Check in Platinum vs room time

chadci

I did my check in this morning for a cruise coming up soon and it says we can't access our rooms until 1:30 even Diamond, Platinum and FTTF. Are we going back to that, or is it ship / port dependent? I really appreicate being able to take my bags to the room.

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They are slowly removing references to being able to drop off bags so I would not be surprised if that is gone in the near future.

I agree. 

It's also too difficult to police, I've seen plenty of non-priority guests taking advantage of this. It's not like the ship can station someone at every hallway access to check boarding passes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I agree. 

It's also too difficult to police, I've seen plenty of non-priority guests taking advantage of this. It's not like the ship can station someone at every hallway access to check boarding passes.

That's almost certainly why it'll go away - not because Carnival cut too many stewards to be able to effectively do their jobs in a timely manner. It didn't seem to be much of an issue prior to COVID. Sure some snuck through but it didn't seem to be that big of a deal that I recall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chadci said:

That's disappointing, but just another kick I guess.

I guess we're back to lugging around our 12 packs and bottles of wine.... hopefully they don't take that away too. 

To be clear it is still allowed, you just won't find many references to it online or in emails from Carnival. Which is why I say I wouldn't be surprised to hear it go away at any time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadci said:

I did my check in this morning for a cruise coming up soon and it says we can't access our rooms until 1:30 even Diamond, Platinum and FTTF. Are we going back to that, or is it ship / port dependent? I really appreicate being able to take my bags to the room.

its been like that for many many months. its not new and its for every port

• Like 2

I will be on the Mardi Gras next Saturday and I received an email going over Platinum/Diamond information.  The email specifically says that you can drop your luggage off and then go to public area.  I plan to bring it with me because I carry on my luggage (mid size) and carry on - so if I weren't able to drop it off, I would obviously leave the luggage with a porter.

I would rather not check my luggage as we had a piece of luggage go "missing" on a previous 7 day cruise.  It wasn't found until the day before we would be debarking in some cabin with 4 college girls and each thought it belonged to one of the others - even though they sent notices out 2-3 times asking passengers to check to see if they had it.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

They are slowly removing references to being able to drop off bags so I would not be surprised if that is gone in the near future.

Agreed.  I think passengers who are not Diamond/Platinum are learning about it and also dropping off their bags. Same people who crash the D/P reunion party!  The bad apples will ruin it for everyone else.  It's the world we live in...... "rules don't apply to me"...............

• Like 3

You got that right!

And the DP party is nice, hopefully they just check cards better in the future and turn the others away. 

I still miss the last night party. I can't drink like that anymore, but wow...

26 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Agreed.  I think passengers who are not Diamond/Platinum are learning about it and also dropping off their bags. Same people who crash the D/P reunion party!  The bad apples will ruin it for everyone else.  It's the world we live in...... "rules don't apply to me"...............

Acceptable collateral damage. There are ways for Carnival to take care of it if they cared.

• Like 1

True, but the bigger the ships get and the fewer staff... I work in a busy downtown hospital, and our patient count is always high and seems like we operate on a skeleton crew... so I get why, but on a paid vacation losing even little things does stand out. 

From John Heald, 5 days ago:

"This is one of those times where I need to respectfully and very kindly ask those that have permission to go directly to the cabin to drop off that carry on bags to please do just that, drop them off.

This is of course for guests, who are diamond, Platinum, staying in a suite or have Faster to the Fun.

The cabin attendant is not “ being rude” by asking you to leave and not allowing you to unpack. They need to clean your cabin, they need to do it to the highest of standards and then they have to move onto the next one

So please do just drop off the bags and then please go and enjoy lunch etc.

Cheers"
Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

Yup - and it wouldn't require extra staff to do so.  A lot of staff members are already at the door.  

The only crew by doors are the ones directing you to Lido.  The ones on Muster duty aren't there to police who can go the the rooms and those are only on muster decks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The only crew by doors are the ones directing you to Lido.  The ones on Muster duty aren't there to police who can go the the rooms and those are only on muster decks

I'm probably wrong, but I think they just meant at the Diamond and Platinum party. 

Edited by chadci
  • Like 1