot salsa" they bring you actual salsa that has a really nice kick to it. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 9:31 PM, Cherries Jubilee said:

Lol yes if they don’t have bbq I will resort to putting ketchup on my chicken nuggets. I will also use it on a hotdog lol.

I’ll eat them dry too though if they aren’t overcooked.

I'm not a honey mustard fan either. I wonder if they'd allow you to bring a small bottle of BBQ sauce on board. 

On 11/1/2023 at 3:48 PM, Rudyard said:

I'm not a honey mustard fan either. I wonder if they'd allow you to bring a small bottle of BBQ sauce on board. 

If the ship has a Pig & Anchor, they have a variety of BBQ sauces.  You can bring a little Tupperware and save some for the late night buffet.  😁

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I did a thread on this after my Celebration Cruise last October. Check it out. I as usual had many of my wise guy comments. In a nutshell IMOP:

Not to be a Karen but, I felt it was most definitely a miss. I'm glad Carnival revived it however if you are going to do something do it right or not at all.

Pizza- different than Carnival's Miami Slice/Pizza Pirate. The stuff at the late-night buffet looked and smelled like pizza from your grocer's freezer.

The smell of the food to me was reminiscent of the slop served at the K-Mart Cafeteria snack bar.

Not a fan of chicken tenders, the look, the smell the taste is better than any weight loss potions IMOP.

My recommendation to Carnival... Just cart over pizzas from the pizza pirate. Even recycling left over buffet food would be  fine with me. Why waste the food? Now, if I had some liquor in me would I partake? Probably not. I'd go to the pizza Pirate or whatever it's called on the different ships.

Not to be a food snob/gourmand but, I can tell food quality by the smells.  I don't remember there being a salad bar at the late-night pig out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/20/2023 at 3:45 AM, MMfan14 said:

Haven't seen any talk about if the new late night snack option is a hit or miss. Anyone who has tried it give your opinion if its a hit or miss.

Compete and totally a miss. I was hoping it would be more in line like a midnight buffet. It’s like chicken fingers, fries, the usual chocolate chip Cookies and Super dried out old pizza

Edited by KyloRen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:24 AM, Amyracecar said:

What time does the buffet usually close after dinner? The last ship I was on (not Carnival) they closed at 9.30 which seemed quite early. There was always a big rush when the late night buffet opened at 11.00 because a lot of people had missed eating earlier and there weren't many other options. I only really go for cookies and coffee anyway at that time, but it seemed weird that you could get a meal at midnight but not 10pm. Cruising on the Pride next month so hope the cookies are as nice as I remember. 

Yes the buffets are hard stop at 9:30 at this point which to me is too early. 

Edited by KyloRen

Compete and totally a miss. I was hoping it would be more in line like a midnight buffet. It’s like chicken fingers, fries, the usual chocolate chip Cookies and Super dried out old pizza.

As I mentioned, why use frozen yuck pizza when you have fresh baked pizza? In my thread I pondered the idea that Carnival was using the late-night barf cuisine as a test bed to see if they could get away with downgrading the overall food quality across the board. Bean counters can be lethal and toxic to the operation!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Zippyjet said:

Compete and totally a miss. I was hoping it would be more in line like a midnight buffet. It’s like chicken fingers, fries, the usual chocolate chip Cookies and Super dried out old pizza.

As I mentioned, why use frozen yuck pizza when you have fresh baked pizza? In my thread I pondered the idea that Carnival was using the late-night barf cuisine as a test bed to see if they could get away with downgrading the overall food quality across the board. Bean counters can be lethal and toxic to the operation!

It's dollar tree food, absolutely disgusting stuff.

They don't need to use the late night snack buffet as a test bed, they've been cutting the food and service quality shipwide for years now.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Captain Zippyjet said:

If you want fresh baked pizza, why not pick it up at the pizzeria? Or have room service deliver. The deli is also open until 11pm.

As this is an old thread, I suspect some of the complaints are from people who haven't tried the new menus and/or haven't cruised in a while.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If you want fresh baked pizza, why not pick it up at the pizzeria? Or have room service deliver. The deli is also open until 11pm.

As this is an old thread, I suspect some of the complaints are from people who haven't tried the new menus and/or haven't cruised in a while.

Well, I tried it on the Mardi Gras two weeks ago and it looked and smelled disgusting.  Honestly, why bother if you going to put out slop?  

36 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Well, I tried it on the Mardi Gras two weeks ago and it looked and smelled disgusting.  Honestly, why bother if you going to put out slop?  

How did it taste?

Why bother? I guess your opinion and experience is not shared by everyone, because I see people lining up for it. 

Personally, I go to the pizzeria for fresh, hot, pizza. 🍕🍕🍕🍕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I appreciate the point that it's no longer just pizza, how hard would it be to have foods that aren't all carbs. Literally, the ONLY thing on that menu I can eat is coleslaw, and even then, it likely has tons of sugar so I wouldn't even be able to eat it. 

How hard is it to add a salad or berries? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeniseTr said:

While I appreciate the point that it's no longer just pizza, how hard would it be to have foods that aren't all carbs. Literally, the ONLY thing on that menu I can eat is coleslaw, and even then, it likely has tons of sugar so I wouldn't even be able to eat it. 

How hard is it to add a salad or berries? 

I thought someone said they didn't have any salad? 🙃

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

From one kitty person to another I totally agree with you. The Late Night Snacks (cud) are NOT a fair representation of the onboard food quality.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mz-s said:

It's dollar tree food, absolutely disgusting stuff.

They don't need to use the late-night snack buffet as a test bed, they've been cutting the food and service quality shipwide for years now.

Actually Dollar Tree/Store food is Haute Cuisine IMOP!  Otherwise, food quality was pretty close to what I recall for Carnival. Selections especially desert have diminished since the late 20 Teens.

• Like 1

Before, they had no late night food except for pizza.

Now, they have other food besides pizza. 

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to eat it.  And you aren't any worse off than you were before.  If anything, you are still better off simply because the line at the regular pizza place will probably be shorter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1