Viking Included Airfare--When Can I Change Seats

PatriciaF

We received an email this morning to review our itinerary to check for errors and change seats.  However, when you click on the seats it says you can change them in the next steps.  There are no other steps.

I went to American Airlines webpage and it says we can change the seats once it is booked.

So--I was surprised to get the info this early as we are flying on 2/19/2024 and earlier communications had said we would know the flight info 75 days out.

First time using the included flights--so a bit confused.

Thank you for your help.

2 hours ago, PatriciaF said:

We received an email this morning to review our itinerary to check for errors and change seats.  However, when you click on the seats it says you can change them in the next steps.  There are no other steps.

I went to American Airlines webpage and it says we can change the seats once it is booked.

So--I was surprised to get the info this early as we are flying on 2/19/2024 and earlier communications had said we would know the flight info 75 days out.

Thank you for your help.

I don’t think there is a set time for anything with Viking Air+. We talked with them 330+ days out with “suggestions” of flights/seats we wanted, and discovered the next day those flights and seats were booked on thenDelta website (on Delta/KLM). Refundable tickets, so no sleepless nights over “what ifs” and we will see what changes in the next 7+ months.

3 hours ago, PatriciaF said:

Thank you for your help.

My understanding is once the itinerary is actually ticketed and you get a ticket number, then you can choose seats.  Any assigned seats prior to ticketing are requested seats and could change.

• Like 2

I had this same issue on Lufthansa flights for our river cruise in 2 days; I had to wait a while, then was finally able to upgrade seats on Lufthansa's site.

My advice would be to check back with American from time to time, or call Viking Air; I doubt they'll be able to assist, but it's always worth a try.

A side note: We went to Italy in May, and I upgraded seats on the legs of our flights there and back. In the last couple of weeks, I got refunds for all of them... don't know why, but was happy to accept the money.

21 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

My understanding is once the itinerary is actually ticketed and you get a ticket number, then you can choose seats.  Any assigned seats prior to ticketing are requested seats and could change.

And any seats assigned after ticketing are also requests and could change.

Airline seating is not like a sporting event or theater where you get a specific seat at purchase.  All are subject to change.

Read the terms and conditions and you will see no recourse for a change by the carrier.

32 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yes, based on the response from American when I entered our Airline Booking #, I believe that is the case.

I can't believe there is a problem changing within the same seat class even if Viking paid for the ticket.  Upgrading--yes, that I have to go back to Viking.

We are in economy to Miami, premium economy from Miami to Buenos Aires.  We were in business class last year American DFW to Buenos Aires, food inedible, wine undrinkable (and flight attendant would not show label on wine bottle).  So other than no lay flat seat, I will not be missing American business class.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

They also remind you that any assigned seats after ticketing can change as well!

5 hours ago, PatriciaF said:

Thank you for your help.

Let me try to be helpful.

When you go to the "Manage my Air" in My Viking Journey, you view your Air Booking. From here you can preview your seats.  If you wish to change your seats, then you must click the tab "change seats" which is below the "Air Booking" and "Preferences" tab.  From here you can select or change your seats.

It is true what was said above.  Your seats can change or disappear completely before ticketing.  On one trip with Air France, my seats disappeared 14 times.  At about 75 days, your air is ticketed.

All that means is that you have to review MVJ on occasion.

I have not flown AA thru Viking, but with every other airline, I have been able to view my reservation using the "booking reference number" on the airlines web-site.  And I believe I might have changed my seats on the airlines web-site once or twice.

Thank you all for the insight on this process.  I will check as soon as this is ticketed--and move seats--if there are still seats available to move to.  We have bulk head seats--which for me is a problem.  I want my backpack with my "entertainment" kindle, iPad, headphones, etc., with me, not moving them up and down as we have to do.  I am short and usually use it as a foot rest too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Let me try to be helpful.

When you go to the "Manage my Air" in My Viking Journey, you view your Air Booking. From here you can preview your seats.  If you wish to change your seats, then you must click the tab "change seats" which is below the "Air Booking" and "Preferences" tab.  From here you can select or change your seats.

It is true what was said above.  Your seats can change or disappear completely before ticketing.  On one trip with Air France, my seats disappeared 14 times.  At about 75 days, your air is ticketed.

All that means is that you have to review MVJ on occasion.

I have not flown AA thru Viking, but with every other airline, I have been able to view my reservation using the "booking reference number" on the airlines web-site.  And I believe I might have changed my seats on the airlines web-site once or twice.

Hey MikeyB, you were on the 2021 TA from Barcelona to SJ, right?  At one point on another thread you asked if I ever heard from Bob after the cruise?  I haven't but still bring that little "basket" his crafty wife made and gave to a lot of folks on the roll call.  Only couple we keep in touch with are CCWineLover.

Edited by TayanaLorna

1 hour ago, molymoo said:

They also remind you that any assigned seats after ticketing can change as well!

I know it can happen but out of 50 years flying I have never had a seat assignment change when I made it directly with the airline.   Guess my time is due.

Edited by TayanaLorna

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hey MikeyB, you were on the 2021 TA from Barcelona to SJ, right?  At one point on another thread you asked if I ever heard from Bob after the cruise?  I haven't but still bring that little "basket" his crafty wife made and gave to a lot of folks on the roll call.  Only couple we keep in touch with are CCWineLover.

