Room stewards remembering our name

Gunther1

Lots of different tricks out there to do that. Plenty of occupations are in a similar situation of having to remember names quickly.  Teachers are the prime example. Sound games, alliteration games, word association games are a few of the tricks.  Also some people have good memories (my husband is not one of those and he is impressed by people who can remember names at all)

They do get a list beforehand. I’m more impressed with how quickly our attendants can do the switch in that husbands legal name is on his docs but he goes by middle name (he’s a jr) 

Edited by Shalandara
Fixing typo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Shalandara said:

Lots of different tricks out there to do that. Plenty of occupations are in a similar situation of having to remember names quickly.  Teachers are the prime example. Sound games, alliteration games, word association games are a few of the tricks.  Also some people have good memories (my husband is not one of those and he is impressed by people who can remember names at all)

They do get a list beforehand. I’m more impressed with how quickly our attendants can do the switch in that husbands legal name is on his docs but he goes by middle name (he’s a jr) 

Years ago it was more of a marvel but today they have pictures facial recognition near field and a host of other tricks. Restaurants, hotels and other venues use this.  It is nice but I do applaud them for using it.  

• Like 2

What was amazing to us was a cabin steward remembering not only our names but our former cabin number on a cruise that was four months later on the same ship (we had gone from port to starboard and met him in the hall one day on the second cruise!).

• Like 2

On the last night of our cruise, I did a through search for anything that might have been missed or left behind.  Discovered under the couch cushions was not only the sheets to be used for the next occupants, but also paperwork showing their names and other info.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I remember in the early days of cruising, that our cabin steward seemed like a ninja.  Every time we left our cabin & came back our cabin had been tidied up.  They are not able to do this any more- too many cabins to tidy.. but we are still amazed at how good they are at their jobs.  And it seems like they truly enjoy doing it.

• Like 9

On 10/1/2023 at 3:28 PM, HamOp said:

On the last night of our cruise, I did a through search for anything that might have been missed or left behind.  Discovered under the couch cushions was not only the sheets to be used for the next occupants, but also paperwork showing their names and other info.

During our Alaska cruise I was disappointed to discover on the day before disembarkation that the linens and personal bath products for the people boarding after us were in our cabin.  Wasn't expecting that with COVID on the ship.  Your post will now prompt me to do an even more thorough search than I normally do.

On 10/1/2023 at 7:43 AM, Gunther1 said:

I am always in awe of how the room stewards can remember our name.

Considering the number of rooms assigned to them and the constant guest turnover, it's miraculous.

Any thoughts on their trick ?

I am in awe a an ocean bar waiter who remembered our names on a different cruise a couple of years later.

• Like 2

My husband and I sailed a cruise (his first time on HAL) back in '92. 
Two years later we boarded a different HAL ship, headed from the forward elevator toward the Lido Bar area, when we heard a bar steward call out "Norm! Ruth! The usual?" 

He had the names and the drinks right. I have no idea how they do it. 

• Like 3

We had a terrific hostess in the Canaletto on the Zuiderdam that transformed our experience so much there that we ate there 4 times in the month were onboard.  A year later we were on the Westerdam and she greeted me by name in the MDR and after dinner I asked her how she remembered my name.  Her response, "Don't you remember the Canaletto on the Zuiderdam?"  She was terrific once again.

• Like 2

We ran into a bar waiter that we had on our Circle Hawaii cruise while on a Mediterranean cruise one or two years later. He definitely remembered us but when asked how he did it, he responded that he remembered us by our drinks! We enjoy drinking a "Brooklyn."