Terrace for Dinner?

PelicanLvr

We grew to enjoy eating at the terrace.  Not a typical buffet as they serve you at the stations instead of people touching the food.  Our favorite was the grill which they had most nights.  Grilled to order steak, lamb chops, salmon, shrimp and lobster and veggies.  May have to wait a few minutes but worth it to us.  They also have a carving station, pasta, sushi, etc. Often find items they are serving in the MDR.  If weather permits and you can snag a seat outside can be very pleasant.  

We also stopped in just for some sushi or a desert.  We ate breakfast there many days as well.  

• Like 5

Go   during opening hours  get a table  then go  up to the counters & get your food

Usually waitstaff will take your beverage order  & bring to the table

Most people drape the napkin on the arm or back of chair to show it is occupied when you go for  other courses

most of the time it works 😅

• Like 3

Terrace Cafe has excellent food and was my favorite on the Riviera. No self serve. We never had to wait for anything. Always plenty of tables open...on our cruise at least. The grill station is outstanding with the huge shrimp being my favorite. 

We met another couple who on a previous cruise ate at the Terrace Cafe 33 nights of their 35 night cruise.

• Like 3

The tables are set with nice linens, glassware and silverware - more like a nice sit down restaurant.  You are served your drinks, etc. by a waiter at your table.  Sitting outside on a beautiful morning as you sail into port or a warm evening as you sail out of port is a real treat!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, basor said:

You are served your drinks, etc. by a waiter at your table. 

Did you notice if waiters were replenishing drinks orders in a timely manner ?

Or were people often having trouble finding drink waiters outside on the Terrace ?

I recall there were some reports about a year ago which mentioned that area as 'good for teetotallers' .

With wine now be automatically included in the new pricing there may well be an increase in demand.

Just now, Tranquility Base said:

Did you notice if waiters were replenishing drinks orders in a timely manner ?

Or were people often having trouble finding drink waiters outside on the Terrace ?

I recall there were some reports about a year ago which mentioned that area as 'good for teetotallers' .

With wine now be automatically included in the new pricing there may well be an increase in demand.

In our many O cruises we have never had an issue with our water, coffee/tea, drinks, wine not being refilled in a timely manner....if they didn't come around and offer a refill, a quick eye contact and raise of glass/cup brought the appropriate drink in quick time.  Also, a profuse " thank you" said with a smile also seemed to keep the refills coming.....we never snap fingers and/or holler "hey" to request any type of service.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We really enjoyed dinner at the Terrace Café - food is high quality (not your usual bufffet stuff) and the grill is great.   Since (on Vista) Jacques is no longer an option and we don't like the sound of Embers and Aquamare I think we will be eating dinner at the Terrace more often than in the past!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woofa said:

Not a typical buffet as they serve you at the stations instead of people touching the food. 

That alone will make me so happy to be sailing Oceania for the first time in December. I hate the self serve buffet on every other cruise line. So excited, we will be sailing Serena on a 12 day Miami round trip to the southern Caribbean. 

• Like 2

I recommend Terrace Cafe for dinner especially after a day in port. It's more casual.  There is the grill with made to order steaks and seafood. I especially recommend it for the Chef's Market Grill where they prepare dishes from the region where you are sailing.  On my last couple of cruises I had Spanish Paella and Tuscan Fish Stew as an example of that.  They will usually do that for 2 consecutive nights so make sure you set aside a night for that. 

The service has been good in my experience. As long as the wine or spirit is available at the Terrace bar you won't have to wait long. On rare occasion it's not, the waiter may have to go to another bar to get it.  We've eaten at Terrace for dinner on numerous occasions and never had trouble getting a table even with arriving after 6:30. The most crowded time at Terrace is breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Oh my word, do people still do this? I have not seen that on a cruise in I don't know how long... 🙂

Unfortunately, yes and grumble when someone approaches ......a smile and a please and thank you go so much farther these days anywhere.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ToxM said:

There’s also usually a couple of the GDR options in the Terrace as well. We usually end up there unless there is something especially tempting on the GDR. 

It’s the Queen of Buffets at sea. 

Additionally, if you are Gluten Free (or any other Free, I think) your pre-selected items from the MDR can be brought up to you at the Terrace.  Frequently, DW (who is Gluten Intolerant and has pre-selected dinner items from the MDR menu) and I would dine at the Terrace and her MDR items would be brought up course by course and she could supplement her GF selections with clearly GF items from the Terrace.  In the FWIW category, she was also able to get GF selections for lunch brought up to The Waves at lunchtime.

Greg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1