Information please on whether NCL allows overnight stays off ship?

SashaCanadk

Hello,

Our cruise has 2 stops in Egypt - Alexandria for one day, departing in the evening and then Port Said the next day, again departing in the evening. In order to save 6 hours travelling back and forth to the cruise ship, we have booked a private tour with a company that will pick us up at Alexandria, tour us around, arrange a hotel, and then the next day return us to Port Said. We are travelling with another couple who called NCL asking if this was permitted. (When I had first booked it, they had said that as long as we let guest services know before hand it is fine). My friend was told that this is not permitted. Can anyone clarify this for us? Looking on cruise critic and other sights, it seems possible.

Thank you for your helpl.

S

• Like 1

As you (and I assume your friend) are Canadians, you will need a visa to actually enter Egypt.  Cruise passengers get a "transit" visa for the port calls, but because you will be spending an overnight, and travelling from one city to another, you will be actually entering the country, and will need a visa.  Your tour operator should have told you this.  When is your cruise?  Apparently, after Oct 1st, Canadians can no longer apply for the visa online, but must go to a consulate or embassy.  If the time you are spending off the ship is less than 48 hours, you need an "in transit visa", but if you are off the ship more than 48 hours, you need a "tourist visa".

https://www.egyptvisaspro.com/visa-requirements/canadian-citizens#:~:text=Egypt Visa for Canadian Citizens,valid until their expiration date.

• Like 2

The next task is just hoping the ship makes the second port call.  No port is 100% guaranteed - there could be an accident in the port that closes it for the day, high winds could kick up causing the crew to decide not to dock or some other reason like a mechanical issue with the ship that makes it unsafe to dock until it's resolved.  It's a risk you take when doing that..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hallux said:

The next task is just hoping the ship makes the second port call.  No port is 100% guaranteed - there could be an accident in the port that closes it for the day, high winds could kick up causing the crew to decide not to dock or some other reason like a mechanical issue with the ship that makes it unsafe to dock until it's resolved.  It's a risk you take when doing that..

Agree! The only time I might not return to the ship is if the ship is in the same port overnight, like Bermuda.

I wouldn’t chance this

• Like 3

1 minute ago, njkate said:

Agree! The only time I might not return to the ship is if the ship is in the same port overnight, like Bermuda.

I wouldn’t chance this

I 2nd this. Too many things could go wrong, in my opinion. If anything happens and you're delayed or the ship doesn't dock where it's supposed to, the responsibility to rejoin the ship would be 100% on OP. I wouldn't chance this, either.

• Like 1

I know in the past some ships offered tours similar to what you're describing.  If the ship has a similar shore excursion, I would try to book that.  In this situation, I think the peace of mind booking the ship's tour is worth it.

Otherwise I probably wouldn't chance it.

We have spent the night ashore when the ship was over night in Bangkok, but for picking up the ship at another port I wouldn't do it. A land tour / Nile cruise might be a better alternative if you want an immersive Egypt experience.

• Like 1