Places to stay in Boston

Jeaannie55

We are cruising out of Boston next year and we are looking to stay for a week or so to explore the City.  We would prefer an apartment, but most of these are out of the centre, so wondered if any of you lovely, helpful people could point us in the direction of good (or not so good) areas to look at?  TIA

2 hours ago, Jeaannie55 said:

We would prefer an apartment, but most of these are out of the centre, so wondered if any of you lovely, helpful people could point us in the direction of good (or not so good) areas to look at?

If I were doing what you are looking to do I would be looking in Beacon Hill/West End, Back Bay, South Boston, and maybe the Financial District/Waterfront area. All of those would put you within walking distance of most things (South Boston would be a little bit more of a walk than the others). 

In the West End (which is adjacent to Beacon Hill and near North Station/Garden) is a complex called Longfellow Place. They might have short term rentals-- we recently put someone there for work for a few weeks and they had a good experience. The city is very walkable from it. 

Boston has strict rules regarding short term rentals, so you won't find many.  It's an easy city to get around by any means other than a car.  My answers for location would depend on month you're visiting and what you're most interested in seeing.  

3 hours ago, Julma said:

Boston has strict rules regarding short term rentals, so you won't find many.  It's an easy city to get around by any means other than a car.  My answers for location would depend on month you're visiting and what you're most interested in seeing.  

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If I were doing what you are looking to do I would be looking in Beacon Hill/West End, Back Bay, South Boston, and maybe the Financial District/Waterfront area. All of those would put you within walking distance of most things (South Boston would be a little bit more of a walk than the others). 

In the West End (which is adjacent to Beacon Hill and near North Station/Garden) is a complex called Longfellow Place. They might have short term rentals-- we recently put someone there for work for a few weeks and they had a good experience. The city is very walkable from it. 

Thank you both, will investigate more, based on the information you have kindly provided.

I would stick to the Copley, Quincy Market, Seaport area.  I really enjoy the Seaport (so much so I live there).  It is very walkable and you're close to South Station.  There is a Residence Inn on Congress St.  I have never stayed there, but it looks nice.  Since you're going to be staying a long time, it would be nice to have a kitchen and there is a Trader Joe's and a CVS right there.  It is walkable to South Boston (check out Castle Island), North End, Chinatown, Financial District.  If you don't mind a longer walk, we walk to Fenway too.  Tons of restaurants, bakeries, and shopping. Foliage depends on summer weather, so there may or may not be any.  Arnold Arboretum is a wonderful day trip to take in some foliage.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this, I have checked out the reviews for the Residence Inn and they are mainly positive.  Ideally we wanted an apartment with 2 bedrooms as we are sister travelling together and will have shared a cabin for the previous 12 days! 
but this does seem like it could be a good compromise.

thank you also for the tips on places to see within walking distance, much appreciated, not heard of Arnold Arboretum with the research done so far, so will definitely have a look at that.

1 hour ago, Julma said:

I would stick to the Copley, Quincy Market, Seaport area.  I really enjoy the Seaport (so much so I live there).  It is very walkable and you're close to South Station.  There is a Residence Inn on Congress St.  I have never stayed there, but it looks nice.  Since you're going to be staying a long time, it would be nice to have a kitchen and there is a Trader Joe's and a CVS right there.  It is walkable to South Boston (check out Castle Island), North End, Chinatown, Financial District.  If you don't mind a longer walk, we walk to Fenway too.  Tons of restaurants, bakeries, and shopping. Foliage depends on summer weather, so there may or may not be any.  Arnold Arboretum is a wonderful day trip to take in some foliage.  

I have been looking at Airbnb and there seem to be a few apartments in the Cambridge area, if you could advise me if that area is okay?  

10 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Come back and post info on places you are considering.  Some places claim "South End" but aren't in such great locations.

5 hours ago, Jeaannie55 said:

I have been looking at Airbnb and there seem to be a few apartments in the Cambridge area, if you could advise me if that area is okay?  

Cambridge is fine and quite nice-- its the area where Harvard University is. It's just a bit further out from the normal tourist areas of Boston proper. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 3:40 PM, Jeaannie55 said:

Cambridge is generally fine, but it is pretty big and there are places on the edge that are pretty industrial and gritty.  Not dangerous, just not at all attractive.  Many areas are close to subway and buses, but some are not.  If you can post an address here we can help let you know if it's a good choice or not

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 2:54 PM, Julma said:

I would stick to the Copley, Quincy Market, Seaport area.  I really enjoy the Seaport (so much so I live there).  It is very walkable and you're close to South Station.  ...Tons of restaurants, bakeries, and shopping. 

Hi Julma!

Would like to pick your brain. Looking at redeeming points for mid-July 2024; just two nights planned. 

Do you have a preference for Hyatt Place (looks like right next door to Legal Sea Food restaurant), over Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites (which have the same address...). It looks like the latter at 670 Summer Street would be walkable to the ship, with very light luggage. Possibly also the Hyatt?

