Live from the Star Legend by a brand new to Windstar sailor. Menus, wine lists, bar menus included. Istanbul to Athens Oct

HaveDogWillTravel

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

@HaveDogWillTravel this is excellent information and very welcome as a future first time Windstar cruiser myself!  Continue to have a great trip and whatever you feel like sharing with us will be very much appreciated!!

Thank you!

~Nancy

Thanks for letting me know you’re listening!  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

10/14/23

The captains reception started at 6 pm last night on the upper decks mid ship. There were trays of champagne, white and red wine passed around non stop thru 6:45. And all of it tasted good.  I am a bit picky about my wines and had no reason to complain. If your glass ran low, Gino would quickly refill it.  On other larger ships I’m used to either the cruise director or event planner would be doing all the talking and the bubbly served being not very good.  Windstar is as they say 180 degrees different. With the exception of a quick introduction by the entertainment director, the Captain did all the talking and introduced his officers.  He and his officers mingled and visited with us the entire time and never acted as if they were in a hurry to move on. 

I had some great conversations with many of them. In particular I enjoyed my time with the executive chef, Joseph Kalynuik.  He is incredibly passionate about food and it shows in the quality of everything we have eaten so far.  He explained that every night his team does a menu tasting in order to understand what they are serving. This is something Princess used to do but has not done in a long time. It absolutely affects the level of service if your servers have tasted the food they are serving so I was quite happy to hear this is part of Joseph’s daily routine. 

I really don’t eat pastries, muffins or desserts and on most all of my other sailings the ship has helped with that as even though the pastries/desserts look beautiful they taste horrible. Like they are made with margarine and powdered milk. On the Legend they look beautiful and you can taste the butter and heavy cream. Heavenly…..but really I have to stop eating them!  Unless of course Captain Terry joins us again in Yacht Club tomorrow.  It’d be rude not to eat something right?

Some more random information about the ship experience…….

We were told to just show up at the port with our travel docs and the crew would be expecting us. Which was sooooo weird.  No boarding pass, no luggage tags. But we were on the list and it was all quick and easy. 

Your room card (yep a real card) comes in a little wallet with another card with a QR code that you scan with your device. It opens the Windstar Wayfinder. It has most everything linked that you need to know. I’ll post screen shots.  It really works very well. I do miss the Princess medallion that lets me track where Adam is but it takes like 5 steps (ha ha) to get from one end of this ship to the other so it really hasn’t been a problem. 

Last night we ate at Candles.  We had the filet and the rack of lamb, the mushroom starter, the shrimp starter, sides of onion rings, potato and asparagus. I know food is subjective.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been on a ship sitting at a table eating the exact same food as my friends and the opinions would sometimes be veeeeery different. So what I say about food really pertains only to my and Adam’s experiences.  Our meat, starters and sides were all perfection. For us there was not even the tiniest flaw we could find. 

Adam and I have decided that even though Oceania has a more diverse menu, Windstar has better food overall…. again in our opinion….which for us is really all that matters. Having a smaller menu, we have found, lets Windstar do a better job on each and every item. For example, take the cut up melons in a buffet. Often on other ships the melon is cut too close to rind or it is extremely underripe. So not just meh but ughhh.  On the Legend, every bite of every piece of every fruit for 2 days now has been just great…. not under ripe, not over ripe, not hard with bits of rind. 

Every morning around 4:30, 5 am or so I go out to deck 7 forward in front of the bridge where it’s super dark and do some star gazing .  Then at 6 when the Yacht Club opens up I head up to deck 8 to see my favorite barista, Cindy. This morning Adam joined me on my morning rounds. While we were having our coffee, the Captain sat down and joined us with his coffee and donut. We sat and chatted for the next hour.  Among the plethora of things we discussed, he told us we have only 269 passengers on board.  Delightful conversation and again……so. Very. Different. Than any other ship.  The officers approach you and initiate discussions.  Brilliant! 

Today is Mykonos and we are going to take the public bus to the beach and restaurant where the movie Shirley Valentine was filmed. I’ve been a big fan of this film for at least 30 years. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 4

We walked from old town pier to the Fabrika bus stop a little past the windmills.

