Upgrade

regan3

Does HAL do automatic upgrades for cabins or would they give you an option to decline first?

Is there a place to note you don't want an upgrade for either cabin location or category on your reservation or is that not necessary?

You can opt in to receive a free upgrade, based on HAL's definition of "upgrade." If you select this option, you don't then have a choice about accepting the "upgrade." The resulting assignment may or may not be to your liking.

• Like 1

And sometimes they will give you an upgrade regardless of your preference - but that's pretty unlikely.

Unlike Princess, you can't mark a willingness to accept an upgrade only to the next type of cabin (ie Oceanview to Verandah, etc).

You can have your booking noted as "no upgrade." That means that you will still receive paid "upsell" offers (which you can decline), but you will not be upgraded at no charge and moved to another cabin. I do this when I'm in a specific cabin or location (true aft, for example) and would not be happy with a different location. If you get moved via an upgrade and don't like the new one, you likely will not be able to get your original cabin back.

• Like 2

Thank you, I will try to have it noted.

When I did the booking I didn't see any area where to either opt in to an upgrade or decline upgrades. 

Granted I may have missed it but did go over it pretty carefully. 

Just was curious on others experience. 

11 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

And sometimes they will give you an upgrade regardless of your preference - but that's pretty unlikely.

Unlike Princess, you can't mark a willingness to accept an upgrade only to the next type of cabin (ie Oceanview to Verandah, etc).

Does HAL offer free upgrades to the next type? We booked a Noordam Signature Suite on deck 6, so there are no cabins in that type that would be an upgrade. Only way to upgrade would be to move us into a Neptune Suite. I just assumed they wouldn’t do that.

We did indicate in the reservation that we’d take an upgrade, if offered.

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Does HAL offer free upgrades to the next type? We booked a Noordam Signature Suite on deck 6, so there are no cabins in that type that would be an upgrade. Only way to upgrade would be to move us into a Neptune Suite. I just assumed they wouldn’t do that.

We did indicate in the reservation that we’d take an upgrade, if offered.

It does happen, but fairly rare now since HAL uses paid upgrade offers to fill the higher cabins.  More money for them!

10 hours ago, regan3 said:

Thank you, I will try to have it noted.

When I did the booking I didn't see any area where to either opt in to an upgrade or decline upgrades. 

Granted I may have missed it but did go over it pretty carefully. 

Just was curious on others experience. 

I vaguely remember a random box somewhere, but always do mine by calling in. Then ask for a new invoice to confirm - it is noted on the invoice whether you book direct or w/TA. I had a TA try to talk me into not including "no upgrade" as a free upgrade was nice to receive. Uh, no thank you - I don't want Starboard mid-ship when our preferred cabin is true aft. 🫣

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

On my confirmation, this is on page 1, uppermost right:

Booking Confirmation

Your travel advisor

(TA's name and contact info)

Not on my HAL reservation confirmation through a HAL PCC.

1 minute ago, Bemidji Ty said:

When can we expect to receive offers to bid on upgrades?

HAL does not auction upgrades. They contact you (or you can call to inquire) maybe two weeks prior to sailing (or less) with the price of an upsell. You can accept by calling the number in the e-mail - quickly. You need to have a deck plan and your charge card when you call. Good deals go VERY quickly.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bemidji Ty said:

We leave on our first post-covid cruise on HAL in 36 days.  We've done a couple on Princess and participated in the "bid to upgrade" process.  When can we expect to receive offers to bid on upgrades?

Thanks.

HAL does not use a bid process for upgrades. You can call to see if any are available. And call more than once - something may not be available when you call the first time, but there may be availability later.

• Thanks 1