Saint John NB: Things to See

CTGirl74

We're going on a Canada & NE cruise on MSC in a couple weeks and our Saint John excursion was just cancelled. Given it's so close to departure, there isn't much left for the ship's excursions. One is three hours:  one hours' drive each way with only and hour to explore at $65/pp; and the other is a one-hour trolley ride at $45/pp. The first one doesn't interest us given the price for what is basically a narrated bus ride 2/3 of the time and the second is expensive for the same type of ride for just one hour. I've checked the private tour operators and all the tours are either sold out or conflict with our port times in some way. I finally found a map of the port area here:   https://www.sjport.com/visiting-passengers. I asked my husband, "Take a look and let me know what you'd like to see/do." His answer was, "I guess we'll follow the dotted line" (on the map). LOL

Anyway, for those that have been there, any recommendations for what to see/do? I'm not particularly interested in renting a car, so we'd likely grab an Uber (if available) or just walk around. We're in port on a Saturday from about 10 am to 4 pm. I see there are a few museums, so that's an option (husband loves history; I like it). He loves beer. I like anything food-related, though artisan-type/specialty food is something I really prefer when I'm travelling (in other words, stuff I don't normally find or get at home). We like nature. Art isn't our thing.

Any suggestions are appreciated, as I'm coming up empty. Even though there's a map right in front of me, I find myself kind of stumped without a planned excursion.

There is an old market in the downtown area that is interesting and a park and old cemetery close to the market too. The reversing falls are

worth a look at, although I would recommend seeing them at both high and low tide

if you can Uber to the small town of st Martin there are a couple of quaint shops and two covered bridges right there. There is also a rock beach with caves close as well

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

have a look at "trip advisor" to see what is in the area that may be of interest to you

might be too late to book tours

There is  a HOHO bus

There is the Container village right  at the port

https://www.area506.ca/container-village

I checked on the bus and it's closed for the season. Unless there's another? It was the Big Pink Bus, I believe.

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I did not think they would finish  before the cruise season was done

Maybe check out

https://saintjohn.ca/en/transit/city-bus-tours

Thanks! I'll check this out. I hadn't thought of the city bus.

Yes, I was surprised the HOHO is already closed for the season. I'm finding that's the case with several attractions, too. 

1 hour ago, CTGirl74 said:

Thanks! I'll check this out. I hadn't thought of the city bus.

Yes, I was surprised the HOHO is already closed for the season. I'm finding that's the case with several attractions, too. 

We were booked on the HOHO for this past week, but our cruise was re-routed to the Bahamas.  I wonder if the bus closed early when many ships had to cancel their stops there recently, due to the storms?

20 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We were booked on the HOHO for this past week, but our cruise was re-routed to the Bahamas.  I wonder if the bus closed early when many ships had to cancel their stops there recently, due to the storms?

Oh, maybe. I didn't think of that.

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

How far is the old city market from where the cruise ship docks and how to get there?

I found this online:  https://www.sjport.com/visiting-passengers. Scroll to the bottom and there's a map. The ship docks ar Marco Polo Cruise Terminal and the city market is #13 on the map. Looks to be about a 15 minute walk according to Google Maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, declansdad said:

There are no Ubers in New Brunswick. You can easily walk to the City Market as well as a number of brew pubs from the Marco Polo cruise terminal

Good to know about the lack of Uber--thank you!

After checking out the map I linked to and doing lots of research on some of those places, as well as some we saw on Google Maps, I think we have a plan for the day. Or at least a few places in mind to visit. Unfortunately, the Loyalist House and a few other historic places are closed, either because it's the end of the season or because they're closed on Saturdays. But we found Woodchuck's Ax Throwing, which we plan to try; the city market and Market Square; and a restaurant that looks good--Churchill's Pub & Steakhouse🙂 

Edited by CTGirl74

11 hours ago, CTGirl74 said:

Good to know about the lack of Uber--thank you!

After checking out the map I linked to and doing lots of research on some of those places, as well as some we saw on Google Maps, I think we have a plan for the day. Or at least a few places in mind to visit. Unfortunately, the Loyalist House and a few other historic places are closed, either because it's the end of the season or because they're closed on Saturdays. But we found Woodchuck's Ax Throwing, which we plan to try; the city market and Market Square; and a restaurant that looks good--Churchill's Pub & Steakhouse🙂 

There isn't much at Market Square anymore unless you are looking for food. I've never been to Churchill's before so I can't pass along much there. If you are just looking for craft beer, try Picaroon's General Store. It's a good little brew pub and it is just around the corner from Churchill's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:56 AM, LHT28 said:

There is the Container village right  at the port

https://www.area506.ca/container-village

I saw this as I was researching options.  We have visited SJ several times and want to do something different. We are doing a B2B.  The first cruise stops on Tuesday Oct 24.  I noted the website says they are closed on Tuesdays but have extended hours when ships are in port.  I also noted they are open Monday and Tuesday of this week. Fingers crossed for our cruise.

The second cruise stops there on November 5.  Does it stay open that long?  The website says it is open until mid-fall.  📆

This looks very fun and quirky.  

1 hour ago, iowacruiser10 said:

Thanks for the note about no Ubers!  Are there taxis typically available near the port?  My parents both can’t walk long distances so we’re trying to decide whether to get off and find a restaurant or just enjoy a day on the ship.  Thank you!

If you don't want to walk far (and Saint John is mostly steep!), the Container Village, right at the ship terminal, might be fun to explore.  There are a couple of places selling Canadian foods such as beaver tails (pastry) and poutine.  Alternately, the Big Pink Bus can provide a circle tour that takes in a lot of the sights, and it has a stop right at the port, too.

Well, this port was cancelled due to the tropical storm headed towards Halifax (cancelled, too), but hopefully others get some good information. Thanks to those that answered me. 🙂 I'm on the MSC Meraviglia right now and we're pulling into Boston.

Was in Saint John NB today Oct 10th. Pretty disappointed at the container village vs the large tent area they used to have. A lots less vendors and talking to one vendor they are unhappy with this new option. Their rent more than tripled and it hurts business when it rains. 

• 4 months later...

Has anyone ever done the Moosehead Brewery Tour in St John?  Is it easy to get to, and is it worth it?  Would love to hear any thoughts.  We are on an August Cruise and this is one of the stops... thanks.

If I recall correctly, MB is one of the stops on the HOHO bus route.  Getting there via the bus would give you a look at some of the other sights, as well.  I think it is across the bay from cruise terminal, so not walking distance.