10/04/23 (04/10/23) Meraviglia Sailing - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

optimusprime82

This will be a work in progress. I prefer working from my Ipad but I’ll only have internet on that device when in port. Lots of photos from our three days in NYC before the cruise, we’ve been trying to remember to take photos of food (sometimes we forget), some arrival and sail away timelapse videos, etc. Getting ready to leave the ship for explore Boston. Arrived a few hours late due to fog this morning. Tendering in Newport, RI was a disaster yesterday, lots of frayed nerves and some tempers flaired.

The dissipating fog in Newport, RI.

IMG_4811.thumb.jpeg.64728e67d350067c1878cbc6f26be52a.jpeg

The evening sunset approaches in Newport, RI.

IMG_4812.thumb.jpeg.0921de4aedef4a21a498902327cae99e.jpeg

More to come, I’ll try to answer any questions the best I can.

Edited by optimusprime82
Typo
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, dexddd said:

How was embarkation?

Relatively easy. First time using the Brooklyn cruise terminal. From dropping our bags off curbside to signing in our credit card at the terminal station on the ship took about thirty minutes total. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fissues said:

10’ seas expected tomorrow here in Boston. Safe travels. 

Fingers crossed. We have two days at sea and then we’re docking in Corner Brook on Monday (Canadian Thanksgiving).

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Sorry to hear they haven't improved the tendering process from the last sailing! I know some of it isn't their fault, but there was definitely room for improvement on MSC's part that we observed.

Agreed, some it it isn’t there fault but having a thousand plus people, many of which are elderly, just standing along a busy road for hours is a recipe for disaster. They also need to have staff organizing and directing the line instead of just letting the crowd police themselves.

2 hours ago, optimusprime82 said:

Fingers crossed. We have two days at sea and then we’re docking in Corner Brook on Monday (Canadian Thanksgiving).

Agreed, some it it isn’t there fault but having a thousand plus people, many of which are elderly, just standing along a busy road for hours is a recipe for disaster. They also need to have staff organizing and directing the line instead of just letting the crowd police themselves.

We were on NCL Escape last month.....it was the same thing.  Awful.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Does Newport have YC line to tender back in Newport?  How long did it take to get back? 

On my sailing, there wasn't a separate line for YC, they were just allowed to cut it into the main line from the side at the very front of the line.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 11:53 AM, dexddd said:

Does Newport have YC line to tender back in Newport?  How long did it take to get back? 

On 10/8/2023 at 3:54 PM, JamieLogical said:

On my sailing, there wasn't a separate line for YC, they were just allowed to cut it into the main line from the side at the very front of the line.

JamieLogical nailed it. There's not a specific YC line but a YC rep will walk up and down the line trying to find YC passengers to move them to the front. 

The ups and downs of the cruise continue. 

The good... dinner in MDR has been continuously good, the evening shows have been entertaining, getting on/off the ship has been a lot easier since Newport. 

The "bad..." we were double charged for our "Anne of Green Gables" shore excursion, photo package, and laundry package. We went to the excursion desk before leaving NYC and talked with someone who said it would be taken care of, went to the main reception desk the next night to get the laundry and photo package dealt with. This visit also included a question about why the laundry package, which was advertised as being cheaper pre-cruise was $12 cheaper on board. The rep said they'd cancel both laundry packages and one of the photo packages. 

Fast forward to Monday night, we received two shore excursion envelopes (one for the morning, one in the afternoon excursion of the same excursion). Went back to reception, because the excursion desk was already closed, and the rep said there were no notes in our account about any of the issues we reported so I had to go over everything again. This is just under $500 of charges that I'd like to get back for we disembark since I doubt MSC will be easy to work with post-cruise. 

Breakfast and lunch service in MDR hasn't been great, honestly it's been pretty miserable. Not sure why, we see a lot of the same staff at both but it's just a slow and disorganized mess. 

Guest behavior has been been appalling. An elderly Asian gentleman became outraged outside the theater because he didn't have a ticket and tried to run pass the staff and they had to restrain him as we walked in. Lots of cell phone use in during the shows and people will constantly show up late and/or leave after 5-10 minutes. The buffet is even more chaotic than usual for a cruise ship. An entire bowl of oranges will be set out and within a few minutes 30+ will be taken, with people walking off with two or three in each hand. 

