Possible solution to reduce TV noise between cabins---Oceania management--PLEASE READ

zteamtwo

19 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

Vlthom----you get the Oceania "good guy award" for this month!!!!  Hope this works on Vista TV's. Dr Koob will check it out. This will really help many Oceania cruisers. Thanks.

I am currently on Vista and it works!!!  You go to the channel guide, choose your channel, press "OK" to watch channel in full screen and then press "diamond" button to the left of the "0" button and it will show CC enabled" .  This works on all channels....

• Like 2

On our last Nautica Japan cruise we brought a small travel white noise machine and used every night to block out any outside noise and it worked perfectly, never heard any unwanted noises, like passerby’s or neighbor’s TV.  Our stateroom was near elevator and were concerned.  Wife could hear elevator “ding” without noise machine, but not with, might help with this topic.

OK everyone here's another solution to TV noise. Someone told me there's enough room to install this.

------------------------------------------------------------------

From your answer of 1 inch of space between TV and the wall, I am pretty sure I can attach these very thin plastic devices, using double sided tape that comes with it.  The plastic devices will deflect the sound to the front.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TQ23FKC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

58 minutes ago, zteamtwo said:

OK everyone here's another solution to TV noise. Someone told me there's enough room to install this.

From your answer of 1 inch of space between TV and the wall, I am pretty sure I can attach these very thin plastic devices, using double sided tape that comes with it.  The plastic devices will deflect the sound to the front.

And you will obviously ask permission before you put these up and will be sure to remove all adhesive residue before you leave, correct?

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

All easily fixed if folks who need hearing aids would use them.

I've worn hearing aids my entire life, 57 years and counting, and I'm sorry but that's an ignorant statement.

It's not the volume of the sound necessarily that needs adjusting, even with louder volume I can still have difficulty understanding dialogue depending on the sound quality. The quality of the audio mix for example plays a huge part in that. There are certain shows and movies I have watch louder because the music and FX are louder and competing with the dialogue.  Other times the quality of the TV speaker muddies the voices so I have to turn it up louder to hear the dialogue.  

Now add in the multitude of hearing aid models. Some are entirely in the ear meaning the microphone is partially hidden inside the ear and its outward facing, not forward facing. That's going to require higher volume most of the time to hear the dialogue on the TV. The units with microphones over the ear typically provide better forward facing sound. And if you models like mine with rear facing microphones, that improves the all around sound.  There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of different types of hearing aids all employing different microphone systems and positioning in the outside the ear. 

Hearing aid speakers are completely different in how they are set up in the ear along with the frequencies they are tuned in to. Most hearing aids are tuned to human speech because we spend the most time talking to others. Depending on the quality of the TV speaker, human speech may be buried into a lower frequency than the hearing aid is tuned to, what we might call 'muddy audio.' That's going to require higher volume to understand the dialogue.  Rear facing speakers on TVs are the worst because that creates a bit of an echo and a delay making it harder for hearing aids to always pick up the sound properly. Again, dozens if not hundreds of different speaker systems in use for hearing aids. 

Now add in the wealth of hearing problems among people. Depending on which frequencies we can hear well, and how good the hearing aids are in making up the difference in frequencies for us, we may require higher volumes to listen to and understand the sound coming from the TV.

There are literally hundreds of reasons why someone who wears hearing aids would require a television to still be at a volume that you could hear it in the next room. Just telling people to use them is not the solution. The ability to connect wireless earbuds or headphones would be an excellent solution most hearing impaired people would enjoy. I do that most evenings after my wife has gone to bed with bluetooth earbuds. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 10/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, zteamtwo said:

Thanks for sharing this!  We bought the devices for my hubby’s TV in the den (he always blasts the sound).  He installed them today and they worked like a charm!  Will be taking along a set on our Marina cruise next year!

11 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I've worn hearing aids my entire life, 57 years and counting, and I'm sorry but that's an ignorant statement.

It's not the volume of the sound necessarily that needs adjusting, even with louder volume I can still have difficulty understanding dialogue depending on the sound quality. The quality of the audio mix for example plays a huge part in that. There are certain shows and movies I have watch louder because the music and FX are louder and competing with the dialogue.  Other times the quality of the TV speaker muddies the voices so I have to turn it up louder to hear the dialogue.  

Now add in the multitude of hearing aid models. Some are entirely in the ear meaning the microphone is partially hidden inside the ear and its outward facing, not forward facing. That's going to require higher volume most of the time to hear the dialogue on the TV. The units with microphones over the ear typically provide better forward facing sound. And if you models like mine with rear facing microphones, that improves the all around sound.  There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of different types of hearing aids all employing different microphone systems and positioning in the outside the ear. 

Hearing aid speakers are completely different in how they are set up in the ear along with the frequencies they are tuned in to. Most hearing aids are tuned to human speech because we spend the most time talking to others. Depending on the quality of the TV speaker, human speech may be buried into a lower frequency than the hearing aid is tuned to, what we might call 'muddy audio.' That's going to require higher volume to understand the dialogue.  Rear facing speakers on TVs are the worst because that creates a bit of an echo and a delay making it harder for hearing aids to always pick up the sound properly. Again, dozens if not hundreds of different speaker systems in use for hearing aids. 

