Silver Dawn Excursion Group Sizes

whereswaugh

I am booked on the Silver Dawn Stockholm to Copenhagen Cruise for next year and have just gone through the selection of included excursions. Does anyone know how large each excursion group is? Some excursions have two identification numbers, but the same description ao I assume those mean two buses, but how big are the buses/how many people? Thanks in advance for your insight. AW

4 hours ago, whereswaugh said:

I am booked on the Silver Dawn Stockholm to Copenhagen Cruise for next year and have just gone through the selection of included excursions. Does anyone know how large each excursion group is? Some excursions have two identification numbers, but the same description ao I assume those mean two buses, but how big are the buses/how many people? Thanks in advance for your insight. AW

I have no specific experience, except that I am booked on a Norway cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen for next June. When the excursions first showed up, many had morning and afternoon options (thus 2 identification numbers). Since then, all of the excursions have moved to the exact start of the time in port. I don’t know whether these are the final times or not. 

Edited by gnome12

there is no definite number but the most crowded excursions have been 20 - 25 per bus.With popular excursions if they have enough on the waitlist they will open up another group at the same time. Mostly for excursions they feel will be popular and the whole day is in port they will have morning and afternoon excursions that are otherwise identical.

The lowest number on an included excursion with a full size bus was 9. Though Rojaan cancelled at the last minute due to pain issues. My guess is if less than 10 are booked the excursion is cancelled.

The real difference in excursions is the guide the contracted tour company supplies. We have had some superb guides and others who are next to useless. No way of predicting this unfortunately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I have no specific experience, except that I am booked on a Norway cruise from Oslo to Copenhagen for next June. When the excursions first showed up, many had morning and afternoon options (thus 2 identification numbers). Since then, all of the excursions have moved to the exact start of the time in port. I don’t know whether these are the final times or not. 

I've noticed that as well. Thank you

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

there is no definite number but the most crowded excursions have been 20 - 25 per bus.With popular excursions if they have enough on the waitlist they will open up another group at the same time. Mostly for excursions they feel will be popular and the whole day is in port they will have morning and afternoon excursions that are otherwise identical.

The lowest number on an included excursion with a full size bus was 9. Though Rojaan cancelled at the last minute due to pain issues. My guess is if less than 10 are booked the excursion is cancelled.

The real difference in excursions is the guide the contracted tour company supplies. We have had some superb guides and others who are next to useless. No way of predicting this unfortunately.

Thank you - those numbers don't seem too bad.

On Dawn right now - excursion sizes have generally been just as big as with Oceania and Viking, ie more often than not a full bus.  Even the ones we paid extra for. 

Overall this trip we’ve had fewer hits than misses with excursions.  Including one that might rank as the worst we’ve ever been on.  YMMV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spryder said:

On Dawn right now - excursion sizes have generally been just as big as with Oceania and Viking, ie more often than not a full bus.  Even the ones we paid extra for. 

Overall this trip we’ve had fewer hits than misses with excursions.  Including one that might rank as the worst we’ve ever been on.  YMMV.

Hi, are you going to tell us what happened?

• Like 1

Nothing crazy, they just delivered the absolute bare minimum experience in an extremely disorganized and inefficient manner.  Felt like it was thrown together with all of five minute’s planning.  We dropped out after 45 minutes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spryder said:

Wow sorry to hear that, especially with the ones you have paid additional for because are quite pricey on top of the pricey cruise fares.

2 hours ago, docmark said:

Our excursions experience in a recent Norway cruise was same as Spryder, DEFINITELY more misses than hits, very disappointing.

Hmmm, I'm seeing a trend here and I think I need to adjust my expectations for the Excursions. I did get the feeling when reading through them and making selections that a lot seemed to be a drive-by tour of sights. Now I'm thinking we will probably use the excursion as transportation into town from the port and at first opportunity break off to explore on our own,

1 hour ago, spryder said:

Nothing crazy, they just delivered the absolute bare minimum experience in an extremely disorganized and inefficient manner.  Felt like it was thrown together with all of five minute’s planning.  We dropped out after 45 minutes.

