Edge Class IC, PH, EV Retreat Experience

buncosquad

Interested in feedback from those who have YoY experience specifically with Edge class ships in IC, PH, and EV only.

So much negativity with the entry level Retreat product, but how do these three specific stateroom type Retreat experiences compare as of late, especially if you've got recent YoY experience in them?

We were in the PH on Edge and Silhouette after sailing resumed and on Equinox at the beginning of September. Service was the same as we experienced before Covid. The butlers and cabin attendants took care of every detail and virtually anything we asked for, including bringing extra bottles of wine and switching the standard champagne in the suite to Veuve. 

It was several levels above our RS experience on Reflection over New Years.

• Like 2

EV 15106 on the Beyond. Service was superb. Butler walked us to specialty dining every evening. Brought us breakfast every morning. 'Plunge pool' turned out to be an excellent hot tub. Veranda was 200+ sq. ft. with bench, tables, two loungers and a rocking chair. We tend to stay in the room or on the veranda all day so it was wonderful. Patio on Deck 16 was a bonus (Beyond and Ascent/starboard side only).

Patio1.jpg

Patio2.jpg

Patio3.jpg

Patio4.jpg

Patio5.jpg

• Like 1

The Edge Villa 15100 on APEX provided an extraordinary experience. The Butler's attentiveness, proactiveness, and constant readiness to spoil us were truly remarkable. Having traveled in Sky Suites before, we can confidently say that the Edge Villa surpasses comparison and is in a different league.  The Luminae experience was exceptional, and every meal at the specialty restaurants was of the highest caliber (with a minor demerit to Fine Cut). The service provided at both the Martini Bar and Cafe al Bacio was nothing short of excellent. 

EV_Apex.jpg

EV_Apex2.JPG

EV_Apex3.jpg

EV_Apex4.jpg

Edited by mjfship
  • Like 3

We did a move up from sky to penthouse on edge very shortly after Covid (edges second sailing) we were treated like royalty, penthouse is huge two bathrooms and two bedrooms. Huge closet with changing area , my only negative was balc Is totally covered so no sun but we were very close to outdoor retreat. Love the high end suites with two bottles of liquor of your choice , plus restocking of fridge with whatever beer soda etc. plus free specialty restaurants. Approximately 1600 ft . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjfship said:

EV_ApexVideo.movUnavailable  

The Edge Villa on APEX provided an extraordinary experience. The Butler's attentiveness, proactiveness, and constant readiness to spoil us were truly remarkable. Having traveled in Sky Suites before, we can confidently say that the Edge Villa surpasses comparison and is in a different league.  The Luminae experience was exceptional, and every meal at the specialty restaurants was of the highest caliber (with a minor demerit to Fine Cut). The service provided at both the Martini Bar and Cafe al Bacio was nothing short of excellent. 

EV_Apex.jpg

EV_Apex2.JPG

EV_ApexVideo.movUnavailable EV_ApexVideo2.movUnavailable

EV_Apex3.jpg

This level of excellence has been what we've experienced on our previous in the Retreat in a SS and while we are still hopeful for the same on our Connie Dec cruise we're concerned about the changes and the effect on what we have become used to and expect. We'll see. 

35 minutes ago, mjfship said:

The Edge Villa 15100 on APEX provided an extraordinary experience. The Butler's attentiveness, proactiveness, and constant readiness to spoil us were truly remarkable. Having traveled in Sky Suites before, we can confidently say that the Edge Villa surpasses comparison and is in a different league.  The Luminae experience was exceptional, and every meal at the specialty restaurants was of the highest caliber (with a minor demerit to Fine Cut). The service provided at both the Martini Bar and Cafe al Bacio was nothing short of excellent. 

EV_Apex.jpg

EV_Apex2.JPG

EV_Apex3.jpg

EV_Apex4.jpg

EV_APEX_livingroom.JPG

EV_APEX_stairs.JPG

EV_Apex_sunset.JPG

• Like 4

All great photos and happy reviews!

Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful suites!

Seems being in the Retreat in Sky Suites is an experience above regular staterooms,   but the upper suites are a huge step up!  Priced accordingly!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hcat said:

All great photos and happy reviews!

Thanks for sharing pics of your beautiful suites!

Seems being in the Retreat in Sky Suites is an experience above regular staterooms,   but the upper suites are a huge step up!  Priced accordingly!

Have stayed in CS and it was the same experience, other than CS is a larger suite, but they still have a dedicated butler along with the other upper suites. We'll see what this Head Butler is all about or not all about! 

I have IC and EV experience. I wouldn't expect Celebrity to let service/support slide at this level, as it has for their entry level Retreat offerings. But, who knows?

The pricing for IC, PH and EV seems fair for the marketplace (inflation, post-pandemic "rebuild" of operations that every business is enduring).

So long as zero revisions to the superior level of service noted in this thread, and in my experience, Celebrity is still a great option (at least when buying their very top end offerings).