Overall, we're having a good time but the repeated negative customer service experiences are beginning to take their toll.

40 minutes ago, optimusprime82 said:

The ups and downs of the cruise continue. 

The good... dinner in MDR has been continuously good, the evening shows have been entertaining, getting on/off the ship has been a lot easier since Newport. 

The "bad..." we were double charged for our "Anne of Green Gables" shore excursion, photo package, and laundry package. We went to the excursion desk before leaving NYC and talked with someone who said it would be taken care of, went to the main reception desk the next night to get the laundry and photo package dealt with. This visit also included a question about why the laundry package, which was advertised as being cheaper pre-cruise was $12 cheaper on board. The rep said they'd cancel both laundry packages and one of the photo packages. 

Fast forward to Monday night, we received two shore excursion envelopes (one for the morning, one in the afternoon excursion of the same excursion). Went back to reception, because the excursion desk was already closed, and the rep said there were no notes in our account about any of the issues we reported so I had to go over everything again. This is just under $500 of charges that I'd like to get back for we disembark since I doubt MSC will be easy to work with post-cruise. 

Breakfast and lunch service in MDR hasn't been great, honestly it's been pretty miserable. Not sure why, we see a lot of the same staff at both but it's just a slow and disorganized mess. 

Guest behavior has been been appalling. An elderly Asian gentleman became outraged outside the theater because he didn't have a ticket and tried to run pass the staff and they had to restrain him as we walked in. Lots of cell phone use in during the shows and people will constantly show up late and/or leave after 5-10 minutes. The buffet is even more chaotic than usual for a cruise ship. An entire bowl of oranges will be set out and within a few minutes 30+ will be taken, with people walking off with two or three in each hand. 

Overall, we're having a good time but the repeated negative customer service experiences are beginning to take their toll.

I am enjoying your review.  But, please edit out the reference to a person's nationality as that is not at all important to note.

Edited by gizfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, gizfish said:

I am enjoying your review.  But, please edit out the reference to a person's nationality as that is not at all important to note.

Can't edit the post but it was an oversight on my part not not mention that the confusion/agitation seemed to stem from a language barrier issue. MSC seems to have plenty of staff that can handle most European languages near the Broadway Theater, that doesn't appear to be the case for the Asian cruisers. That has led to some frustration at different venues. No offense was intended. 

• Like 6

Thanks for posting a current menu.  It is not obvious, but the "featured selection" items are available for a surcharge.   

I have around four weeks of prior cruising on MSC, so I have eaten quite a bit of their food, which is pretty good for a mass market line.  If you are trying to avoid bread, the problem is that they often have very nice bread available and it is hard to pass up.  

Unless things have changed, the classic favorites are available nightly.   I'm always happy with the salmon, but surprised that a European cruise line does not have exceptional pasta.   Sailing out of Barcelona a couple of years ago, the Spanish delights on this menu (and photographed) were disappointing.  However, the soups, which may not sound very interesting, can be special.  If you like mozzarella and you find the freshly made type on board, that is a real treat.

Leave time for breakfast and lunch if you decide to go to the main dining room, as service time can vary, but it is a way to avoid the buffet, which can be great one day and feel like a hospital emergency room another, depending on how many people show up at the same time, what your fellow passengers are like, and how their days have been going.

I hope you can add a bit more about your trip for those of us about to embark.

Well, we’re finally on the road to recovery. Both my wife and I have been fighting the flu (tested negative for Covid) since we returned home and have been pretty sedentary aside from working (we both work from home).

Overall, we had a very good time but we did not book another cruise with MSC while onboard like we had originally planned. Some of the service was exemplary, some was just okay. We never met our original cabin steward, on the fifth day a new steward stopped by with our Aurea room diffuser, some slippers, a box of tissues and said that some robes would arrive later. The robes never arrived and that was the second to last time we saw him for the rest of the cruise aside from when our laundry was delivered.

Our head waiter was friendly but quiet and never outgoing. The assist waiter was wonderful, as was the hostess, they were the dining room highlights as far as the staff goes. We were always happy with the food aside from one Caprese salad that had a half inch of water in the bottom - otherwise we were very happy at dinner in the MDR. 

