Barcelona is pushing docking to be outside the city center

InFullertonCA

FWIW, bigger ships including NCL's fleet ... has not been docking at the berths near "city centre" as described or called in the news.  That's been used by smaller ships only.

When we disembarked this May, we're at one of the larger satellite terminals - definitely not walking distance, especially with luggage in tow, to sightsee or otherwise, spend a day in the city.  MSC and Virgin Voyage, etc. all docked at these distant or remote berths.  Taxis are plentiful, inexpensive & fares are metered, with flat rates to/from the airport.  There is also that inexpensive shuttle option but not necessary a practical one unless one travel lightly 

But, however, it does reflect a growing movement "against" cruise lines bringing in ships and passengers that overwhelmed the port's facilities and resources, and aren't really contributing ?? to the local economy, etc. etc. (this is all open to chats & debates, okay ... difference in opinions and facts chosen, etc. etc.)   Our local tour guide that met us just outside the cruise terminal with her driver waiting in the van nearby, was showing us the future expansion of more cruise ship terminals at Moll d'Adossat ... it is a long, very long walk to reach the waterfront and/or heart of the city at the foothill of La Rambla.  

Relax.  Take a deep breath ... Alaska ports, anyone - aren't locals there doing something similar.  Let's not forget some of the New England ports, like Portland & Bar Harbor, Maine - depending on who you speak to, ask and listen to, and the stories told accordingly.   

It is their city - perhaps they have finally realized that the day trippers who spend as little as possible in the city (and truly we all know that there are hoards of people that pride themselves on never spending a $ on board or onshore) are just not worth it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

And there is a shuttle for 2 or 3 Euro that drops you off at the Columbus statue.

Not anymore. The shuttle used to have that stop right behind the building next to the statue but now its several blocks away, closer to the port. The price has gone back to 3 Euros (the driver doesnt carry change)

2 hours ago, desibee said:

Between this and the tax, perhaps it's safe to say that Barcelona no longer wants the tourist dollars of cruisers.

There is a big difference between Arrival/ departure port VS Port of call. Speaking for myself I will spend a whole week (and a lot of $$$$) in Barcelona before embarking next may. I'm pretty sure they want my cruiser dollars 🤑

Edited by reveur15
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, reveur15 said:

There is a big difference between Arrival/ departure port VS Port of call. Speaking for myself I will spend a whole week (and a lot of $$$$) in Barcelona before embarking next may. I'm pretty sure they want my cruiser dollars 🤑

Pretty sure the long trek to the port and the extra tax money applies whether you spent a week in Barcelona before your cruise or not.  Or do they pay for your taxi/shuttle if you show a card that says you spent a few nights at the local Hilton?

6 minutes ago, desibee said:

Pretty sure the long trek to the port and the extra tax money applies whether you spent a week in Barcelona before your cruise or not.  

I agree with you, it will be the same for me. But I think  that if the number of cruise ship in town is reduced, they should give priority to cruise ship that are embarking and disembarking. 

Edited by reveur15

2 minutes ago, reveur15 said:

I agree with you, it will be the same for me. But I think  that if the number of cruise ship in town is reduced, they should give priority to cruise ship that are embarking and disembarking. 

It'll be interesting to see if prime port spots are given to embarking ships over those doing a port stop.  But I think it's more likely that they will do like other countries have done and go by ship size, letting smaller ships use the ports closer to the city center while larger ships tender or port further away.

A lot about a little. This isn't realy huge news. Nearly all ships dock at the Moll d'Addosatt terminal now. The "cruise bus" route goes to all terminals in Moll d"Addosatt and the World Trade area near the Columbus Statue at the end of La Rambla. 

The change is no more cruise ships docking at the couple of piers near the World Trade. Again, most wouldn't have docked there anyway.

This will not change your experience in Barcelona. You will dock in Moll d"Addosatt and take the cruise bus to the WTC if you want to walk the area of La Rambla.... just like you do now.

Now if Barcelona followed the Venice approach to reducing cruise passenger trafic... that would be news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes.  Most large ships (Carnival, Holland America, Norwegian, RC, Celebrity) already dock at Moll d'Assodat, and have for many years. It is not a comfortable walk, and most people take the shuttle bus to the WTC pier area.  The big difference is that only 5 ships can dock there, so that will reduce the maximum number of people who can "visit" at one time.

Much ado about very little.  All Barcelona is doing is eliminating an excellent docking location that primarily served relatively small ships.  Their main cruise port, which can handle 4-5 large ships, remains unaffected.  There is also additional docking space in the commercial port area although this is somewhat more distant.

As to the main cruise ship area, most cruise lines run shuttle to the Columbus Statue (at the base of the Ramblas) and there is a regular local bus route that stops at the port.  For those of us who like long walks, it is also possible to walk from the port into town (we really enjoy the view as we cross the bridge).

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been my experience that catching a cab (especially if you have at least one companion) is not only cost effective but time saving as well. Several times I’ve hired a cab for a day for under €100 and often just to the Placa Cataluna at the far end of Las Ramblas or simply to the seaside end from whence (whence? Really?) we walk up Ramblas to Catalunya, stopping on the left side near Liceo at the Bouqueria market. Wonderful food stalls where indeed the taste of Espana awaits you. Crossing the major circle of Cataluna head for Passia deGracia with its high end shopping and a few blocks up on the left side, the famous Gaudi apartments: really a treat of imaginative architecture (do your homework and Google Gaudi to see if you are interested in Art Nouveau design

And here’s a discovery I made and pass this on to those who just want a leisurely look at something special..or have already visited the major sites.

Back to Placa Catalunya & restart up the Passia de Gracia on the right side & in a block or two you will see on your right a little alley leading to the massive, iron clad 19th C  foodie haven

>el nacional barcelona<  Google it.

You’re Welcome.

Be sure to visit the restrooms.

Also if you are a reader, I recommend SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Another site if you love stained glass windows is to tour the Acadamy of Music (Palau de la Musica).

Can you tell that I love this wonderful European city? It’s in a category all to itself.

Bon Voyage,

Susan

• Like 1