Galveston, TX airport to the Princess Regal ship

beshears

I know I am waaaay ahead of time, but I am trying to find out "time wise" how long does it take to get "normally" from the Galveston, TX airport to the Regal Princess ship? Not always, but normally the ships arrive around 7:00AM, but "getting off" the ship might be another issue to get to a Taxi, etc. to take us to the airport.  I want to have enough time in between, so we won't miss the plane.

Wow... sounds like you're actually flying on to Galveston Island.

Google says it's maybe 20 minutes, and I believe it. Mainly because you hit Broadway and that's effectively the main strip. Or, you can take the sea wall or harbor sides of the island. They would all take about 20 minutes-ish.

Keep in mind, if you disembark at 7 AM, you're going to be on the "right" end of the island for going against rush hour traffic. UMTB and ANICO are the major employers on the island and within walking distance of the cruise terminal. So, commuters will be racing to where you are while you're getting away from everybody else.

You may save some money flying into HOU or IAH and taking the Princess transfer. Both would be a decent Uber/Taxi ride as neither are particularly close to Galveston Island. But, both HOU/IAH are infinitely bigger than the Galveston Island airport.

Edited by Mike07
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beshears said:

I know I am waaaay ahead of time, but I am trying to find out "time wise" how long does it take to get "normally" from the Galveston, TX airport to the Regal Princess ship? Not always, but normally the ships arrive around 7:00AM, but "getting off" the ship might be another issue to get to a Taxi, etc. to take us to the airport.  I want to have enough time in between, so we won't miss the plane.

Do you mean one of the Houston airports? IAH or HOU? I dont think any airline flies into Galveston. So unless you have your own plane your question would be moot.

Assuming you mean one of the Houston airports, it is about 45 minutes (assuming no traffic issues) to Hobby and about 75 to 90 minutes to Intercontinental.  When sailing out of Galveston, we always fly into IAH and always book our flights after 2 pm for the return to account for late ship arrival and traffic to the airport. We last sailed from Galveston last year and used Carnival's bus transportation and it took us about a solid 90 minutes from ship to airport. An Uber/Lyft will likely cost you upwards of $100 easily each way to and from the airport. Carnival's transfer was $30 per person.

Edited by stobe1

Thank you for your responses. As you can TELL, I did not "realize" that we were NOT landing in Galveston, and therein I SEE why Mike07 tried to find some humor in my question! I now understand that give/take it would probably be an hour or less from the airport to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

Wow... sounds like you're actually flying on to Galveston Island.

Google says it's maybe 20 minutes, and I believe it. Mainly because you hit Broadway and that's effectively the main strip. Or, you can take the sea wall or harbor sides of the island. They would all take about 20 minutes-ish.

Keep in mind, if you disembark at 7 AM, you're going to be on the "right" end of the island for going against rush hour traffic. UMTB and ANICO are the major employers on the island and within walking distance of the cruise terminal. So, commuters will be racing to where you are while you're getting away from everybody else.

You may save some money flying into HOU or IAH and taking the Princess transfer. Both would be a decent Uber/Taxi ride as neither are particularly close to Galveston Island. But, both HOU/IAH are infinitely bigger than the Galveston Island airport.

Very clever sir! Bravo!

10 minutes ago, beshears said:

Thank you for your responses. As you can TELL, I did not "realize" that we were NOT landing in Galveston, and therein I SEE why Mike07 tried to find some humor in my question! I now understand that give/take it would probably be an hour or less from the airport to the ship.

I honestly wasn't laughing at you. I earnestly don't know what carriers fly into Galveston Island unless it's all private/personal aircraft traffic.

My comment still stands though that when you disembark, you'll be on the right side of the island to avoid rush hour. But, rush hour is honestly not that bad. Nothing like Houston proper.

Edited by Mike07

OK Mike, as you can guess, I have NEVER been there, so that is why I was asking these questions, as the other people DEPEND upon me to sort of organize what/where we will be going, etc.

In regard to the other person that answered, at this point I have just been checking out SWA, and they will be flying to Hobby Airport.

• Like 1

HOU (Hobby) is 45 miles from the seaport.  IAH (International) is 70 miles from the seaport.  HOU mainly serves SWA while most of the others use IAH.  In order to get to IAH you have to go through the center of Houston, a city of ~4 million, and congestion particularly in the center mix-master is an experience most anytime of the day.  I45 from the island is constantly being worked on by TXDOT with frequent lane closures and to that add frequent collisions tying up the interstate and it gets really interesting.   HOU is easier to get to but one still has to consider the lane closures and collisions that tie up traffic. Once you cross the causeway leaving the island (only one) you will be in city traffic then add the traffic on the island since many from Houston love to go to the island.  

I live in Galveston. Hobby is your best bet. Mainly Southwest, but AA and Delta have flights as well. If you have two people Uber is the easiest as your fare will be $50ish. Galveston airport no longer has commercial service. If you leave the ship at 7:00 walkoff with your luggage and grab an Uber most likely be at Hobby by 10ish.  I would book later on Southwest and if you get to the airport early you can always try to stand by on an earlier flight which is now free for all status on SW