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR was a lot more hit or miss. Rarely could we get a table by ourselves, which was never an issue at dinner, and the service was chaotic at best. One day at lunch it took seventy minutes for us to get a lunch that consisted of nothing but two Caesar salads and one bowl of ice cream. At another lunch during the last sea day we had to leave prior to our dessert being served because of our wine tasting was starting soon in an adjacent dining room.

The buffet was like the Wild West without gunfights. I don’t know if it’s a change with me or a change with cruisers but it’s gotten pretty cutthroat. We went up to the buffet for lunch on prior to sailing away in NYC and an older lady was already giving one of the dining room managers an earful about the staffing. That set the tone for the buffet for the rest of the cruise. In terms of food, we always thought the buffet food was decent. It wasn’t terribly noteworthy, buffets typically aren’t, but it was perfectly fine if you could tolerate the behavior of the other guests around you and find a table.

We managed to see all the stage shows, including both shows of the The Conjurers (who sat next to us at dinner twice). The Conjurers were lovely and put on an entertaining show. The rest of the stage shows were a bit of a disappointment mostly because the music was geared towards such an older crowd. Two nights in a row we heard the same song, “The Lady is a Tramp” from two different performers. Then a few nights later we heard “September” from Earth, Wind, and Fire in two different shows. I counted eight total songs that were sung in the theater during the entire cruise that were released since my birth in 1982. The entertainment felt like it was almost exclusively geared towards retirees, more so than we were expecting versus our previous MSC cruises.

The only major issue we had, which is a design flaw of the Meraviglia that we knew about from our last sailing, is the location of the Guest Services and its proximity to live music. I don’t understand how MSC reps, many of which are bilingual, are meant to effectively communicate with so many international guests who can barely hear them and vice versa. If the music played there was more background piano music it would probably be okay, but it’s not, for much of the cruise it was reggae. It’s frustrating trying to communicate a billing issue with someone when reggae music loudly plays from behind you.

Like I said in the beginning, we had a good time but we feel that the MSC experience has changed. They don’t feel like the same company we fell in love with in 2017. If we sail with MSC again it will likely be from Europe so the US influence is less pronounced.

• 1 month later...

I meant to provide a lot more photos from the voyage. Between coming home sick, and having to immediately jump back into work and school, I haven’t been able to share much more about what we saw off the ship.

Hopefully this display in the right orientation. 

From Boston.

IMG_5219.jpeg

IMG_5221.jpeg

IMG_5223.jpeg

IMG_5225.jpeg

IMG_5226.jpeg

6 hours ago, optimusprime82 said:

I meant to provide a lot more photos from the voyage. Between coming home sick, and having to immediately jump back into work and school, I haven’t been able to share much more about what we saw off the ship.

Hopefully this display in the right orientation. 

From Boston.

IMG_5219.jpeg

HAHA!!  😄  I live right down the street from that bookstore (Brattle Book Shop) in downtown Boston.  Matter of fact, we just walked past there this evening after our dinner... 😉

Interesting fact... the new movie that is out now "Holdovers" starring Paul Giamatti was filmed there last year...  😉

image.png.6eef2dad3c757573f98a50c4f377146b.png

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, Fissues said:

Great pics! Like the tunas eye. 

Thanks!

On 12/8/2023 at 11:21 PM, buffet24 said:

HAHA!!  😄  I live right down the street from that bookstore (Brattle Book Shop) in downtown Boston.  Matter of fact, we just walked past there this evening after our dinner... 😉

Interesting fact... the new movie that is out now "Holdovers" starring Paul Giamatti was filmed there last year...  😉

image.png.6eef2dad3c757573f98a50c4f377146b.png

That’s very cool. We just stumbled across it, possibly on our way to Cheers lol. 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:43 AM, sverigecruiser said:

I wonder why, I have never eaten a fruit on a cruise!

I’ll  partake in some fruit, but nothing like what I saw on this cruise. 

Some pre-cruise photos and one post-cruise photo from New York City. Some assorted subway shots, exploring the flower district near our hotel, graffiti in Soho, and the Statue of Liberty when we returned to Brooklyn.  

IMG_5230.jpeg

IMG_5231.jpeg

IMG_5232.jpeg

IMG_5233.jpeg

IMG_5234.jpeg

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

IMG_5238.jpeg

IMG_5239.jpeg

IMG_5240.jpeg

IMG_5245.jpeg