Comparing Regent to Paul Gauguin (PG) & Windstar for a Tahiti Cruise

pappy1022

I am looking into a French Polynesian (FP) cruise in 2024 or 2025 and I am leaning toward one of the smaller ships that stay in FP year round and can get to areas the bigger ships can’t. I would normally go to Regent as my first choice but their itineraries don’t match up to the offerings from PG and Windstar. For those of you who have done both Regent and either PG or Windstar could you please give me a sense of the major differences and help me set my expectations? I know neither of these cruise lines will match up to the standards that Regent has delivered but in this case I am all about the destination and the experiences for this once in a lifetime journey. We are not picky people but Regent has sure set a bar that I don’t expect to be matched by either PG or Windstar. Thank you in advance.

There is a pretty good episode on the show Mighty Cruise Ships from Season one on the Paul Gaugin if you can find it via on demand.  Also there used to be a show called Dream Cruises (if you can find that). They also did an episode on the Paul Gaughin as well as Windstar.  They'll give you a pretty good idea of the cruises. Although they are a number of years old, it's a place to start and they are pretty good shows. 

• Thanks 1

We celebrated our 50th anniversary on the PG a few years ago.  I had not yet sailed on Regent so at the time, had no reference to compare.  Our experience on G was spectacular. There were under 150 guests onboard.  Like Regent, it was all inclusive, service was great, loved the crew.  No experience with Windstar but don't think you could go wrong with either PG or Regent.

• Thanks 1

Another fan of PG.  Low passenger load, beautiful ship, excellent crew.  PG is the established game in the area and has priority access in many locations.  Locally sourced seafood on PG.  A huge Moonfish delivered to the ship and prepped on deck by the chef was the best seafood dish we have ever had anywhere.  And we lived on the Gulf Coast for 35 years so have had some goodies.  The only downer was the included air on Air Tahiti Nui.  Worst flight ever.  Would never, never, never fly ATN again.  This would force flying in a couple of days early on Hawaiian and booking  a stay.  So for us logistics have precluded a return to PG.

We have done both Regent and PG. PG is a little older but still well maintained. The service, food and itinerary can't be beat. Waking up and seeing the peak on Bora Bora was magical. Two things about PG which we found detracted from the overall excellence were the lack of shade on the pool deck and the entertainment. Although the Gaugines were excellent they needed other acts to fill the seven nights.

Still I agree, the PG sets the bar for FP 

• Like 3

We have had the great fortune to sail on the PG 5 times...the Society islands, the Marquesas and the Cook islands. In those years the ship was operated by Radisson, which is now Regent. They were amazing voyages!

We had our 6th PG trip booked and paid for, scheduled for departure in March 2020. Unbeknownst to us, in the in the months after we booked, the ship had been sold to Ponant, which was a company we knew nothing about. Obviously our cruise was cancelled by Ponant because of covid restrictions, yet they refused ANYTHING but a FCC. We had terrible TA at that time who would not advocate for us, lest he damage his relationship with the company. We did not want a FCC since we'd already done their "regular itineraries" several times and the canceled cruise was an unusual one, going to Fiji. But still they refused. It was a LARGE sum. Eventually we had no choice but to file a chargeback with our credit card company. They retrieved all of our money. Every dime. And we were left with a very very bad opinion of Ponant, which still owns and operates the PG.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Another fan of PG.  Low passenger load, beautiful ship, excellent crew.  PG is the established game in the area and has priority access in many locations.  Locally sourced seafood on PG.  A huge Moonfish delivered to the ship and prepped on deck by the chef was the best seafood dish we have ever had anywhere.  And we lived on the Gulf Coast for 35 years so have had some goodies.  The only downer was the included air on Air Tahiti Nui.  Worst flight ever.  Would never, never, never fly ATN again.  This would force flying in a couple of days early on Hawaiian and booking  a stay.  So for us logistics have precluded a return to PG.

can fly air France from LAX

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

can fly air France from LAX

AF IMHOP has a better BC layout with direct aisle access.   And the best part is you don't have to fly to CDG

Diagram updated 11 Aug 2023
Business Class

40 Safran Cirrus II seats configured as four seat pairs. Each seat has direct access to the aisle and featured a retractable bi-folding table, and secure stowage for small personal items

The seats are 20" wide and convert to a 6'-7" flat bed
16" HD touchscreen display
Universal AC and two USB-A sockets

image.thumb.png.f2596201173168630d9cfe09564181bd.png

ATN Poerava Business
Thirty Collins Diamond Parallel seats configured 2-2-2
The seats are 20" wide and convert to a 78" flat bed
16" HD touch screen display
Universal AC and two USB-A sockets
Note: there are no overhead bins above seats 1DE and 2DEimage.thumb.png.4430126bf349ecc72c72acd3cb4c2bd1.png

• Like 1

I sailed French Polynesia on Windstar’s Wind Spirit. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience but it is very different from the Regent/PG experience. More casual and less inclusive with what they offer. And there are no cabins with verandas.  The Wind Spirit does not have any elevators so if stairs are an issue for someone then Wind Spirit would definitely not be for them. 