⁃    Took the Fabrika to Ornos to Agios Ioannis bus. 

⁃    1.80 euro each way. Bought a round trip ticket at the kiosk.  

⁃    Bus ride took 15-20 minutes.  

⁃    Buses come at ~30 minute intervals. 

⁃    Can wave them down from them from the road.

⁃    Hippy fish restaurant is where Shirley Valentine was filmed.

https://mykonosbusmap.com (https://mykonosbusmap.com)

https://mykonosbus.com/bus-timetables/#1555953369529-535afd32-cab3 (https://mykonosbus.com/bus-timetables/#1555953369529-535afd32-cab3)

• Like 1

A perfect end to a perfect day. 73 degrees a nice breeze. Really not crowded where we went. I did not think I’d like Mykonos from all I’d read about the stifling crowds. I was pleasantly surprised. The Shirley valentine beach is really nice , had only 4 people on it and next time I’m taking a suit and a towel. Of course we are off season.  But for me that’s the only way to travel. 
So Jacqueline out. I hope these posts help you in ways I wished I had access to when I was planning this trip. 

IMG_6768.jpeg

IMG_6769.jpeg

IMG_6773.jpeg

IMG_6770.jpeg

IMG_6771.png

IMG_6774.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ssawjo said:

The beer selection, not so much.  I may have to bring my own beer on board.

They typically have other beers such as Carlsberg, Stella, Corona, plus some local beers at times.  Also if you have a favorite and it's available in port, if you ask, they sometimes can pick it up and stock it in their bar.  I've seen that done and most of the time they are also not too picky if you bring back wine onboard (beer not so much however)

16 hours ago, hamrag said:

Great information and, yes would be good to hear what is offered at the Captains' reception. Also, is it clear what size a single measure of spirits is either in ounce or mls please.

TIA.

I know from attending the cocktail making demonstrations on board that the normal pour for the main spirit in a cocktail is normally 1.5 ounce. I haven't asked about straight spirit pours.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

He said (tongue in cheek)  the reason there’s not a lot Windstar social media is bc folks want to keep it a secret. 

A lot of it comes down to numbers. The probability that one passenger of  2000 or more on a mainstream line ship interested in live posting or writing a review is a lot higher than passenger on a 140 to 300 passenger ship. 

At full capacity, all 6 Windstar ships combined carry about 1500 passengers. That's less than the capacity of one ship for most mainstream lines. 

I don't think we are individually on average less communicative. There are just a lot fewer of us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

The executive chef (and me😊)

IMG_3289.jpeg

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but it's good to see a photo of the thread author so thank you for that and all the posts. Much appreciated by us. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

If having your preferred beer is as important to you as having my preferred wine is to me, I would bring it and deal with whatever happens at embarkation with grace knowing that the stated policies don’t allow it. In the worst case scenario you’d have to give it up and get it back at the end. Not a bad end game.  But even though I’m a nobody with this line I simply can not imagine that happening!

I just think that ALL cruise ships should have at least one or two local beers on board, that is, in Greece, a few Greek beers or in the Caribbean, a few island beers.  I can live without my favorite beer but like to taste/enjoy a local beverage.  A part of traveling, as I am sure you are well aware, is trying new things, and that includes beer and wine.

I am enjoying your ongoing review.  I will be a first time WS cruiser and your insights, etc. are very helpful.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

They typically have other beers such as Carlsberg, Stella, Corona, plus some local beers at times.  Also if you have a favorite and it's available in port, if you ask, they sometimes can pick it up and stock it in their bar.  I've seen that done and most of the time they are also not too picky if you bring back wine onboard (beer not so much however)

Thanks for that information.  I wrote my first response before seeing this one.  Enjoy.

Aloha. Your review and especially the food pictures and menus are delightful.  We have been blessed to have visited the ports but have not sailed with windstar and coincidentally received their massive brochure today!  Its not a matter of where to go but what ship so we are considering a smaller ship and more luxury lines. Thank you so much for taking time to post and enjoy!!!

• Like 1