Yes!

Bob was amazing.. Kept that roll call very active.  I did ask about him.  Later I saw on line that he was taking two BtB Viking river cruises.  He gave me one of those Viking "baskets" on the last day of the sailing.  I also take it with me on the Viking cruises.  Sort of my good luck charm.

On a personal note, I'm sorry I didn't connect with you on board.  I kept a very low profile.  It was only very late in the cruise that I spoke to Bob.

My flight itinerary was available on AA app long before V sent it to me.  Have made seat changes several times ( moved up in cabin) on MVJ, once itin. showed up.  Very easy.  Usually results in an email itin change from V (fwd from TA.)

Keep checking, as seats do open up.  Not all changes cost extra.

Flight itin has changed 3 times since originally received.  AA to DL on outbound flight (to board cruise), and time changes, flight #s on all flights.  

We are about 3 months out, and not ticketed yet.  On AA app, cannot change seats until ticketed.  On DL app, can change seats, moving up in cabin costs extra.

I've only used Viking Air once, but in that case it was as has been described: we could find our booking using the 6 character reservation code on the Airline site, but it wasn't until around 55-60 days that it was actually ticketed - meaning Viking paid the airline for it. At that point I could make changes to the seat, and even upgrade directly with the airline.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Yes!

Bob was amazing.. Kept that roll call very active.  I did ask about him.  Later I saw on line that he was taking two BtB Viking river cruises.  He gave me one of those Viking "baskets" on the last day of the sailing.  I also take it with me on the Viking cruises.  Sort of my good luck charm.

On a personal note, I'm sorry I didn't connect with you on board.  I kept a very low profile.  It was only very late in the cruise that I spoke to Bob.

Word was you wished to keep a low profile so i did not seek you out.  Bob was very good about connecting with others from our RC but, with the Viking Covid ban on folks gathering in groups, we never played the games Bob had planned.

16 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I know it can happen but out of 50 years flying I have never had a seat assignment change when I made it directly with the airline.   Guess my time is due.

Timely -- I have a flight on United scheduled for later today out of ORD.  I just received notification from them this morning that they have changed aircraft for the scheduled flight, and due to the new equipment and different configuration, my seating assignment has also changed.  It can happen, and at times (like for me, now) it does.

17 hours ago, MikeyB said:

... but with every other airline, I have been able to view my reservation using the "booking reference number" on the airlines web-site.  And I believe I might have changed my seats on the airlines web-site once or twice.

I've done that too, but my success in upgrading seats has been spotty. We're leaving tomorrow for the Grand European River Cruise, flying on Lufthansa; I had to go to their site a few times before I was able to secure better seats, but I was ultimately successful.

32 minutes ago, Cruising Domer said:

Timely -- I have a flight on United scheduled for later today out of ORD.  I just received notification from them this morning that they have changed aircraft for the scheduled flight, and due to the new equipment and different configuration, my seating assignment has also changed.  It can happen, and at times (like for me, now) it does.

Yes, i would expect a seat change with an aircraft change.

We've had seats assigned by Viking. Then they disappear and can't be selected. Called Air Plus and had them assigned. A day or two later they disappear again. Called and called and was told seats are controlled by the airline unless you want to pay for reserved seats. Sounds like a bait and switch scam. We will never use Viking for air ever again. Beyond frustrated and haven't even started the trip. This gives Viking a big black eye.

26 minutes ago, BoredWok said:

We've had seats assigned by Viking. Then they disappear and can't be selected. Called Air Plus and had them assigned. A day or two later they disappear again. Called and called and was told seats are controlled by the airline unless you want to pay for reserved seats. Sounds like a bait and switch scam. We will never use Viking for air ever again. Beyond frustrated and haven't even started the trip. This gives Viking a big black eye.

Many carriers charge fees for advanced reserved seats. It’s just a fact of air travel these days. This isn’t just a Viking issue. Some of my legs on regional carriers required payment, some transatlantic (British Air) required it, whether it was via Viking or when traveling independently.

• Like 1

BoredWok, if your flights have been ticketed, you might confirm seats with the airline, maybe for a fee as stated above. The airline will clearly state that seats are not guaranteed and can be changed by them… whenever! 😐

We have independently booked flights for our cruise next week. A few days ago I learned our flight home was cancelled, so I scrambled with airline messaging to get an acceptable option. Of course now we must take whatever seats are assigned on the new flight. Such are the air travel adventures of today! 

But if they offer seat seat selection it leads you to believe that you will get what you select. If they know that they have no power to actually supply you with those seats, there should not be any seat selection offered. Just state that you have to select through the air carrier.

56 minutes ago, BoredWok said:

But if they offer seat seat selection it leads you to believe that you will get what you select. If they know that they have no power to actually supply you with those seats, there should not be any seat selection offered. Just state that you have to select through the air carrier.

Odds are much better than not that you’ll get the selected or assigned seats. Stuff happens that can change that - usually changes in aircraft. As stated throughout CC, air problems are more common these days. If you truly feel Viking is guilty of bait and switch, there’s nothing else the regular posters here can say.

• Like 2