Manhattan Pier to LGA

cruisin4family

I'm hearing that LGA is not the best airport to use; however, it was $400.00 cheaper than EWR.

The ship docks at 7:00 am and our flight doesn't depart until 1:29 at LGA, so we have plenty of time to get there but not really enough time to do anything else.

I would like to do public transportation. Could you give me specific details on how to get there (walk off the pier to a train or bus??)

THANKS bunches!!  I KNOW this might sound crazy to some of you, but I would just like the experience of doing the public transportation.

16 hours ago, cruisin4family said:

I'm hearing that LGA is not the best airport to use; however, it was $400.00 cheaper than EWR.

The ship docks at 7:00 am and our flight doesn't depart until 1:29 at LGA, so we have plenty of time to get there but not really enough time to do anything else.

I would like to do public transportation. Could you give me specific details on how to get there (walk off the pier to a train or bus??)

THANKS bunches!!  I KNOW this might sound crazy to some of you, but I would just like the experience of doing the public transportation.

LGA isn't the horror show it used to be. Terminal B which serves AA and several other airlines underwent a massive renovation and is considered state of the art. Terminal C which is Delta's terminal is also undergoing renovations that are supposed to be completed by year's end.

You want to take the E subway line from the 50th St and 8th Ave station to the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave station and there transfer to the Q 70 bus, which will take you to LGA.

The 8th Ave & 50th St subway station is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the cruise terminal. If you don't want to walk that distance you can take the M 50 bus from either of 2 stops that are directly across the street from the cruise terminal at 12th Ave and 48th St or 12th Ave and 50th St. to the subway station at 8th Ave and 50th St. If your ship docks at Pier 88 the 48th St bus stop will be closest. If the ship docks at Pier 90 the 50th St. stop is closest. (Hint: the pier numbers are the cross street numbers plus 40 ).

While the special  Q 70 bus will be luggage-friendly as its purpose is to serve passengers going to and from LGA, neither the regular MTA buses such as the M 50 nor the subway system are designed to be particularly welcoming to those traveling with a substantial amount of luggage. If they're crowded they can be outright difficult to navigate. If you're traveling light you should be OK but if you're dragging a lot of luggage you may want to reconsider your plans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

You want to take the E subway line from the 50th St and 8th Ave station to the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave station and there transfer to the Q 70 bus, which will take you to LGA.

The 8th Ave & 50th St subway station is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the cruise terminal. If you don't want to walk that distance you can take the M 50 bus from either of 2 stops that are directly across the street from the cruise terminal at 12th Ave and 48th St or 12th Ave and 50th St. to the subway station at 8th Ave and 50th St. If your ship docks at Pier 88 the 48th St bus stop will be closest. If the ship docks at Pier 90 the 50th St. stop is closest. (Hint: the pier numbers are the cross street numbers plus 40 ).

While the special  Q 70 bus will be luggage-friendly as its purpose is to serve passengers going to and from LGA, neither the regular MTA buses such as the M 50 nor the subway system are designed to be particularly welcoming to those traveling with a substantial amount of luggage.

Excellent directions. A few additional notes.

The 50th subway station is effectively two separate stations: one for going uptown, and another for going downtown. You will want to make certain to enter ONLY the "uptown" station (the uptown and downtown stations are NOT connected to each other), which is accessible from the east side of Eighth Avenue. The correct entrances are (1) a stairway on the northeast corner of Eighth Avenue and West 50th Street marked "East side & Queens," or (2) a stairway on the southeast corner of Eighth Avenue and West 50th Street marked "Uptown & Queens only." Here you will find the "E" train to Jamaica on the lower-most level (the intermediate level is for the "C" train, which you do not want).

Once at the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue station, note that the connecting Q70 bus, to termini B and C, is free, so need to worry about transfers. However, should you be destined for terminal A at LaGuardia Airport (also known as the "Marine Air Terminal"), serving Frontier Airlines and Spirit Airlines, then do not board the Q70 bus. Instead, board the Q47 bus towards the Marine Air Terminal. There is a fare charged on this bus, but you would have a free transfer to the bus from the subway . . . provided that you did not already use up the free transfer by riding the M50 bus from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal to Eighth Avenue. Note that if an error is made, the Port Authority provides free bus service connecting termini A, B, and C.

The Q70 bus has interior baggage racks; most other bus routes and the subway do not have luggage racks, but you can easily keep your baggage on the floor or under a seat.