Does Train Service make Orlando and West Palm Beach Gateway Airports for Ft Lauderdale and Miami Cruises?

SelectSys

The recent opening of Brightline rail service to MCO enables new options for people boarding South Florida cruises from Miami and Ft Lauderdale:  https://www.gobrightline.com/.  I  believe the addition of Brightline may provide a viable option to consider when cruising from South Florida.  From where I live, the flights to MCO are usually cheaper than going to MIA for non-stop service.  The only disappointment for me as a cruiser is that Brightline didn't build a station enabling ready access to Port Canaveral.  This seemed like such an obvious stopping point - at least to me.

In addition to Brightline, Tri Rail offers service between MIA and West Palm Beach (actually Brightline serves West Palm Beach too) as another alternative.  I have used Tri Rail in the past when visiting friends in Florida to keep them from needing to dive either to MIA or FLL.  It really isn't too bad a service from my perspective and would consider using it in conjunction with a cruise as well.

Really?

Let's take the price of the tickets.  The cheapest from MCO to FLL are $79.  But for those cheap tickets, add on another $25 for a single checked bag.  Then add in the costs to/from the train stations.  Plus another 3 hours added into your travel day.  Three and a half to Miami.

Is that really a better option than either FLL or MIA?

9 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The only disappointment for me as a cruiser is that Brightline didn't build a station enabling ready access to Port Canaveral.  This seemed like such an obvious stopping point - at least to me.

I suspect that cruise passengers to/from Port Canaveral are probably only a tiny proportion of the potential market, so that there's no commercial case for a station there.

The company's approach to baggage also seems odd, for a new service that could presumably have been designed from scratch, adopting lessons from successful railways elsewhere in the world. It's almost a lesson in how to deter people from using you.

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

add on another $25 for a single checked bag

I think that checked baggage really isn't necessary for many considering that the "carry on"  dimensions and weight limits for Brightline are very generous.  

https://www.gobrightline.com/terms-of-service#baggage

Plus another 3 hours added into your travel day

The time difference also depends on whether or not I have an additional flight connection or not.  It can also depends on the time when flights depart from your home city and arrive in FL  For example from my home airport of San Diego, the only "red eye" nonstop flight to Florida on one of my preferred carriers is Alaska to MCO.  The FLL and MIA flights on AS and AA are during the day which wastes even more time from my perspective.

The cheapest from MCO to FLL are $79

It also depends on the fare difference to fly into MIA. If I fly into FLL for a Miami cruise, I might pay this amount for a taxi/Uber depending on the time of day.  

Bottom Line - I never said it works every time, only that it adds new options for some situations.

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I suspect that cruise passengers to/from Port Canaveral are probably only a tiny proportion of the potential market, so that there's no commercial case for a station there

I think you are probably right.  Perhaps it will be a station in the future.  The future expansion is also planned to go west to Tampa which will also add another cruise option for MCO flights.

The company's approach to baggage also seems odd,

Maybe.  In looking at the policy, you really only need to check oversized or overweight bags.  Most normal bags - even those checked in on planes - can be brought on board.

It's almost a lesson in how to deter people from using you

We will see.  I also think that if the baggage policy isn't correct, Brightline obviously can tailor their offering based on "lessons learned."

At least Brightline completed their planned project..  My home state of CA has given academics plenty of fodder to discuss how train projects can really "go off the rails" by spending billions for nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The time difference also depends on whether or not I have an additional flight connection or not.  It can also depends on the time when flights depart from your home city and arrive in FL  For example from my home airport of San Diego, the only "red eye" nonstop flight to Florida on one of my preferred carriers is Alaska to MCO.  The FLL and MIA flights on AS and AA are during the day which wastes even more time from my perspective.

Interesting, AA has  had a red eye from San Diego to Miami for years, yet for some reason it's off the schedule from Nov 5th-Dec 20th.  I personally find coast to coast red eyes brutal if you don't have a room to check in as soon as you arrive. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TYCruise said:

Interesting, AA has  had a red eye from San Diego to Miami for years

Yes, I have been on that flight before.  On my first search, I simply pulled google flights to see what showed up which didn't include that flight and only a daytime departure which might provide better connecting service to points east and south on AA.  I just went back and can see that the San Diego "red eye" exists in January but is more than twice the price of AS flight to MCO.    

46 minutes ago, TYCruise said:

I personally find coast to coast red eyes brutal if you don't have a room to check in as soon as you arrive

I learned how to adapt to these flights working as a consultant many years ago.  Again, what works for you may be different than what works for me as we all have our own physiology which probably influences our preferences.

Again, I never made the claim that Brightline is the answer for every situation but does add something new to Florida travel that can possibly benefit cruisers.  I will think it might even be more valuable for cruising when the planned extension to Tampa is made.

The carry on bags are limited to 40 pounds versus 50 pounds like all airlines I know. That means if you want to go with just one suitcase, you must check it, thereby eliminating one big advantage of train travel. They also hide the luggage policy but took me 8 minutes of diligent searching with Google to find it, and I know what I am doing. The train does look lovely, though. I will say, as a fairly frequent user of Amtrak, those fares are outrageous compared to market prices for current train travel. It costs me $18-$30 now to take the train from Springfield to NYC with 2 bags weighing 50 pounds (and sometimes more,as I am flying business and going on a long trip, not allowed, but I tip well), and $79 for a shorter ride with checked luggage fees is triple the cost. We will see if the market thinks this is justifiable. I doubt it as most Americans aren't fond of public transportation, which is a shame.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:18 PM, SelectSys said:

I think that checked baggage really isn't necessary for many considering that the "carry on"  dimensions and weight limits for Brightline are very generous.  

https://www.gobrightline.com/terms-of-service#baggage

It also depends on the fare difference to fly into MIA. If I fly into FLL for a Miami cruise, I might pay this amount for a taxi/Uber depending on the time of day.  

Bottom Line - I never said it works every time, only that it adds new options for some situations.

I think you are probably right.  Perhaps it will be a station in the future.  The future expansion is also planned to go west to Tampa which will also add another cruise option for MCO flights.

Maybe.  In looking at the policy, you really only need to check oversized or overweight bags.  Most normal bags - even those checked in on planes - can be brought on board.

We will see.  I also think that if the baggage policy isn't correct, Brightline obviously can tailor their offering based on "lessons learned."

At least Brightline completed their planned project..  My home state of CA has given academics plenty of fodder to discuss how train projects can really "go off the rails" by spending billions for nothing.

Brightline has bought some property(clearlake drive) in Cocoa. This may be where the station will go. Its still about 8 miles to Port Canaveral. A Port Canaveral spur will not happen. Too costly to cross the Banana and Indian Rivers for the demand.

24 minutes ago, daytona said:

Brightline has bought some property(clearlake drive) in Cocoa. This may be where the station will go. Its still about 8 miles to Port Canaveral. A Port Canaveral spur will not happen. Too costly to cross the Banana and Indian Rivers for the demand.

Thanks for the information!  I wouldn't expect a spur, but an 8 mile journey via cab, ride share or bus to the terminal makes lots of sense.