Thrifted clothing to wear …

rtdiva

Living close to the port in SFO for an upcoming cruise, Ive the opportunity to pack all I want for three months onboard. In general I use “a capsule wardrobe” to limit luggage handling. Originally my goal was to emulate another cruisers basic wardrobe with only a few accessories to add interest.  Our cruise ends in England, where we fly back to the states. 
What’s your thoughts on buying thrifted clothes or wearing clothes no longer loved, leaving them in a port or taxi or donate in an other country?  

2 hours ago, rtdiva said:

Living close to the port in SFO for an upcoming cruise, Ive the opportunity to pack all I want for three months onboard. In general I use “a capsule wardrobe” to limit luggage handling. Originally my goal was to emulate another cruisers basic wardrobe with only a few accessories to add interest.  Our cruise ends in England, where we fly back to the states. 
What’s your thoughts on buying thrifted clothes or wearing clothes no longer loved, leaving them in a port or taxi or donate in an other country?  

Sounds like they are both great ideas.

• Like 1

I think you need to properly donate them. Donate them if you can clean them first and they are otherwise in wearable condition. Take them to a proper donation place and don’t leave them where they may be work for someone else to deal with, otherwise they will likely end up in the trash. I don’t mean to sound negative in my bluntness but having known people who deal with donations, many donations can feel like people discarding a problem and not actually giving a blessing. So please read my response in the matter of fastness that I intend. It’s a brilliant idea for dealing with baggage for an international flight home.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

when  I was on river cruise (so not sure if this would work for ocean cruises where there are so many more people) the cruise director mentioned this - people deciding not to take some old item of clothing home so more would fit in luggage, please let us know.

whether they then donate them or bin them I don't know, you could ask - but at least they know not to try to contact you or wait for you to contact them,  thinking it was left by mistake.

But I agree with Anita - don't just leave them in taxis or random places in ports - that would just clog up their lost property, not knowing if you would later claim it.

if you are going to donate them, needs to be donated to a thrift shop there or a charity that you know wants them. Would have to do some research in advance to know how to do this in a foreign place.

• Like 3

Random thoughts: 

- For several reasons, I already buy the majority of my clothing second-hand.  

- I wouldn't want to purchase new things (even cheap things) that I wouldn't care enough to keep.  Nor would I want to vacation in clothes I no longer like (or are on their last legs).  

- Having said that, I could see taking my oldest pajamas and underwear -- things that I wouldn't care about for photographs, etc.  

- We once took part in a really dirty shore excursion (ATVs through a muddy area), and we ruined our clothes.  We all agreed that if we did such a thing again, we'd choose something old /discard it. 

- My uncle used to go on yearly mission trips to 3rd world countries.  He'd buy X number of shirts at Goodwill, then gift them to the men with whom he worked.  However, I'm not sure people with whom you come in contact during cruises would want such cast-offs.  

- I agree that if you're going to donate things, they need to be cleaned and donated to a proper charity (so no one's confused).  

• Like 2

Slightly different in UK to USA. If your cruise finishes in the UK in Southampton there are any number of charity (thrift) organisations that will gladly take your cast offs pre-loved or otherwise. If they aren't saleable in their shops they are sent for recycling generally for which the charity gets money so win win. Google charity shops Southampton for more info. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well said to all of you.

Conclusion: If I won’t wear the no longer loved clothes at home, why take them on a cruise and feel uncomfortable? 

At one port I watched a local worker go through the open bins of discards from the ship taking out clothing and other smaller goods. Thus my idea of leaving a bag of  clothing in a taxi or other place. 

I’m enjoying the search for thrift shop clothes, finding high quality pieces among the rest. Sadly, I dislike supporting a company who isn’t really a charity. In my area there are only two thrift places to shop. On that note; if I like it enough to buy it, it will stay in my closet. 

Hmmm…maybe I’ve not come to a conclusion. I don’t want to add to the landfill. The cruise is a World Cruise to many low income ports who may appreciate free items. I’ve a couple of months to figure it out. 

I generally don't keep clothes in my closet that I don't still wear regularly, so this idea has always been a little quirky to me, although I guess I see the appeal.

Please don't just randomly leave your discarded items in a taxi or other place for somebody else to clean up after. I've seen time and time again people use donation centers as an excuse to dump stuff they feel 'guilty' about throwing away, and that just means somebody else has to do it for you.

You could research the ports and find actual charitable organizations that would welcome donations. For instance, when DH and I went to a Sandals resort, they have a program where they accept donated school supplies for the local schools on the islands.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 2:54 PM, no1racefan1 said:

I generally don't keep clothes in my closet that I don't still wear regularly, so this idea has always been a little quirky to me, although I guess I see the appeal.

I did a variation on @rtdiva's idea, back in 2015 for our first TransAtlantic and so-far longest cruise at 26 days (plus travel each end). I used eBay as my thrift-store and bought a number of articles to make up my capsule wardrobe. Here is a representative diagram of my packing (the actual patterns of the shirts are not all exact):

Getting packed.JPG

Continuation: I did not leave any garments behind (and I was perfectly happy with all items I took, and wore them all except swimsuit, not shown). HOWEVER. all or most of the clothes, shirts especially, are still folded in a plastic tub some eight years later, having been moved 750mi. three years ago.

I now pack two tops for every bottom and don't worry about everything going together. I take clothing I would be wearing anyway! No more VACATION-WEAR for me.

• Like 5

Well, yeah, I feel guilty about throwing anything away someone else could use. As a child of the sixties, conservation was not a fad but a lifestyle.

The clothes that would be discarded would not be suited for the trash. I do have a quirky style as I’m an artist with a quirky mind. Thus I’ll find a thrift shop as most of you have suggested, to donate too.

While I attend many social events, we live in a small community where evening clothes are seldom worn. On Cunard dress for dinners requires more than jeans and a tee shirt. Thus I have cruise clothing worn only for cruises and occasionally other events, plus as an older person who likes fashion, I like choices and the challenge of experimenting with clothing. That said in todays world it’s considered fashionable to wear a bejeweled sweater with jeans. 

Im understanding and appreciate this conversation. Such a non issue in the bigger scheme of today’s events.

• Like 2

I happily wear second hand or new clothing. On cruises I wear my most comfortable (comforting?) clothing.  I only use thrift shops during travel to buy clothing for unexpectedly cool or warm weather and it is my first go-to if needed.  

My last stand for clothing is the garden not on travels.  Perhaps this is really an issue of how long some of us tolerate clothing.  I can’t imagine wearing my last stand clothes being used outside of the home and garden. 

Clothing I donate are clothes that “just didn’t work out” and I try to donate prior to cast off stage. 

all of that said I do ditch my tennis shoes on travels.  I walk and hike a lot and require new athletic shoes often.  My athletic shoe cast offs are usually in very good condition for street use.  I usually leave them in a hotel bin that does not contain any other garbage.  I assume the maids can decide if they are usable or not.  It truly depends on where you are traveling.  In some areas casts offs would be welcome in others not so much. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:49 PM, crystalspin said:

back in 2015 for our first TransAtlantic and so-far longest cruise at 26 days (plus travel each end). I used eBay as my thrift-store and bought a number of articles to make up my capsule wardrobe. 

So I had a fine capsule wardrobe in coral/teal/black -- but to some extent I felt like I was wearing someone else's clothes! And this is despite the fact that I buy A LOT of permanent wardrobe items on eBay! 

• Like 2