Now add in the wealth of hearing problems among people. Depending on which frequencies we can hear well, and how good the hearing aids are in making up the difference in frequencies for us, we may require higher volumes to listen to and understand the sound coming from the TV.

There are literally hundreds of reasons why someone who wears hearing aids would require a television to still be at a volume that you could hear it in the next room. Just telling people to use them is not the solution. The ability to connect wireless earbuds or headphones would be an excellent solution most hearing impaired people would enjoy. I do that most evenings after my wife has gone to bed with bluetooth earbuds. 

Your learned explanation of hearing aid specifics is appreciated. 

And, as your explanation implies, the inability to comprehend the spoken word on contemporary A/V equipment doesn’t just impact those with hearing issues. Beyond lousy sound quality, there’s the nature of many contemporary shows where FX and multiple microphones for the actors have made it necessary for many folks to automatically turn on Closed Captioning even when they’d hearing is excellent.  Count us among them.

That said, the fact remains that It only takes one button push (🔼) on the O TV remote to turn on the Closed Captions. That alone would often solve much of the “too loud TV” problem onboard. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 8:20 PM, clarku said:

On our last Nautica Japan cruise we brought a small travel white noise machine and used every night to block out any outside noise and it worked perfectly, never heard any unwanted noises, like passerby’s or neighbor’s TV.  Our stateroom was near elevator and were concerned.  Wife could hear elevator “ding” without noise machine, but not with, might help with this topic.

Smart phones apps provide white noise quite easily.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

Smart phones apps provide white noise quite easily.  

Thanks, We’ve tried these and can work great but if they lose WiFi connection can stop abruptly , waking us up.  The travel sized one we have works great and takes very minimal room in suitcase.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

I went deaf over 20 yrs ago and have a cochlear implant. I've learned over the years that shutting the sound off while watching with CC is sometimes more beneficial a lot of cc. is delaid in transmission 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

islabahia and others.  Suggest you get some 3M command strips to attach the sound deflectors.  That way, you can remove the devices when you are done and will not leave any residue on the back of the TV.  Oceania is "fussy" about altering anything in the cabin.  If anyone tries this on an upcoming cruise, let us know how it works.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Acrusa said:

I went deaf over 20 yrs ago and have a cochlear implant. I've learned over the years that shutting the sound off while watching with CC is sometimes more beneficial a lot of cc. is delaid in transmission 

Not only is it delayed but many times, especially on a live show like News or Sports they'll omit whole sections of dialogue. Not really an issue with a movie or prerecorded TV show. 

Are the TVs equipped with an earphone Jack?

Use an amplifier jack that transmits via Bluetooth to wireless headphones, Apple AirPods, etc. single or dual users, great for airplanes.  Better sound for the user, better for the companion or next room neighbor.

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly

disclosure: I have nothing to disclose! No financial interest whatsoever.🤪

I think this is an important topic/concern, but those who keep pleading for Oceania to listen to us here on Cc are being a bit fanciful.  Oceania does not montitor CC, and it knows that the posters represent  an insignificant fraction of its total passengers.  What really needs to be done is to let your TA ...especially O-connected TAs...know of such problems and let them carry the message to O.  Even then, a larger portion of pax need to bring to real issues to their TAs

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Not only is it delayed but many times, especially on a live show like News or Sports they'll omit whole sections of dialogue. Not really an issue with a movie or prerecorded TV show. 

Except SNL DATELINE ON NBC and 20/20 on ABC these are both pre recorded. Have to remember all live CC is done by human beings typing like court stenographer 

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

What really needs to be done is to let your TA ...especially O-connected TAs...know of such problems and let them carry the message to O.  Even then, a larger portion of pax need to bring to real issues to their TAs

That's 100% true there. None of the cruise lines really pay much attention to these boards any more. Years ago they used to really be involved with CC when it was the major player in town. I used to love those CC meet and greets onboard. Anymore, it's all about the social media influencers who basically give the cruise lines tons of free advertising.  With O, there are some excellent business reps so passing along constructive information to your TA is a good way to get information directly to the company. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:25 PM, CruisingWalter said:

Not to totally sidetrack the discussion but "Shetland" is amazing television! Waiting anxiously for the new season. 🙂

FWIW.  Not sure which season you are "waiting anxiously" for, but Season 7, currently available on Britbox, is the final one.

6 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

FWIW.  Not sure which season you are "waiting anxiously" for, but Season 7, currently available on Britbox, is the final one.

watching The Fall 2nd season on local PBS station in NY. takes place in Belfast.

14 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

Season 8 is now filming with Ashley Jensen stepping in as the new DI. 🙂

https://britishperioddramas.com/news/shetland-season-8-filming-scotland-2023-phyllis-logan/

• Like 1