A couple of questions about bars on Carnival

edrussell

Hey all, we've just recently got off our first Carnival cruise after taking 6 on RCCL.  We do buy the drink package on RCCL and we also bought the Cheers package on Carnival.  Since we were cruising out of Manhattan I knew it would not take effect on Day 1, but I was surprised with one aspect of how Carnival bars worked (at least on Venezia).  On RCCL all bars have soda on a gun so you can easily grab a glass of soda (most friendly bartenders will even give people a glass without even a refreshment package).  On Venezia they only had cans of soda.  So on Day 1 I was hoping to be able to use our Cheers package to at least get a glass or two of soda, but no dice.  We were forced to buy a can at 3.00 per can.  Not a huge deal as there was free iced tea and lemonade but it was a surprise.  Next time we will take on a case of soda with us.  Easy peasy.  Is this the case on all Carnival ships? (not the Cheers package on Day 1, but the lack of fountain pop).

Also one particular bar made a big deal out of handing over beers or Truly opened.  We are very used to grabbing a beer or two on RCCL and taking them back to our room to enjoy later.  We were able to do this on Venezia in most bars, but one of them made a big deal out of it.  My wife asked for a beer to take with her and he said quite loudly that 'the rule is they must be opened and he would NOT give her a beer unopened'.  Odd.  I asked another bartender at that bar later and she also said it was a 'rule'.  More often than not we just avoided that bar as most of the bartenders there were grumpy.  Just a one off?

Not a question, but the straws on Carnival, *****...  I am sure it has been discussed here, but my god they are terrible.  RCCL has compostable ones on most ships and they are just fine.  Next time I'll bring my own metal ones.

Signing for every drink as well, something we just aren't used to.  I get the why, but what a bloody waste of paper.

Just a few questions and comments.  Cheers all.

• Like 1

One other strange one I've noticed while reviewing our digital receipts through the Hub app, is that drinks are 1.00 when ordered in the MDR.  A crown royal is 12.00 when ordered from any bar onboard, but is 11.00 in the MDR.  Is this normal?

I haven't noticed pricing different in the MDR. As for your other question, yes bar tenders are to open drinks but many will not. Soda is always in a can and the straws suck if you can get one. I just take my metal one.

You may also notice your drinks showed up on your bill at zero charge.

• Like 2

They are supposed to open all drinks paid for with a beverage program like Cheers or Bottomless Bubbles, to discourage hoarding.

It is a rule, yes.

On Carnival, soda is generally poured out of a room-temperature can over ice. There are few fountain guns or dispensers, only on a few ships.

• Like 1

Wow, fast answers to my questions.  Thanks everyone.

What I did was screenshot the 'receipts' of drinks we consumed via the Cheers Package.  I have found 3 examples of drinks being a different cost in the MDR versus all other bars.  Also I found one example of a beer being 6.50 at one bar, then 7.50 at another.  Now with that said all are zero dollars as we had the Cheers package.  If I were paying out of pocket that would be annoying, being different prices at different bars.

I guess it is policy to open drinks, most bars didn't seem to 'enforce' it though.

• Like 1

What do the drinks cost if you don't have a package?  We're on the Dream in November.

Other questions  -------

Do we need to make show reservations prior to boarding?

How do we sign up for early dining?

Is there an app that shows what all is happening onboard?

Do we get a pamphlet that shows the activities every day?

We have sailed Royal several times, but wanted to try Carnival....

All suggestions are appreciated.

10 minutes ago, TXranchgal said:

What do the drinks cost if you don't have a package?  We're on the Dream in November.

Other questions  -------

We have sailed Royal several times, but wanted to try Carnival....

All suggestions are appreciated.

Drink prices vary but you can look at the drink menus at the Prof Cruise site.
https://profcruise.com/carnival-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2023/

You don't make reservations prior to boarding

You sign up for early dining when you book. If you didn't when you booked it might already be unavailable. Check your booking info. You can choose YTD instead.

Look up the Carnival Hub app. It will show everything happening aboard. You can also ask your steward for the Fun Times to be delivered daily for the paper copy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did Carnival stop including soda when you have Cheers? I don't drink a lot of soda (ok, virtually none) but I always thought it was included with Cheers.

ETA, I looked and here is what is included (I didn't realize that fresh juice was removed until our last sailing on Glory):

CHEERS! INCLUDES:

• All spirits (including cocktails), as well as beer and wine by the glass with a $20.00 or lower menu price 
  • Sodas, Zero-Proof frozen cocktails, energy drinks, specialty coffee, hot tea, 500ml bottled water and other non-alcoholic bottled beverages
  • Packaged water in the Dining Room and Specialty Restaurants
  • 25% discount off the menu price for any spirit or wine by the glass above $20.00
  • 25% discount off the menu price for wine and champagne by the bottle
  • 25% discount off beverage seminars and classes
Edited by sparks1093

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

Did Carnival stop including soda when you have Cheers? I don't drink a lot of soda (ok, virtually none) but I always thought it was included with Cheers.

Soda is included, as well as specialty coffees, milkshakes, bottled water, etc. 

• Like 1

There are no reservations for shows on most ships.  First come. first served

On you planner on the Carnival app

Yes, Carnival Hub

Yes, Just off Sunshine and Fun Times was still delivered to our cabin each evening

• Thanks 1