We have sailed the PG many times.  Every itinerary including Fiji. Our most recent was after Ponant took them over.  Same wonderful crew.  Same lovely small ship.  Wonderful Gauguins and Gauguines. Absolutely recommend them.  However we always take the air credit, so can't comment on that aspect.  We are very frequent Regent cruisers, so absolutely nothing against them.

3 hours ago, poolechick said:

And we were left with a very very bad opinion of Ponant, which still owns and operates the PG.

Alas, I followed all the threads of those who were "worked over" by Ponant when the pandemic was declared in 2020.  Very shabby business practices, and enough for us to say, reluctantly, "never again". 

Background: we've been on the PG four times while under Regent, 5 if you count a b2b as separate cruises.  Plus we were on her twice under the later ownership (Richard, uh, I forgot his name--owner of the Intercontinental in Papeete.)  So this ship had been our absolute favourite since the year 2000, and French Polynesia our top destination. So if you decided to go, do it, it'll be lovely, just make sure you look at the contract closely.  It's unlikely we'd make it there again at this point (75 & 80), but if we did, we'd have to choose Regent, since I don't think the Windstar sailing ships have elevators that extend to every deck. We still mourn the Paul Gauguin and cherish our time on her.

P.S. we almost always booked our own air. Oh, and their cabins are small.  Lovely little cabins, but small.  Worth it still.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 2

Wendy, I can’t recall the name of the company that owned the PG between Radisson/Regent and Ponant.  I guess we both are getting old!  We were not caught in the PG/Ponant mess of refund refusals, but read the accounts of many that were here on CC. We have cruised the PG numerous times (can’t remember exactly how many), and always had a great cruise. Notwithstanding this, we will never cruise on any ship owned by Ponant, including the PG — unless it is sold again. And I hope this happens, and soon.

But there may be an alternative that hasn’t been mentioned.  Windstar operates motor ships in French Polynesia  that are similar in size to the PG. I believe Windstar bought these two ships from Seaborne. These ships have cabins/suites larger than on the PG. Unlike Windstar’s ships with sails, these motor ships have elevators. They also have “cruise only” and “inclusive” fare structures that give price breaks, principally to those who don’t drink (not us).  I wish I knew more about this option. Never cruised it, and Windstar’s website leaves many questions unanswered. 

In 2014, we cruised the Regent Mariner with an itinerary starting in Tahiti, visiting several Society Islands, visiting Easter Island, and ending in Lima, Peru. I was a great cruise and itinerary. But the Society Island portion had some undefinable element missing, compared to the PG — and perhaps other small motor ships.

We did the Society Islands and Cook Islands on an R class ship & had a wonderful time. One of the most beautiful areas in the world.  In addition, we flew Air TAHITI  Nui and had a good flight from/to LA. 

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It's unlikely we'd make it there again at this point (75 & 80), but if we did, we'd have to choose Regent, since I don't think the Windstar sailing ships have elevators that extend to every deck. We still mourn the Paul Gauguin and cherish our time on her.

P.S. we almost always booked our own air. Oh, and their cabins are small.  Lovely little cabins, but small.  Worth it still.

Yes those cabins, even on deck 8 ARE small!

We're looking forward to finally sailing Tahitian waters again in January on the Regent Navigator, Sydney to Papeete. 🙂

• Like 1

For what it is worth, the three Windstar motor yachts to which I referred in post #15 above do have elevator access to all decks, according to their  deck plans. These are not sailing ships. They have no sails. They are small cruise ships like the PG. they are named Star Legend, Star Breeze, and Star Pride. I wouldn’t book on a ship lacking full elevator access now at my age of 80, but these ships appear to have very adequate elevator access, so I’m considering them. Also, I am wary of the room accommodations on those sailing ships, whereas the motor yachts have fairly spacious suites. So the Windstar motor yachts are worthy of my consideration. But when there is any doubt, Regent is my default choice. Always good.

These three ships were the original Seabourn "Little Sisters" and we really enjoyed them.  Not so much present day Carnival/Seabourn.  They have been stretched for additional passengers since then and have reduced crew with Windstar.  Just FYI.

1. Good info, Jim, and thanks. It brings up a related question. Twenty years ago, there was a site that listed the passenger/crew ratios on all cruise ships. That was good info, as it seemed  that a nearly equal ratio was one indicator of cruise quality. Problem is, I have forgotten the log in for that site. Does anybody know?

Aloha. ATN is a wonderful airline. Used to fly nonstop Papeete to NY 14 hours but a great experience. They no longer fly that route so we either fly from LAX or Hawaii either ATN or Hawaiian. PG is a great ship. No experience with Windstar but did sail Princess Hawaii to Tahiti and loved it.