That seems to be the feeling I'm getting. Now thinking we will just use the excursion as transport into town and then just explore on our own.

3 hours ago, whereswaugh said:

That seems to be the feeling I'm getting. Now thinking we will just use the excursion as transport into town and then just explore on our own.

SS usually supply a shuttle to the town unless berthed in town.

• Like 1

It does of course depend on how many drive by excursions there are but SS I think does try to supply some of these (at least one at each port] so that elderly or disabled people get a chance.   I also think that Norway, particularly at this time of year does not lend itself to much else.  It’s scenery is basically what is on offer.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 8:48 AM, spryder said:

If this is the case, I would prefer to book Oceania. The rates are much cheaper, they give a small credit for excursions that can be used to book 2-3 small group tours, and the rest of the ports book private tours. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, whereswaugh said:

Hmmm, I'm seeing a trend here and I think I need to adjust my expectations for the Excursions. I did get the feeling when reading through them and making selections that a lot seemed to be a drive-by tour of sights. Now I'm thinking we will probably use the excursion as transportation into town from the port and at first opportunity break off to explore on our own,

My excursions when on Silver Dawn through Norwegian fjords in July or August were excellent,  Not too many people per bus, perhaps 24 or so.  Excellent guides.  The fjord cruise had more passengers, but there was more room to move around.  Guides were excellent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Port Power.  We were on Dawn fjord cruise Aug 12 - 27.  Excursions were fantastic, guides excellent (and we were blessed with great weather).  Some of the best planned and executed excursions we have taken, and did I mention that the guides were fantastic.  Don't lower your expectations based on a few unhappy experiences.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

My excursions when on Silver Dawn through Norwegian fjords in July or August were excellent,  Not too many people per bus, perhaps 24 or so.  Excellent guides.  The fjord cruise had more passengers, but there was more room to move around.  Guides were excellent.

I'm hopeful that will still be the case for my Norwegian cruise next June.

Getting off the Dawn tomorrow, Copenhagen rt.  Enjoyed the cruise, but very disappointed in the included excursions  and the excursions overall. The included excursions were much bigger groups than prior Dawn/Moon cruises. Buses were full or almost full. Did one hike - 30+ people with 2 guides. No fast and slow group. Had to wait for everyone (10 minutes +)  multiple times in the pouring rain.

Paid excursions were often not much better. A full day paid tour in Flam - Complete Sognefjord Experience - was much, much too crowded - around 40 people. Initial Flam train was full to capacity so many seats with poor view. Train to Voss was better after we spread out, despite guide's initial insistence to pack us into 1 car. Bus was just about 100% full and lunch, at a beautiful spot, was a ridiculous buffet that squeezed us all into one long table with only one entrance/exit, despite an otherwise empty dining room. 

That said, 2 other paid excursions - to a salmon farm and crab fishing were good, especially the latter. The crab fishing excursion  was a small group (8 guests)  and was excellent - great host, great concept and a small group. Made me miss the old days when excursions were not included!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Port Power said:

thank you

In many respects, Silversea does not have complete control over the excursions.  They must of course contract with providers in the various ports. There will be a finite supply of coaches or vans and guides.  If there are a number of ships in port on a given day, transport may be more crowded than it would be on a day with fewer ships.  Silversea could presumably specify that no vehicle can be more than half full.  However, in that case, many more excursions might be unavailable ("sold out"),

• Like 1

Well yesterday on the Muse my excursion had 32 guests and 1 guide. turned out not to be a major problem. The guide was young and a bit nervous but an OK job. We visited the Kuramon fish market in Osaka and the Katsuo-ji temple in the mountains. The only excursion I wanted in Osaka as we have stayed in Osaka and Kyoto several times and visited Nara on 3 occasions.

The temple basically was the only major temple I had not visited. It was very nice and would be a recommendation.

We were all slow apart from 1 young couple who did their own thing but were back at the stated time to get back on the bus.