Coastal Kitchen - explain what is so great

I had the unlimited dining plan on Wonder and ate at Coastal Kitchen four times total. The breakfasts were better than the dinners. It ranked towards the lower half of all the restaurants on the ship in my opinion. Still good and worth visiting, but not as tasty as places like Izumi or 150 Central Park.

The only meal we regretted during the entire trip was Hooked. Maybe we just ordered the wrong food because some people swear by it.

25 minutes ago, spooky981 said:

Maybe we just ordered the wrong food because some people swear by it.

Food is subjective. Mason Jar brunch was one of the best meals I've ever had onboard (7 of my 8 family members also loved it) but others don't like it.

1 hour ago, spooky981 said:

The only meal we regretted during the entire trip was Hooked. Maybe we just ordered the wrong food because some people swear by it.

Not a fan of Hooked either.  Tried in December, horrible service, food not that great.  Tried it again end of August pretty much the same.  Cerviche was not like any I have ever had.  I don't think the fish was marinated at all. 

7 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Out of curiosity, why is that?

I am not sure if it is the difference in the number of suites on the ship or what, but when we have had a JS on a Quantum class ship, we have been able to reserve dinner in CK every night.  On Oasis class, that has not been the case, it is typically only a few nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Not a fan of Hooked either.  Tried in December, horrible service, food not that great.  Tried it again end of August pretty much the same.  Cerviche was not like any I have ever had.  I don't think the fish was marinated at all. 

Yep, food and service is soooooo subjective.  We've only been to Hooked once and that was on the Symphony.  We absolutely loved the food and service.  In fact, the Mexican Cocktail was the best I've ever had, anywhere, except for Elmo's Steak House in Indianapolis.  

One thing that is Bitter Suite, when Harmony goes into drydock for its upgrades, as I've heard it, they will remove Sabor (Boooooooo) and replace it with Playmakers (well, okay).  And they will add Hooked (YEAH!!!).  I read that on the Internet, so I know it's true!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

they will remove Sabor (Boooooooo)

Ooh, another Sabor fan! Only ate there once ever (Harmony last year) and really enjoyed most of my meal (loved multiple apps and desserts, probably ordered the wrong entree, some sort of burrito). Enjoyed the jalapeno cucumber margarita too (though I like the Goal Post margarita from Playmakers a little better).

Going there on Allure later this month. Got any entree recommendations? Someone recently told me they loved the Snapper.

Like many others, what I love about dinner at CK is the fact that it's a much smaller, quieter venue with more personalized service. Also, in our experience, the pacing of the courses and temperature of the food were consistently good. For those staying in full suites without the DBP, it was also nice being able to get wine and beer with dinner for no charge -- obviously not the case at the specialty restaurants.

I realize the OP is in a JS, but I thought I'd mention breakfast for others reading this thread. We are not usually sit down breakfast people, but we enjoyed it so much we went 4 times on our Harmony sailing last month. Everything we ordered was fantastic, but I especially loved their omelets. So, so good!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Ooh, another Sabor fan! Only ate there once ever (Harmony last year) and really enjoyed most of my meal (loved multiple apps and desserts, probably ordered the wrong entree, some sort of burrito). Enjoyed the jalapeno cucumber margarita too (though I like the Goal Post margarita from Playmakers a little better).

Going there on Allure later this month. Got any entree recommendations? Someone recently told me they loved the Snapper.

I prefer the app... bacon wrapped chicken popper, Ceviche and the guac. For an entree I just get the shrimp. Not a fan of their tacos and burritos.  In fact we will be on Allure this weekend 15th and decided to do the guac class that includes lunch  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I prefer the app... bacon wrapped chicken popper, Ceviche and the guac. For an entree I just get the shrimp. Not a fan of their tacos and burritos.  In fact we will be on Allure this weekend 15th and decided to do the guac class that includes lunch  

My family of 8 re-ordered that bacon chicken app for the table like 5 times, lol. Everyone loved it. I also enjoyed the guac, just didn't mention it. I was mostly looking at the non-taco/burrito entrees. Thanks.

I could just sit there eating guac and apps and then dessert but I'm not going to skip an entree altogether.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2023 at 9:18 AM, reallyitsmema said:

Make sure you go to CK once you board and try to get a reservation.  The first night is one of the busiest night and is not always available to those in JS.  You will have a lot better chance of getting a reservation if you are sailing a Quantum class ship.

To further your comment I thought JS got limited to no access to the CK.  Has it changed that they get to dine there for every meal.  The one time we were in a JS on Allure, we were told there was no availability for the entire week.

Edit, just read your comment about Oasis class ships. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's been a few, too many, years, maybe a decade or so, since I visited a Sabor, so I can't remember what I ordered, specifically.  But, I will say that the Guacamole was great.  No, not the prepackaged one, the stuff they make at your table.  And the Margaritas were good too. Oh, I especially enjoyed the Tequila shots (but that's not venue-specific, but the atmosphere made it better).  And, the bar there was the only bar on the whole ship that had Sol Beer. 

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Yep, food and service is soooooo subjective.  We've only been to Hooked once and that was on the Symphony.  We absolutely loved the food and service.  In fact, the Mexican Shrimp Cocktail was the best I've ever had, anywhere, except for Elmo's Steak House in Indianapolis.  

One thing that is Bitter Suite, when Harmony goes into drydock for its upgrades, as I've heard it, they will remove Sabor (Boooooooo) and replace it with Playmakers (well, okay).  And they will add Hooked (YEAH!!!).  I read that on the Internet, so I know it's true!!!

16 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly!

For the OP:  If you only LOOK at the menu, you may be underwhelmed.  But, there is a lot more to it than just the paper or digital menu.  ATMOSPHERE is the main reason for us.  Not that we spend every meal there, not even close.  But, we do enjoy it a lot, now.  That wasn't the case many years ago.  It has improved as the years went along.  I like the service, we usually have a team of about 3 or 4 servers hovering around us just waiting to make our experience a fantastic one (Tiping generously may have a lot to do with that).  Is it ALWAYS perfect?  NO!  But, it sure beats the MDR, I'm not a big fan of the MDR, obviously.  

As stated in another post(s), food is subjective and I'll add the perception of good or bad service is subjective, too.  

Perfectly stated...and so true for us as well my friend.  Looking forward to CK again for another B2B on Wonder, end of this month.  And Joy ofJoys!!!.....Grace is on board as host.   We adored her on Harmony!  🥰

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Perfectly stated...and so true for us as well my friend.  Looking forward to CK again for another B2B on Wonder, end of this month.  And Joy ofJoys!!!.....Grace is on board as host.   We adored her on Harmony!  🥰

Well, I hope the Wonder and its crew provide you with a cruise that exceeds your expectations.  

• Thanks 1

One thing I wanted to say above but forgot, in CK I can't reach over with my fork, elbow still bent (in other words, not a long reach), and pick up a fork full of green beans........, I can't whisper in the ear of the people next to our table and not move out of my chair.  In the CK if I wanted to do any of that, I'd have to get up and take a step or two over to the next table.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I hope the Wonder and its crew provide you with a cruise that exceeds your expectations.  

Already did last year.  B2B med, staying on for 2 week TA.   Loved it so much, we booked the same cabin again, #1770 for end of this month.  🥰

• Like 2