New Sensitivity to Hair Dye

Suzanne123

I can’t be the only lady “ of a certain age” who has developed a sensitivity to hair dye. After my last two appointments, my scalp started to itch continuously and has made me miserable. Lots of information on the internet about the dye ingredients, but no solutions.  Any stylists out there who can tell me if there is a way to color the gray with just foils or something that doesn’t lay on my scalp? I usually get low lights and highlights, and sometimes only the roots need done, but I always have dye that needs to be “working” for about a half hour.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

I can’t be the only l iady “ of a certain age” who has developed a sensitivity to hair dye. After my last two appointments, my scalp started to itch continuously and has made me miserable. Lots of information on the internet about the dye ingredients, but no solutions.  Any stylists out there who can tell me if there is a way to color the gray with just foils or something that doesn’t lay on my scalp? I usually get low lights and highlights, and sometimes only the roots need done, but I always have dye that needs to be “working” for about a half hour.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I, too, am allergic to hair dye ... the offending ingredient for me is PPD - it's a really long word that starts with phen.....    Clairol makes a demi-permanent hair product without it but none of the colors work for me - you might take a look.

• Like 1

Yes there is a method to do foils only but it yields the blended gray look for those of us who toy with the idea of letting it go. I tried it one summer and it looked fine but decided I didn’t want the gray look yet.  (Once my hair is evenly grayed I would quit coloring. ).  I am going to my stylist tomorrow, I will try to remember to ask her the name of that method. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I have an appointment tomorrow, too.  I found the most often mentioned problem ingredients ( I saw the PPD referenced.) and I’ll ask to see the box or whatever they store the dyes in and hopefully she can change brands or think of a solution. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

Thanks. I have an appointment tomorrow, too.  I found the most often mentioned problem ingredients ( I saw the PPD referenced.) and I’ll ask to see the box or whatever they store the dyes in and hopefully she can change brands or think of a solution. 

I don't think there is any permanent hair color product that doesn't contain PPD. - I'd be interested in hearing what you find out.

Just back from the salon.. She used a Wella toner with a 6% peroxide for 30 minutes to cover almost all the gray, and it blended really well with my current blond.  No low-lights. Just a little itching which may be from the last time.

Anyway, I’ll know in a day or two if it worked.  

• Like 2

Have you considered discontinuing your hair coloring? 

I "grew out my gray" during Covid since I knew no one would see me during that awkward period. I'm so happy I did. Frees me up from being tethered to regular colorings and the expense that goes with the upkeep. My hair (and scalp) are very happy and healthy too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Have you considered discontinuing your hair coloring? 

I "grew out my gray" during Covid since I knew no one would see me during that awkward period. I'm so happy I did. Frees me up from being tethered to regular colorings and the expense that goes with the upkeep. My hair (and scalp) are very happy and healthy too.

I did the same thing!  I had intended to keep coloring my hair until I retired from teaching, but then Covid hit /we left school on Friday, March 13 and didn't return in person until -- oh, was it September or October?  I quit coloring my hair while we were at home, and I decided I like my hair with a touch of gray.  I was never good at keeping up with my coloring, and I'm very happy with what I have now.  

Be forewarned though:  The transition /growing out months are bad.  BAD.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I did the same thing!  I had intended to keep coloring my hair until I retired from teaching, but then Covid hit /we left school on Friday, March 13 and didn't return in person until -- oh, was it September or October?  I quit coloring my hair while we were at home, and I decided I like my hair with a touch of gray.  I was never good at keeping up with my coloring, and I'm very happy with what I have now.  

Be forewarned though:  The transition /growing out months are bad.  BAD.  

That’s what cute hats are for!

• Haha 1

I don't know how well it will work on mostly or more gray hair, but overtone color is a coloring conditioner instead of a dye.  They do have natural colors as well as the fantasy colors.  I've used the browns and the black and it covers my handful of white strands.  And if the fantasy colors are something anyone is interested in, they work best as upkeep between coloring.