Zero @ Seabourn rolled out

sfvoyage

I think it is important for Seabourn to quickly offer this on every cruise.  We drink alcohol, but try to limit it to a reasonable amount each day.  It would be great to be able to extend an evening with nonalcoholic offerings.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even though those particular concoctions are only offered on Odyssey, I would imagine that if one requested them from bartenders on other vessels they would probably do their best to create them. (We were hitting on a 43 day segment of the world cruise and certainly hope that we will have a original, interesting non-alcoholic beverages available 🙂

5 minutes ago, Steve007NY said:

Even though those particular concoctions are only offered on Odyssey, I would imagine that if one requested them from bartenders on other vessels they would probably do their best to create them. (We were hitting on a 43 day segment of the world cruise and certainly hope that we will have a original, interesting non-alcoholic beverages available 🙂

Actually, the reason that this has only been implemented on the Odyssey is due to product delays.  So other ships don't have the required ingredients at the moment.

56 minutes ago, Steve007NY said:

certainly hope that we will have a original, interesting non-alcoholic beverages available 🙂

On my cruise in September sometimes pre-dinner I didn't want an alcoholic drink and ordered a mocktail from the list they have, not the one just provided, and they were very good. I have also asked barmen on cruises who I have learnt are very capable to make me a bespoke mocktail. They had got to know me and knew nothing sweet. 

• Like 1

I'm SO excited to see this and hope it makes its way to Ovation in time for our November transatlantic.  I very rarely drink these days and look forward to being able to enjoy something interesting at cocktail hour (and beyond).  

This was one of my criticisms of Silversea earlier this year.  No mocktails on menus, not even on request.  I only found one bartender onboard willing to try to make me anything that wasn't a shirley temple or straight fruit juice - all way too sweet.  I otherwise drank them dry of every bottle of NA sparkling wine they had loaded.  

On that note, does anyone know what NA sparkling wine Seabourn stocks?  I know it's been reported they have one.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

I'm SO excited to see this and hope it makes its way to Ovation in time for our November transatlantic.  I very rarely drink these days and look forward to being able to enjoy something interesting at cocktail hour (and beyond).  

This was one of my criticisms of Silversea earlier this year.  No mocktails on menus, not even on request.  I only found one bartender onboard willing to try to make me anything that wasn't a shirley temple or straight fruit juice - all way too sweet.  I otherwise drank them dry of every bottle of NA sparkling wine they had loaded.  

On that note, does anyone know what NA sparkling wine Seabourn stocks?  I know it's been reported they have one.  

Good to see you posting JeniDallas!

46 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

Last time we were on they had several types of Fre' which I found very sweet. I do see in the new Zero list that they have a Joyus NA Rose as one of the ingredients, so perhaps they have expanded the selections (I hope).

36 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

Thank you!  I'm slowly reemerging from the insanity of the last couple of years and getting back to travel.

That is good news.  We finally took our first post pandemic cruise last June and and are booked for this coming July.  Domestic travel before then.  I am with you on the nonalcoholic offerings.  I think Seabourn is coming late to this game.  

1 hour ago, jenidallas said:

Does anyone know what NA sparkling wine Seabourn stocks?  I know it's been reported they have one.  

Frei non alcoholic sparkling wine was on offer a couple of days ago.  I didn't try it though.

They really need to increase the number of low calorie drinks.   They run short of V-8 juice and diet soft drinks.   No calorie Ginger Ale is difficult to find, diet Sprite and Diet Coke are typically the only beverages on offer.   If the new drinks are low calorie that would be a help.   We need to watch carbs.

• Like 2

The crew member implementing the new mocktails (as well as the new Saketini alcoholic cocktails in conjunction with the new sushi counter at The Club) is leaving the Odyssey in Seattle in a few days to move over to the Encore to implement those new beverages.

BTW, these new mocktails are tasty and sophisticated - I do feel like I'm enjoying an adult beverage and not a fruity drink.  However, in terms of calories, I find some of them too sweet and ask for sugar to be omitted and syrup (e.g. elderflower) to be greatly lessened.  Most of the calories come from the sugar content of these drinks.

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

The crew member implementing the new mocktails (as well as the new Saketini alcoholic cocktails in conjunction with the new sushi counter at The Club) is leaving the Odyssey in Seattle in a few days to move over to the Encore to implement those new beverages.

BTW, these new mocktails are tasty and sophisticated - I do feel like I'm enjoying an adult beverage and not a fruity drink.  However, in terms of calories, I find some of them too sweet and ask for sugar to be omitted and syrup (e.g. elderflower) to be greatly lessened.  Most of the calories come from the sugar content of these drinks.

Thanks for the warning about the sweetness. I find most mocktails way too sweet for me and couldn't tell from the menu how sweet they might be. Too bad in the one with elderflower syrup and Fever Tree tonic that they don't just use the Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic instead of syrup. 

4 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Too bad in the one with elderflower syrup and Fever Tree tonic that they don't just use the Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic instead of syrup. 

I will suggest that.  In fact, let's all do so!

• Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 6:20 PM, tjcox9 said:

Too bad in the one with elderflower syrup and Fever Tree tonic that they don't just use the Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic instead of syrup. 

I just met with the corporate manager in charge of F&B and this project in particular.  (Odyssey is in Seattle today, and many corporates are on board, including Natalya Leahy.)

Good news:  they are already in the process of sourcing Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic and have also identified an unsweetened elderflower flavoring/essence.

Regarding the first mocktail that uses egg white powder and is therefore unsuitable for vegans, they are sourcing a vegan egg white alternative.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

I just met with the corporate manager in charge of F&B and this project in particular.  (Odyssey is in Seattle today, and many corporates are on board, including Natalya Leahy.)

Good news:  they are already in the process of sourcing Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic and have also identified an unsweetened elderflower flavoring/essence.

Regarding the first mocktail that uses egg white powder and is therefore unsuitable for vegans, they are sourcing a vegan egg white alternative.

Good news indeed!

It seems Seabourn is attending to the details and are serious about maintaining/improving F&B on board.  These changes, albeit minor, along with the newly initiated sushi in the Club, as well as the new in-suite dining menu and the promised 100 new menu items over the next year are encouraging developments.  Sounds like they got the message that they can't rest on their laurels.  Now if they could just build a new generation of ocean vessels...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfvoyage said:

Thanks for the info and nice to hear they are listening! I just used the Elderflower Tonic a few weeks ago and find it a nice break from the Indian Tonic I normally use. I won't be onboard for about six months so hopefully, they'll have this all ironed out by then.

13 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Also, was there any discussion of adding/changing the selection of NA wines which they offer?

On 10/10/2023 at 4:27 PM, sfvoyage said:

Hurray that she/he is going to Encore!  Can you remember their first name?  I'll seek them out and report back in the following weeks. 

And thanks for the heads up on reducing the sweetness. 

15 minutes ago, DTtravelers said:

Hurray that she/he is going to Encore!  Can you remember their first name?  I'll seek them out and report back in the following weeks. 

And thanks for the heads up on reducing the sweetness. 

His name is Kent, recruited from a Shangri-La hotel in the Philippines. He is still on the Odyssey but is now scheduled to leave in 2 days in San Francisco.

He works in the Club, which features the new mocktail menu. If you want to enjoy them in the observation bar, you will need to ask them to bring it up from the Club.

• Like 1