I'm guessing this puts us farther from South Station, but we would probably use taxi/Uber to get to maybe the Arboretum on our full day (if planes fly as planned).

Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites is closer to the cruise port than Hyatt.  Hampton Inn is a very short walk, but Hyatt is also walkable.  You would want to taxi, ride share or take the Silverline to either hotel from South Station.  I've never taken the Silverline down to that area, but I know it goes there and is easy to navigate.  Once there pretty much anything in the Seaport/Fort Point area is walkable.  If you don't make the Arboretum, the Rose Kennedy Greenway is a lovely walk.  If you're up for a bit of a walk, you can walk the Greenway all the way to the No. End.  On the way back you could walk along the Harborwalk which will take you along the water.  If it becomes too much walking, you can always order a car share.  In July there will be lots of activities on both the Greenway and Harborwalk.  When you get closer to your trip, I'm happy to recommend some places to eat, shop, visit, just reach out again.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Julma!

Would like to pick your brain. Looking at redeeming points for mid-July 2024; just two nights planned. 

Do you have a preference for Hyatt Place (looks like right next door to Legal Sea Food restaurant), over Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites (which have the same address...). It looks like the latter at 670 Summer Street would be walkable to the ship, with very light luggage. Possibly also the Hyatt?

I'm guessing this puts us farther from South Station, but we would probably use taxi/Uber to get to maybe the Arboretum on our full day (if planes fly as planned).

Those are great hotels for getting to the ship.  Lousy for touring Boston, although the MBTA Silver Line does come pretty close.  Decide which is more important to you:  Near the ship or near the attractions

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Those are great hotels for getting to the ship.  Lousy for touring Boston, although the MBTA Silver Line does come pretty close.  Decide which is more important to you:  Near the ship or near the attractions

Solid advice. For one night before boarding these make a ton of sense. For two nights with touring these would not be my first choice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 8:48 AM, princeton123211 said:

Solid advice. For one night before boarding these make a ton of sense. For two nights with touring these would not be my first choice. 

What area/ hotels WOULD you recommend for two nights with touring pre cruise? We’re on the same cruise as crystalspin, late July 2024.

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:
On 11/17/2023 at 11:48 AM, princeton123211 said:

What area/ hotels WOULD you recommend for two nights with touring pre cruise?

It really depends on your budget. Personally I think one of the best overall hotels for touring, central location, ease of getting around, and general atmosphere is the grande dame Fairmont Copley Plaza. That being said that hotel can be priced on the low end around $250 a night but can be $500-600 a night during some times of the year for a basic room. 

Both Hilton and Marriott have a bunch of well located hotels that you could use points for during the busier season. For example he Westin Copley Place is right across the street from the Fairmont, and while lacking nearly any of the charm the Fairmont has, can be had for a bit less a night or you can use Marriott Bonvoy points. 

If you have a budget in mind I'd be happy to give a few specific recommendations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lax19 said:

Any thoughts on the Yotel on Seaport Blvd? Looking at two nights at the end of August 2024.

If its anything like the Yotel in NYC the room is miniscule-- literally a coffin with a duvet. Location wise its not my favorite-- you are still a decent walk to most tourist things but not terrible. If you're ok with a 15-20 min walk to most things then it's fine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If its anything like the Yotel in NYC the room is miniscule-- literally a coffin with a duvet. Location wise its not my favorite-- you are still a decent walk to most tourist things but not terrible. If you're ok with a 15-20 min walk to most things then it's fine. 

Thank you. The room description shows it at 240 sq ft, which is bigger than the my cabin for the upcoming cruise! My only plan is to go to a game at Fenway and will probably Uber. Other than that we like to walk and wonder.

19 hours ago, lax19 said:

Thank you. The room description shows it at 240 sq ft, which is bigger than the my cabin for the upcoming cruise! My only plan is to go to a game at Fenway and will probably Uber. Other than that we like to walk and wonder.

Public transit from the Yotel is simple.  I'd walk to South Station, take the Red Line to Park Street, then catch the Green Line "B, C, or D" train westbound to the Kenmore Square Station.

Buy your return fare ticket before you leave Kenmore so you don't have to wait in long lines to buy on your way back

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the input. In the end, I’ve booked the Aloft, Boston Seaport. It’s a short taxi ride from the airport, walking distance to the cruise terminal, has really good review, and is completely covered by our Expedia points. 
We arrive late enough we’re just having dinner and calling it a night, so there’s just the one full day. The hotel is close to public transport, so we’re getting day passes and heading in to town for the day. Last time we had a port of call day in Boston, we had lunch at The Boston Sail Loft. We’re definitely headed back there this time!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

What area/ hotels WOULD you recommend for two nights with touring pre cruise? We’re on the same cruise as crystalspin, late July 2024.

Hi, I don't have you on the Roll Call list? So far four of us are staying at Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites, which have the same address and same photo. I guess you book under whichever loyalty program you belong to? Already planning to get together on the evening of the 19th (possibly the 18th too) for happy hour!

Location was thumbs'up up thread by @Julma. Walk to pier if possible for your party.