Their Edge class ships are wonderful. Regrettably, their new ships also make their older classes of ships look woefully outdated (I'm talking the hard product only. New paint jobs and fabric hide nothing but the rust and old wood).

Thank you all for your feedback.

Edited by buncosquad

8 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Have stayed in CS and it was the same experience, other than CS is a larger suite, but they still have a dedicated butler along with the other upper suites. We'll see what this Head Butler is all about or not all about! 

I have very low expectations after reading some recent reports.  Head Butler seems invisible to SS except on day 1 or 2 and last day.  Any snacks, breakfast, dinner are ordered through Room Service  putting a card hanger on the door for breakfast/coffee juice or calling for other things.  No standing orders🥲.  

How is the food quality any better for upper suite guests?  Strictly on food the money for an upper suite would go far on the ship or land.  So, I'm curious if the quality of the food is actually any better.

12 hours ago, Cap_D said:

How is the food quality any better for upper suite guests?  Strictly on food the money for an upper suite would go far on the ship or land.  So, I'm curious if the quality of the food is actually any better.

Food quality the same but choice definitely expanded for upper suites...unlimited specialty dining.

When we sail upper suites, we may go to Luminae a couple of times to enjoy specific meals we special order ahead of time, and the remainder to specialty dining.

And you can book specialty dinners last minute on a whim with the butler or concierge and we've never had an issue getting a reservation.

The two-story Edge Villa is a unique suite and we absolutely love it, with its open space, plunge pool, private door from the hallway to the Retreat Lounge, and private door to the Retreat sun deck.

As to butler service, we received the best butler service ever when we stayed in a Sky Suite...lovely butler from Romania.

Butler service in the upper suites were good but not over the top good for us.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

13 hours ago, Cap_D said:

The specialty suite elevates the culinary experience with a wide array of delectable options. In addition to all the specialty dining, we were treated to a daily surprise of afternoon sushi plates, alongside the freshest fruits, crudites, and baked goods in the evenings.

Also, we really enjoyed the 'Wandering Scotsman' in Luminae (she must've looked at our drinking habits and taken note) and our Butler provided the ingredients so we could make our own in the suite since we had the complimentary bottle of Bulleit Rye. 

On a special occasion, we celebrated a birthday during the cruise, and the EV was transformed into a party place with an abundance of balloons, flowers, and a large personalized carrot cake accompanied by a bottle of great champagne, and a beautiful unexpected gift. 

It is the attention to every detail that keeps us returning to X time and time again.

Edited by mjfship

13 hours ago, Cap_D said:

They have specialty restaurants as a complimentary except the CS.

There should have no problem with the food.

19 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Well...you get unlimited specialty dining, so....

(we did SS on Beyond in April...honestly, we did not find Luminae any better than MDRs on Apex & Edge. All very good tho)

41 minutes ago, KKB said:

Well...you get unlimited specialty dining, so....

(we did SS on Beyond in April...honestly, we did not find Luminae any better than MDRs on Apex & Edge. All very good tho)

Thanks.  We found the ingredient quality in Eden to be stellar in Spring 2023, and it was covered by a small amount of Retreat included OBC that came with our CS booking.  So, it was essentially included.  That wouldn't happen with new bookings since OBC is no longer provided with Retreat.  We haven't seen any recent reviews of Eden post cutbacks.  

14 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Thanks.  We found the ingredient quality in Eden to be stellar in Spring 2023, and it was covered by a small amount of Retreat included OBC that came with our CS booking.  So, it was essentially included.  That wouldn't happen with new bookings since OBC is no longer provided with Retreat.  We haven't seen any recent reviews of Eden post cutbacks.  

OBC is gone w/ Retreat?! Wow...

55 minutes ago, KKB said:

OBC is gone w/ Retreat?! Wow...

i booked ascent and got 800 and glad i booked when i did. i'm sure if i waited not only would pricing have gone up. but if i would have lost 800 that would have been sad

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 11:50 PM, Cap_D said:

I like the variety offered and they will do unique custom dining. To me that is important because on long sailings the menus are too repetitive. They take their best ingredients and prepare off menu dishes.

Here is a special Indian food lunch with dishes that are not on any of their menus. We just said what we would like and as long as they had the ingredients we were accommodated.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb0244cdbb41a073454c0395593d7626.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e9007c66f566f0aeba86e17d2e260ec0.jpeg

Here is our butler setting up for a party of 20 guests on our balcony while sailing through the Panama Canal. No extra charge to us.

image.thumb.jpeg.29fff7e14353fd0a3599e35a0a5cc50a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.be7c029e39586811b92ea7c5fd5ac621.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d081ccba370b910d0c370d092bc745b1.jpeg

Liquor too. They have sourced higher end Scotch that is not on the ship if requested ahead of time. I have never stayed in a SS, but the attention to detail is exceptional in the upper suites. 

• Like 1